Fisher Sea Fury FB.II UPDATE:9/1/14: FINISHED

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Alain

The kit comes with a solid one piece wing and my order was for the non-folding wing as well. Since this was the latest version of the Fisher Sea Fury, it also included the new style cowing and engine insert.  My conversations (emails) with Paul, determined the new cowl was two 'tall' in cross section and the wing might also be a bit off, leading to the fit mis-match. Paul sent me two replacement wings and two additional cowls; one the new style and one the old style. The old style cowl and one of the older wings turned out to be the best fit combination.

Reading through the instructiosn, it apprears that the earlier kits had a two piece wing (top and bottom) and the gear bay was a seaparate part. The kit has evolved over the years and the wing is now one solid, beautiful casting.

Peter

Hi Peter 

thank you for your answer ...I was a bit surprised when I saw your pictures , because I have the "old " version with the wing in two pieces , I tested the fit , yes there is a gap at the wings "root" , but nothing catastrophic ...A good idea that bay in a separated piece , it could be easier to improve this area with some wires etc ........Happy modeling 

bye Alain

Guest Peterpools

Hi Alain

Glad I was able to help out. Now that my fit problems have been sorted out, I'm off and running. One awesome kit and airplane

Looking forward to seeing your Sea Fury.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 6/29/14 A WING AND A PRAYER

With one last gallant try, I cut the engine insert out of the original cowl, carefully sanding all the high spots and I was finally able to fit it into the “new style†replacement cowl. Test fitting it on the fuselage, it was better then the original cowl but still a bit too tall. The old style cowl was also assembled with it's engine plug but but seemed a bit too wide with issues at the top of the cowling. Damn the torpedoes, I decided to go with the new style cowl and do the best I could.

The vertical fin leaned to the left and with some gentle heat from a hair dryer, I hopefully worked it straight and true I. The front office was finished up, gun sight added ( the reflector sight glass would be added just before the windscreen goes on, since I know I'll keep knocking it off until I actually loose the part) and then the completed assembly was glued into the fuselage, first with CCA and then JB Weld Epoxy for peace of mind.

The Nav lights were drilled out for the red and green bulbs and then worked into place, sanded and polished. Flaps, ailerons, horizontal stabilizers and elevators were all cleaned up and made ready for installation when needed.

With the fuselage, cowl and wing cleaned up and ready to go, the moment of truth had arrived. The replacement wing was glued into place with CCA and let dry for about 12 hours. The inside seam was reinforced with extra CCA and then JB Epoxy weld. While the gaps and seams still need to be cleaned up and dealt with, I was chomping at the bit to see how all the other major components fitted and looked. With the cowl, tail feathers, spinner and prop taped in place, the Big Sea Fury was starting to take shape.

From here all the major parts first need to be glued in place and then it's seam filling, sanding and polishing time – oh what fun!

Thanks for checking in

Peter

untitled-31_zps110a84a4.jpg

untitled-32_zps4ef13c68.jpg

untitled-34_zps80a60831.jpg

untitled-35_zpsb7da3eb7.jpg

oh boy she looks beautiful!

well done for working through the kinks Peter - Paul is a great guy and I know would have been very keen to help out & put this right

I may be biased but I think the Sea Fury is the most wonderful, purposeful looking fighter out there - bar none. You are really doing it justice..

..as you say, over the hump now with a vista of hugely enjoyable modelling to look forward to... (for us watchers too :wub: )

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Hi Peter

Thanks so much. When I ran into trouble, Paul went way out of his way and sent me everything I needed to work out the fit issues. It took a while to come up with the best combination but deep down,  I wanted to stick with the new style cowl and the gorgeous Bristol Centaurus 2 engine insert. n have to agree, the Sea Fury is all class and gorgeous from every angle. In my heart, equal to the Mustang in every respect.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Ron

Finally looks like be making some steady progress the next couple of weeks and maybe by months mid July, I'll be close to painting.

I have my fingers crossed

Peter

This build is great stuff, Peter

I haven't had the guts yet to tackle a full-on resin build, but your work really inspires me to think in that direction.  I'm especially in awe of the beautiful work you did on the engine insert in the cowl.  I've never seen better!

Looking forward to the next steps.