Rant about CyberHobby's 1/32 109E-4 fit problems!

SeaVenom

I've had this on the backburner for a while.  Completed most of it but I left it for a while because of the damn fit problems with the engine cowlings.   I feel like boycotting Dragon over the fit problems with this kit and it just shouldn't be like that on a supposed new state of the art kit.

I've tried sanding back the plastic on the lower cowling inside but that doesn't look like it will cure the problem.   I've seen other people having the same problems too so I wondered if anyone knows how I can get the lower engine cowling to fit without shaving loads of plastic away? 

I shelved my Swiss E-3 conversion for the same reason, sanding the gun breech cover, all engine cowl bits to paper thin levels didn't seem to help any. In the end for my E-4 build I took those lessons and left the guns and associated parts out, inserting some copper tubing into the underside of the engine cowl where the muzzles protrude and slid the gun barrels into them. I eliminated the engine completely just using some plastic sheet glues to the lower cowl for some backing for the exhausts to stick to. I felt my results were not perfect but ok. Also remember there should be a slight 'air gap' between the gun breech cover and cowl cover anyway as per real aircraft. I have a E-7 on order with HLJ and I'm adamant I'm going to get it right this time around after some trial and error with the other 2 versions. It's a shame because otherwise it is a great kit but sadly designed to be built with all cowls off showing the innards, and I like my models buttoned up. I checked my photo bucket thinking I had photos showing my work on the E-4 but I must have deleted them. Also from what I remember the engine bearers were an issue, I sanded them right down to no avail then decided to remove the engine totally. Only issue that left was how to fix the prop assembly to the nose. Very basically I cut a circular blank the same circumference as the hole at the end of the nose once all cowls were glue in place and stuck the prop assembly to that. Very much half assed. But you'd only know there was no engine in there if you got close and poked a light through the various openings. But I don't model for competition so that didn't bother me.

Edited by ade rowlands

I really don't think the kit was made so you can show off the engine as well as put the cowls on. But it can be done. I have built 7 of these kits and in my opinion they are the best 1/32 Bf-109E's out there. And best '109 kit also. It just takes some time and a little modeling skills to get it done.

Thanks all and interesting reading your experiences and fixes.   Oddly enough the top cowls now seem to fit with me (I'm sure I did something with the smaller engine cowling like trying to stretch it but I can't remember exactly what) but it's the bottom underside cowling that won't fit without ugly gaps.   I really don't want to have to cut chunks of the model off so I decided to build my spare just to see if it can be built so the parts aren't sticking out so much.   See if there's a way of building it so it all fits.