1/32 Revell Smithsonian Hawker Hurricane IIc

Scotty3173

Hi everyone...  I am new to this group, but like I said in my profile, I have been modeling since I have been about 7 or 8 years old.  My father was a big-time collector of kits...he did much more buying than building.  He had around 600 kits on shelves in his basement at the high point.  As he is now 70 years old, he begun to "diperse" some of the kits to me.  I have always been a 1/35 WWII armor guy, but I now have about 30 1/32 aircraft kits that he has parted with.  I have the old "History Makers" series, Hasegawa Minicraft, and Revell Smithsonian series kits, etc., etc....the only drawback is that they are all about 30 years old!  My father laughs and tells me that is when modeling was real and kits did not just put themselves together!

I just currently started the 1/32 Revel Smithsonian Hawker Hurricane IIC. I was thrilled with the overall dry fit of the fuselage to the wings, especially for an older kit.  And then the problems started.  I do not want to spend much extra on this kit since it is so old.  I just want a basic OBB with the addition of some seatbelts.  With that being said, the cockpit is rudimentary and has a horrible fit into the fuselage.  The seatback piece has to be positioned out of place in order to fit the cockpit.  This required dry fitting the cockpit and gluing the seat back where it had to be, and then some filling and sanding the gaps because the seat back had to be positioned further back.  The sides of the cockpit also had to be modified to fit.

The only other issue, so far, with dry fitting was the placement of the wings to the fuselage.  The upper wing pieces had this sort of locking system to fit the fuselage.  These locks were placed too high up and the wings fit awkwardly.  Those locking pieces were removed and after some further sanding and scraping, the fit is excellent.

Does anyone have any experience with the kit?  Any suggestions?

Once I figure out how to post pictures, I will start doing so!

:thumbsup:  Scott

Glue the tops of the wings to the fuselage sides first, then glue the bottom wing to the finished fuselage wing assembly.

You'll get a tighter joint that way.

And welcome to the forum.

Ryan

Edited by Ryan

I've build the old Revell Hurricane a while ago. It was a fun build even on such an old kit. Can't recall any problems with the kit at all. ( But then again I can't recall anything if it happened before the weekend......   ;)     )

Here's my build in Dutch;    http://www.plakkers-inc.nl/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2389

and here on LSP;     http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=48747&hl=

Best regards;

Ulrich

Edited by Plasticsurgeon

Here are the beginnings of the cockpit...

This is after the seatback has been repositioned and filling and sanding on the seatback joints to the bottom piece have been performed.  It fits quite nicely into the fuselage now.

HH7_zpsb6331c50.jpg?t=1412966167

I found this seatbelt product online.  It is laser printed seatbelts.  I purchased a bunch of RAF, USN, and Luftwaffe for $6 total.  I think that they are perfect for these older aircraft that I don't want to spend a ton of money on.

HHC1_zps83a60e05.jpg?t=1412966229

You just cut them out with a sharp knife and glue them in place.

HHC2_zpsec07b9af.jpg?t=1412966264

HHC3_zpsd142263c.jpg?t=1412966316

Hey, are those seat belts photo etch or something else? Where did you get them? Like to get some myself!

I got them on Ebay.  I just typed in a search for 1/32 RAF seatbelts and they came up.  They are on a thicker card stock paper that you cut out with a sharp blade.  The seller is "driver21winston100kerry".  They are $6 with free shipping.  For the $6, he sent something like 40 seatbelts for RAF, Luftwaffe, and USN.  I figured I would try them out for the older models...and they do look good.

Welcome aboard sir!

:post1:

Great to see someone who's not afraid to tackle these old clunkers. Speaking of which...

Not a bad fit for a kit from 1986...

I'm afraid the Revell Hurricane was already ancient by 1986. The earliest release we have listed in our Kit Database is 1970. It got trotted out yet again 4 or 5 years ago.

Kev

Wooaa.....

Old kit....but hey..

It is so cool to d

See one handle one Hurricane, they are a rare breed seeing built...i like them aircraft...sadly they never were in in the spotlight during ww2 cayse the spit...but rgey were s true workhorse as ive understood it....

So keep em coming im looking forward to see more.

also Welcome to this forum.

/Mal