Revell 1/32 BF-109G-10 Erla

Uncarina

Looking good, Tom! You'll be happy with the Barracuda parts, especially the oil coller, because the fit is amazing!

I was surprised to see that part 35 was so short. I've never had that on my builds. I know that the kit has two similar looking parts; 35 and 36. One is too short, so I used the other one, which fits quite good actually and I didn't have to alter the filter parts either. 

I look forward to your next post and have fun !

Nic

Nic,

I checked and you are absolutely right: I used part 36 instead of 35. No excuse, but both are marked on the parts map for use, and I didn't pay enough attention. The required part would fit just fine. I will be more careful in finding parts from now on! Thanks again for pointing this out.

Cheers, Tom

Tom,

Well, it looks like you adapted the part, so that's pretty impressive job you did ! I don't think you will have any trouble with the kit or with the Barracuda parts. In my last build, I did adapt the position of the tailwheel. My friend Kees Mol (who is a 109 late war connaisseur) told me it should be quite straight up, so I glued it to a steeper angle. 

I agree: it's the kind of kit that is nice to have in between big projects. Then again... I've almost finished five 109's recently, but no big project so far. Working on it though!

Have you decided what markings you are going for? 

Take care and have fun!

Nic

Nic,

Thanks for the tip about the tail wheel! I have the Eagle Editions decal sheet for JG 300, so I'm looking at either "Black 11" or "Green 7". I like the red landing gear leg of the first, but am not so sure I want another 74/75/76 aircraft. I know that "Green 7" is a popular choice, but also not sure I want to build a mostly dark aircraft. Hmmm... still thinking about it!

Cheers,  Tom

I've completed most of the build. Aside from my glitch from selecting the wrong part for the oil cooler, it has been pretty smooth, and the fit and detail have been great. I've left the rudder and stabs unglued for the time being. When fitting a drop tank, be sure to open the four holes in parts 99 or 185 (you get a choice). I didn't see this in the instructions, but caught it in time. Just need to assemble the landing gear and get the parts from Barracuda, and I'll be ready for paint!

IMG_0508_zps987d79db.jpg

IMG_0509_zps4c916418.jpg

IMG_0511_zpsa33adcd7.jpg

Cheers,  Tom

Boris,

Thanks very much! I haven't built a Trumpeter 109 but this kit is even more fun than the Hasegawa offerings. I think part of the appeal of this airplane as a subject is that much of the upper and lower fuselage seams don't need filling, since they're also on the real thing!

Cheers, Tom

Iain,

Thanks for checking in, and thanks for your kind words! I agree with this stage it gets easier, though in this case the only hard part so far was when I used the wrong part!

Cheers, Tom

An update: The BarracudaCast parts arrived!

I ordered:

BR32156 Bf 109G-10 Intake and Exhaust Set

BR32123 Bf 109G-10 and K-4 Prop and Spinner

BR32171 Bf 109G/K Prop and Spinner Alignment Jig

The parts arrived in good shape (literally) after being in my 100F+/40C+ mailbox for several hours. Others have reviewed most of the parts, but I wanted to focus on the last item, the alignment jig, which I haven't seen yet reviewed.

Here's what you get:

IMG_0521_zps4920d5a9.jpg

It consists of an alignment jig for drilling the center hole in the spinner, and a prop alignment jig for both the G-6 prop and the G-10/K-4 prop. The latter is pretty nice because it sets the pitch and the distance the prop protrudes from the spinner. Here it is in action:

IMG_0517_zpsd448a474.jpg

IMG_0519_zpscf9edd4d.jpg

IMG_0518_zps07f45a43.jpg

Overall it is a cheap ($4.95) and handy tool, especially if you are like me and plan to use more BarracudaCast props and spinners in the future!

Cheers,  Tom