1/32 Trumpeter P-40B..Going Dark

fightnjoe

Well it has been going on a month since I last updated this thread.  As for quantity there is not a lot.  However there is some progress.  

There are frames in the wing.

Wing-3_zpsr4z4ctiy.jpg

Now they are not fixed permanently, they are spot glued in to make sure they fit right.  

There is also some progress on my renditions of the wing guns.

Guns-1_zpskmmfsote.jpg

Guns-2_zpsz7nngudz.jpg

Like I said it does not look like much but it is progress.  I am much happier with the wing guns now.  

Next up will be a box for the guncarriage and the guns.  Need to find a bit more on the interior of the wing as there does appear to be a whole lot of empty there.

Till the next time, 

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

Just a quick update.

Work continued on the wing.  Frames are now installed and the gun bay as well as the ammo box.  Tonight the stringers were installed.  

Wing-6_zpslvumhiok.jpg

Wing-5_zpsy58vdrgo.jpg

Wing-4_zps14nla6bq.jpg

Next up will be the interior of the flaps.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

Confused a bit Dave.  I thought for the B version the guns were maintained from the bottom of the wing.

Joe

No. On all of the long nosed P-40's, the .30 cal guns are taken out through individual panels in the leading edge of the wing. Each gun has it's own ammo can on the side, in front of the main spar. Inner gun's can is on the inside. Outer gun's is on the outside. There is a small hatch on the top of the wing over each gun to to access the breech covers. The ejection ports are behind the main spar. The receiver sits in a hole in the main spar. Half in front and half behind the spar.

It looks like you are building gun and ammo bays for a short nosed D model. They have a similar gun bay and ammo bay setup as the E and most of the later models only the D's have two .50's in each wing as opposed to the three.

EDIT - Oops...I forgot that the early P-40-CU only had one .30 per wing and these had ammo cans that loaded from the top of the wing. Different than the short nose P-40, more like a mirror image of the bottom side of the 4 gun P-40's. See pages 60 and 61 in Dana Bell's book.

Edited by Dave 0

Dave do you by chance have pictures showing this?

Joe

Here is a good one showing the gun being installed.

c71dc469fdc19bba_large_zpsalnn5rcm.jpeg

Factory shot, you can see one of the doors for the outer gun ammo can open

click_zpsbcytr4kx.jpg

second aircraft - ammo box door open

ec1f69479706253c_large_zpsjjopj3cp.jpg