Pair of Friends, Pair of Huns Pair o Dice UPDATE 10/6 Masks!

LSP_Paul

Guest Clunkmeister

Paul schooled me on the "firsts" about a month ago. Pretty amazing feats, all to be proud of, except for maybe the "First supersonic ejection" one..  :0

I'm gonna be cutting some more resin on mine tonite as well, and all tomorrow afternoon and evening. my wife has a concert the ladies are going to, so I'll have time..

Jack, keep the faith, bro, it's all good. Us old timers gotta show the young 'uns a thing or two.... 

Edited by Clunkmeister

Looking good, keep up the hard work!

Thanks Bill! I am trying to structure this build to help folks who have not worked with a major resin conversion by making it visually and descriptively explanatory, and hopefully entertaining as well. :)  Though I am using a set designed for this particular model, the tools and techniques would be just as applicable to an armor conversion or all resin aircraft or even a "kitbash" as we call them in the world of model railroading.. The keys I keep stressing are prep work and dry fitting.

I hope other modelers who have not yet tried something this involved will gain some level of understanding and develop a desire to step outside the box contents once they see this process step by step. Obviously a lot of the LSP membership has already advanced beyond a lot of these practices, but for those who haven't please feel free to ask questions if I haven't made something clear enough as I go along. For those of you who already know what's going on, please feel free to comment as well! 

More pictures of more steps soon.

Paul 

Paul schooled me on the "firsts" about a month ago. Pretty amazing feats, all to be proud of, except for maybe the "First supersonic ejection" one..  :0

I'm gonna be cutting some more resin on mine tonite as well, and all tomorrow afternoon and evening. my wife has a concert the ladies are going to, so I'll have time..

Jack, keep the faith, bro, it's all good. Us old timers gotta show the young 'uns a thing or two.... 

I can smell burning resin dust and melting plastic from 1900 miles away,  so I know Ernies working on his Super Saber, and I'm sure it's going to be impressive!  Take it Slow and Easy Ern, we got till December. :)

Your Friend,

Paul  

Edited by av8shunmodels

Paul. .

OUTSTANDING Workmanship ..

In awe of your work.

COOL!

:punk:

Thanks Maru!  I don't know about "outstanding", but I'm happy with it. :) If somebody else gets something out of the process ( even if it's a laugh) then I did my bit. 

Thanks for checking in on my build. More pics to follow.

Paul 

OK Folks  Next phase, correct the cockpit!  But Wait .. I bought an Aires cockpit set and said it was a drop in fit on my earlier post! What more could i want ? 

Well  Yes, it is a drop in fit BUT  It drops into the  wrong spot!   When Trumpeter designed the cockpit  parts, they made a compromise on some details that had to do with the position of the ammo bays and the cockpit  tub, then when they did that, they had to extend the seat forward with some fantasy supplemental rails behind the  ejection seat to get it to be in the correct position  fore and aft in the tub. I could have left  it alone and not many would have known, but the look just bugged me. I saw how Barry tackled this issue on his build, and had a go at fixing mine in a similar way. I am not however going to do what Barry has done and try and  change the angle on my side panels, they are fine for me, Barry's looks great but I am leaving mine alone. Moving the rear bulkhead behind the ejection seat was nerve wracking enough for me thank you.  :)

Ok Step one : Identify and remove the offending detail. I have marked the areas that need attention on the unmodified parts in black sharpie.

In this case I decided the best place to start was by VERY carefully thinning the bulkhead at the rear of the tub with my Dremmel tool until it was thin  enough to cut carefully and remove from the tub. I only thinned the areas that need to be cut though and left the upper section of the bulkhead alone.

DSC00696_zps155f58c7.jpg

DSC00697_zpsb9b31c01.jpg

Before  thinning

DSC00698_zps6657b9fc.jpg

After thinning

DSC00700_zps61399316.jpg

More...

Once The parts were thinned and details removed, I used a brand new # 11 blade and lightly scored the seams from inside the cockpit tub until the rear bulkhead popped out.

DSC00701_zps117dac9b.jpg

The rear bulkhead ready for clean up.

DSC00702_zpsc629dd7f.jpg

From here remove all the raised detail except for the breaker boxes on the inside of the rear bulkhead..

Then Glue it all back in place 1/16th of an inch forwaqrd of where it was

DSC00705_zpsdeffb534.jpg

I also went ahead and made a new map case/ box since the one molded by Aires represents a literally cut  view drawing they mastered in 3 D..

Here are the parts  assembled back into their correctly spaced orientation.

DSC00703_zps84182e51.jpg

Basically, you move the rear bulkhead 1/16th of an inch forward and glue it in place. This will give you the correct location for the ejection seat, and eliminates the "double bulkhead/rail"  thing Trumpeter and Aires tried to pass off as correct.

DSC00704_zps6805fe5e.jpg

Corrected parts..

DSC00709_zps93ddb358.jpg

Now all I have to do is add 1/16 of an inch to the forward edge of the  deck that goes  behind the rear bulkhead and I'm good to go.

Thanks for looking in on my build, and if you have an questions or comments please feel free!

All the best,

Paul 

DSC00710_zpsae48634e.jpg

Thanks Harv, I'm glad you're enjoying my build so far. Here is a view looking straight down showing where the 16th inch gap is. Very easy fix with some strip styrene. 

I will also now correctly  locate my guide rails that are tacked in place to sit on top of the deck extension when I add it. More pics soon.

DSC00712_zps9a7fb5e3.jpg

Paul 

Edited by av8shunmodels

Tonight's Update:  I'm going to keep the words short and let the pics talk. The gear bays and pit are still being worked on and the pit has no wash's or yellow and black striping done yet.   I do need to go back and blow the resin dust out of the gear bays . :)

Here are the cockpit shots of the cockpit in progress

e7ee96b1-6a7d-406c-b7b7-e411b43f52a6_zps

DSC00727_zps52750861.jpg

DSC00716_zps40dad56e.jpg

DSC00715_zpsa1547777.jpg

DSC00714_zps4009c8b8.jpg

DSC00713_zpsf0e3c185.jpg

DSC00729_zps3165f35a.jpg

More on next post

Edited by av8shunmodels

The Gear Bays. As I said, I have to go back and blow out the resin dust and finish some detailing, but I'm happy with them so far. All of this stuff still isnt glued in, it fits in place with just the body being taped together.  :)

DSC00730_zps9904f3df.jpg

DSC00732_zps4e54b8bf.jpg

DSC00722_zps07c09bd4.jpg

DSC00719_zps29a9a60c.jpg

Thanks for checking in on my build,

Paul 

Edited by av8shunmodels

Thanks Harv. I LOVE painting Cockpits. That's not a pre painted Eduard IP that's Aires, comes as raw brass. I painted it and put the film in behind the bezels, pain in the butt but they turned out ok I think. Harold sent me a BEAUTIFUL seat to use, but Ernie is using it in his and I don't want them identical, so I'll do mine using the Aires seat just to make it different enough to notice. I may also put a pilot in mine, still thinking on that, so no seat belts molded in makes that easier.

Thanks for looking in on my build!

Paul 

I dunno Harv, a well painted pilot with some expression to him, really would look neat I think.. I'm going to sleep on it.

Teresa is almost done with her mig. so Well be posting her "finished" pics here as soon as she is done and we take them.

Paul