Wiring radial engines......

What is being used these days to simulate ignition wires on radial engines? What type and what gauge wiring do you guys use? I've been told to use soldering wire, telephone wire (who's has a phone with a cord these days...) small diameter lead wire. What do you guys use?

I've used wrapping wire in the past. 30 AWG. 0.019" diameter with the insulation, 0.009" diameter for the bare wire. If you have a good craft store nearby, I'd recommend beading wire. It's available in a variety of diameters. Just be sure to get solid, not stranded.

I use wire.  36 gage.  You can see it in the second post in the Fock Wulf thread in my signature.  And .005 mono filament.  From Dick's Sporting Goods.  I don't have any imagery of my using mono-filament on an engine.  But in post 340 on page 23 of the Mustang thread in my signature you'll be able to see it in use as engine compartment wiring.

Sincerely,

Mark

As you are in the states, I purchased a "lead wire assortment" from BassPro shops HERE that has proved most valuable for running ignition wires, cockpit wires, as well as all sorts of MLG bay wiring.

It has a six-compartment box, one for each of the sizes, which range from .010, .015, .020, .025, .030 and .035.

IMHO the thin lead stuff works best for me, as it takes curves well, and is always inclined to stay exactly where you put it, in the exact shape you put it in. The only cons are it is easily smashed, or crushed if you man-handle it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For the wire, i use lead wire used for fly fishing (to ballast the lures). They are sold in reel, there are several diameters, they are pretty cheap and will last a long time.

Thin copper wires will do it as well, but i prefer the lead wires as they are softer and i have a larger range of diameters.

Then, i drill small holes on the engine, put a small bit of micro-tube (about 0.5mm diam) inside and i have a set of spark plugs. Then i just have to put the lead wires inside. On the other side, on the ignition ring, it just depends of how the kit is made. I can make small holes on the small cylinders of the ring, or just glue the wires behind the ring if they are too small to be drilled.

• 2 months later...

I most often used copper wires of varying sizes from different electrical cords. I like to anneal it before using it which has a twofold effect. First it makes it more pliable and easier to work with and second it gives it an old used look like natural weathering.