Albatros D.III, Jasta Boelcke

LSP_K2

what are those car door panels for Kev

'70 Dodge Challenger T/A, Ron. I've been a huge fan of the car since it was first introduced, but will never be able to afford a real one, so I intend to get some vicarious thrills from this model. My last finished Challenger was given to a neighbor when I moved out. This one will be painted Testors Ice Blue lacquer, and I really hope it comes out nice.

70 Challenger, huh? You would have died at Barrett-Jackson; they had some really, really nice ones there. Better be carrying 6 figures to buy one, though, at least the Hemi ones. Collectors sure adore them. Me, Corvette all the way.

Hi Kevin,

Nice start on a subject I've always liked. I may be a bit late to the party, but regarding your question regarding wood inside vs. outside - what you see's on the outside is what you see's on the inside. You're looking at the inner side of the plywood that's covering the outside. Birch ply by nature is a very tight grained wood, and aircraft grade lumber has very few, if any knots, so no need to try to replicate knots.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks, Mike. Yep, Birch was certainly used for the fuselage exterior (and perhaps the interior framing as well), but I wanted to introduce some variety to the interior, so the darker colors seemed a good bet. Perhaps not accurate as such, but that's OK with me.

70 Challenger, huh? You would have died at Barrett-Jackson; they had some really, really nice ones there. Better be carrying 6 figures to buy one, though, at least the Hemi ones. Collectors sure adore them. Me, Corvette all the way.

I can only imagine. The web is packed with great shots of restored Challengers, and I've snatched many over the years, to use for reference . Oddly enough, though I'll be doing this particular kit as "modified curbside", I actually prefer the Challengers as they came from the factory. I like Vettes too, but still prefer the old Mopar muscle from 1970.

COBRA !........Harv

One of the rich boys from the area where I used to work, had a really pimped Cobra kit car. I used to hear him entering the parking lot of our business, despite being in my office on the far side of the building. That 427 made a lot of noise,... beautiful noise though.

Thanks, Mike. The overall color of the plywood is OK with me, but I fear the rest is too "reddish" looking. I'm going to proceed with it the way it is though, as very little of it will actually be seen anyway.

• 1 month later...

Now that I have a CO2 tank refill, Yay!, painting can continue. To that end, I'm creating a new photo backdrop for this (as well as other appropriate subjects). I've long had a particular fondness for storm clouds and thunderstorms, and I like to have this be reflected in my model photos once in a while. This is not finished by any stretch, but conveys the general idea. It's sort of a “one size fits all†backdrop, though I'll also be making at least one that's specifically to be used behind my rotating WWI fighter display in the living room.

bg%20001_zpsuukfiobu.jpg

• 4 months later...

Kevin I've got this same model and am

trying to replicate the wooden plywood

panels on the aircraft. Hope you haven't

given up on this build, if you have I 

would like to know if there are any issues 

with the kit.

Thanks

Carl    :whistle:  :whistle:

• 3 months later...

Just dropped by to catch up from where I left off.

SUPER work so far. ... done any more?

:clap2:

No I haven't, and I need to rectify that. Over the course of the next two weeks, I expect to see major modeling done, and may well throw this one back on the bench. Thanks for looking in.

Have no fear, Greg, I'll get 'er done.