Hasegawa 1:48 F4U-4B Corsair

sluggo

Rescued from shelf of doom. Not even sure why I shelved it besides the interior paint job sucked.

I ran across it while digging out my 48th scale stuff to take to the show in Houston next month. Going through the boxes to make sure kits were complete, I ran into this rig, boxed up seeming only needing a bit more rescribing and glue the wing on.

Just so happens, I've been on the hunt for another paint mule.

Fair warning................... This will in no way be a standard Corsair paint job. I'm testing the boundaries of what I can do in this scale and I'm a bit of an odd duck anyway.

Here it is fresh out of the box, wing glued on and test fitting masks.

timesup00001.jpg

A coat of primer.

timesup200001.jpg

A light coat of Testors metallic black lacquer.

timesup200006.jpg

As of about an hour ago. All the mask work is Alclad transparent colors over pearl white. Once cleared it should have a nice candied effect.

reaper00002.jpg

reaper00004.jpg

Hope to button up the paintwork tomorrow and bury the paint edges in clear. I smooth everything over with 4000 so that's not as bad as it sounds. Once the clear has cure for a day or two, I'll knock it down dead flat starting with 6000 and work my way up to 15000 before I put a final coat of clear on it.

Laid down some clear. I did not anticipate the transparent red letting loose a little under the clear. Next time I'll seal the transparent colors prior to clear coating. Too late to fix it now. It'll have to be what it is.

This was experimental in nature anyway.

reaper30001.jpg

reaper30002.jpg

reaper30003.jpg

reaper30004.jpg

reaper30006.jpg

reaper30007.jpg

reaper30008.jpg

reaper30009.jpg

End of the road for this project. 

Cracked the canopy, windscreen and port wing root while color sanding and polishing.

It served it's paint mule purpose quite bravely and will reside on the shelf with the other paint mules as a reference for all eternity.

I was able to bury the graphics under the clear as hoped. You can neither see nor feel the paint edges.

reaper40001.jpg

reaper40002.jpg

Sorry to hear of your issues with this. That black, once clear coated, is awesome. I have the same black (along with Mystic Emerald), that I'll be painting on a 1:25 Peterbilt 359 pretty soon.

Sorry to hear of your issues with this. That black, once clear coated, is awesome. I have the same black (along with Mystic Emerald), that I'll be painting on a 1:25 Peterbilt 359 pretty soon.

The "Blazin' Black" paints pretty nice straight out of the can. 

Been tossing this around in my head a bit. I can overcome the wing pretty easy as it has a nice tight fit. The canopy is not terribly noticeable. 

If I can successfully make the prop and spinner appear chrome plated, I'm going to forge ahead.

The "Blazin' Black" paints pretty nice straight out of the can. 

Been tossing this around in my head a bit. I can overcome the wing pretty easy as it has a nice tight fit. The canopy is not terribly noticeable. 

If I can successfully make the prop and spinner appear chrome plated, I'm going to forge ahead.

Ive had stellar luck with polishing out kitchen foil to replicate chrome..............but for complex/compound curves like a spinner/prop boss, Ive had decent luck replicating chrome with Alclads chrome over gloss black enamel:

DSC00910.jpg

DSC01129.jpg

DSC01151.jpg

Brian,

That's a fabulous piece of work right there!

I started to give the prop a black base coat but decided against it. I just polished the crap out of it and sprayed Alclad chrome over it.

It's decent enough. Also was able to clean up the canopy quite a bit. I'm going to finish polishing out the rest of the bird and put the wheels and an aerial on it and probably call it done. 

reaper50001.jpg

Brian,

That's a fabulous piece of work right there!

I started to give the prop a black base coat but decided against it. I just polished the crap out of it and sprayed Alclad chrome over it.

It's decent enough. Also was able to clean up the canopy quite a bit. I'm going to finish polishing out the rest of the bird and put the wheels and an aerial on it and probably call it done.

reaper50001.jpg

Lovely!!!! I like it. Definitely don't trash that one!