rlm 81 Aeromaster

skiner

The answer to your question is "yes".

?

Jennings, I'm sure your French is as good as Didier's English so why not enlighten him, and the rest of us, to the meaning of your answer ?

His question is grammatically correct. Which of the two - 81a or 81 - is more realistic ? Les deux ? Aucun des deux peintures ne convient ?

Apologies to Didier for my "rusty" French.

Tony

I agree with your statement Mike. It intelligently raises the ambiguity of the colour. And, I'm not really sure I care what colour my olives are in a nice glass of ice cold gin !

Aeromaster were obviously hedging their bets to satisfy both camps, but the majority opinion - from what I've been reading over the past few weeks - seem to be in favour of "braun" as a basis of RLM 81, whether it be "braunviolet", "dunkelbraun" or "olivbraun".

Colour batches may have varied due to local mixes, but "Braun" seems a common denominator.

I'm seeking an answer to this question myself, naively expecting there is one somewhere, but I guess it's one of those mysteries that will never be fully resolved. I'm going with what it says on the tin of a supplier who makes just one RLM 81 hue.

Tony

Without meaning to hijack Didier's thread, this is the reason I want to know...

(and yes, I know it's a modern replica. I'm interested in late 44 / early 45 RLM 81 braunviolett)...

03b9b464-213e-4d64-a38b-9b60102192fb.jpg

Tony

Very useful. Thanks. I'll be doing earlier Bf 109 G-6/10's in grey/blue camo and am currently in the Schwalbe grun/braunviolett groove, but with all the new kits coming out or very likely to, including the Pfeil and Arado 234, the late war RLM conundrum is a fascinating subject. Half the fun of building is the research.

I hope Didier has got an answer. I guess it all depends on his chosen subject ?

The more I read, the more I am beginning to appreciate the variance that existed, rooted in diverse production facilities operating under difficult circumstances, the German communication 'maschines' which used only digit references, not descriptions, local mixes from paste base colours, colourblind staff and those that had to 'make do', not to mention fading, weathering or contamination, and a peculiarly male reluctance to be colour accurate or precise, rendering verbal descriptions inadequate. Actually, if I was being bombed I'm not sure it would be braunviolett vs dunkelgrun which would be causing me to lose sleep !

Tony

Grey/blue? If 83 was Blue I don't expect it ever to have been applied on land a/c.

Myself I like the brown/green cammo, but will also do a bf 109 or two in the green/green style.

Truly the late Luftwaffe schemes are not for those with decision anxiety!

Grey/blue? If 83 was Blue I don't expect it ever to have been applied on land a/c.

Myself I like the brown/green cammo, but will also do a bf 109 or two in the green/green style.

Truly the late Luftwaffe schemes are not for those with decision anxiety!

74/75 'greys' + 76, not dark or bright blue. 76 has a blue shift, not as bold as the earlier 78 but it reminds me of FS 595 36473 'COIN gray' used by FAC aircraft in Vietnam. I've heard all sorts about RLM 74/75 too - hints of green or violet about them. Very subtle though. Maybe some of it is "Agfacolour" shift !?

Tony

The answer to the question is yes.  Put 999 Luftwaffe "experts" in a room and you're going to get 999 opinions about what color RLM 81 was.

Jennings, please tell me who you consider to be the "top three" and I'll pay heed to their observations.

Don't need to know the other 996 names.

Tony

IMHO the guy who created those two Aeromaster colors (Gaston Bernal) isn't one of them.

That's belonging to the games theory improbability school of thought, but probably answers Didier's question.

To be totally honest, had he shown those colours asking "guess which?" I would most likely have thought FS 30219 and 34102 Vietnam colours ! Too much time around F-111s, which I still rate # 1.

Me thinks taking an FS 595 chip fan deck and Pantone chart along to museums may actually be a productive process, assuming they're not resprays, or leave portions of the original for viewing.

Tony

You can count on one hand (with several fingers left over) the number of unrestored WWII Luftwaffe airplanes that still have their original Luftwaffe camouflage paint intact.

Dommage

Tony