AZ Model/Admiral 1/48 Heinkel He 70K *FINISHED!*

mywifehatesmodels

Apparently photobucket doesn't like me tonight. Hopefully, by the time I get this post typed up, I'll be able to upload/post my pics. :BANGHEAD2:

I spent most of today working on the engine, cowl and prop. I tried to get the bracing in the cowl. I really did. However, it got the best of me in the end and I had to leave it out, for fear of really messing something up. Had I known about this earlier, I could have planned a little bit better for it. In any case, it still looks fine without it and if you didn't know it was supposed to be there, you wouldn't know the difference (Heck, I didn't even know it was supposed to be there until yesterday!).

On the plus side of things, the cowl fits like a glove. The spinner and prop was another story, however. When I painted the spinner, I had tacked the back plate to the front and primed/painted them together. Before doing this, I had even marked the inside of both, to key them to a specific spot for the best fit. Once I installed the prop blades, the front of the spinner no longer wanted to seat to the back plate. I had to carefully cut/sand out the holes for the blades, in the front of the spinner, to get it seat better. They still didn't fit as well as when I painted them, but at least I got them together and straight....finally. So, from that point, I went ahead and glued the prop onto the shaft that I had made. At first, it stuck out a little too far, so I took about 1.5mm off the front of the shaft and then all was well.

Next, I went back to add some paint chips with aluminum paint and very fine brush. Then, I touched up a few panel lines and added oil streaks coming from behind the cowl and oil cooler, using watercolors. After that, I added a little bit more "dirt" and colors with pastel chalk (a yellow ochre worked really well on the green and brown portions to add just a hint of color filter). Then the exhaust stains with black/brown pastel chalk and I finished by sealing everything off with a final flat coat. Once that was dry enough to handle, I removed the masks.

The masks came off pretty well on the canopy. I used Tamiya tape on all of the panels except the windshield where I used Micro-Mask, due to the difficulty I had getting the tape to stick to the curves. The masks did leave a little bit of chipping that I'll have to touch up. The fuselage side windows will need some cleaning up, as well. I used Micro-Mask for those, too. The funny thing is that the windows are somewhat recessed, as was discussed earlier in this thread. However, when I removed the masks from them, they look a lot better than with them on. You have to get really close to see how sunk in they are, which is another plus. From a foot away, they look flush.

So, I've now typed this all up and PB is STILL not working. So, I'll have to post the pics later (maybe after I find another hosting site, because this is really frustrating!). :angry2:

Thanks for checking in, though!

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Okay, so PB is working, this morning. Last night I made one more attempt before going to bed, but finally got a message saying they were "down for maintenance". That's okay, I guess, so long as they used that maintenance to fix all the issues that people have been having recently. <_<

So, here goes.....

20140911_234447_zpse67dc99b.jpg

20140911_234514_zpsedbb5b03.jpg

20140911_234543_zpsc07574a6.jpg

20140911_234604_zps8a9bc40a.jpg

20140911_234658_zps32a90061.jpg

20140911_234715_zps187a7b90.jpg

Thanks again,

John

Thanks, OD.

Here you go: http://www.fortepan.hu/_photo/download/fortepan_18353.jpg

I'm not so sure that this isn't an He 170, either. There seems to be a lot of confusion on what's a 70 or 170 out there, as well. I believe the big difference would be less of a "gull" wing on the 170? :shrug:

John

Thanks, from what I understand the only difference between the two was a different engine and prop for the export version which Heinkel renamed the He 170. Sort of like Dornier calling the export version of the 17Z the 215. If the photo was the Hungarian version perhaps the cowl support rods weren't the same anyway. With the prop turning one can't tell if its a Hamilton standard so who knows. Your model is looking great and I doubt if there are any He 70 experts around anyway ! Model on !

Thanks, Kevin.

You know, your comment reminds me of a conversation that I had, just two nights ago. I was actually on the phone with a fellow LSP member and he said something to the effect of "No aircraft can really be ugly". I have to agree with the essence of what he was saying. However, I also have to admit that, the first time I saw this plane (the radial engine variant, anyway), I thought that it was "ungainly", at least. However, after getting this kit to the point where it actually resembles an airplane, I'm starting to see it's lines for what they are. When explaining to another friend, who was not familiar with the type, what it looked like, I said,  "if a He 111, a Spitfire and a Corsair had some sort of 'love fest', it would have spawned this!". However, the more I look at it, the lines are more bird-like, resembling a stork or goose, which are actually quite graceful when in flight. So, in short, this one kind of has to grow on you.

Thanks again,

John

I spent this morning doing some touch-ups and starting work on the landing gear. I decided to glue the main gear legs in place, before painting them, to make sure that the adhesion of the glue was optimum. I also started looking at the tail wheel layout. The kit provides two different options here. However, neither one of them appear to be quite correct for the Hungarian variant.  The original He 70 had a braced skid, instead of a wheel. This is included in the kit, but it also has a more conventional tail wheel. I do have one photo showing what appears to be the conventional wheel, but none showing a straight skid arrangement. Most photos, however, show a conventional wheel, but with a cover or "pant" on the top half of the wheel, itself, and the wheel appears to be smaller. Now, the box art on the front shows what should be most common. However, the profiles on the side of the box show the panted wheel, but also the brace that was found on the skid. Here's a picture of the kit parts, with the skid being circled.

20140912_112557_zps4a16015e.jpg

So, I cut the skid part from the sprue and actually used the skid, itself, as the "pant" for the new wheel. I just flipped it upside down and did a little sanding to make it look closer to the pictures. At first, I was using the profiles on the box's side as a guide, so I made a brace for it, as well. The small wheel came from my spares box (It's actually a wheel from a 1/144 scale Mig 23!) and I cut/glued it to the new "pant". However, I've since determined that the brace doesn't need to be there, according to photos. So, I'll be removing that shortly, but you get the idea.

20140912_120031_zpsf0bd7890.jpg

The next thing to do will be to finish the main wheels/gear and get the doors in place. There are a lot of doors/covers for the main gear, so it could prove to be a little tricky. We'll see.

John

Thanks, Mal.

I'm actually thinking of replacing the wheel, itself, yet again. In doing a test fit of everything to the model, I think I went with too small of a wheel. So, I need to go back to the spares box(es) to search for a more suitable replacement. A minor issue, though. Otherwise, everything seems to be coming along pretty well.

Thanks again!

John