Sopwith Pup RNAS ... WNW's 1/32

Little Andi

An interim "catch-up" rather than an update. This then my first real foray into the methodology of painting these fabric covered wings (the Morane more of a "sling paint at it and see what happens" kind of project).
Here I've sprayed the whole in my choice of CDL ... Life colour pale stone, masked off the ribs with 1.5mm strips and a gentle shot of pale stone plus a lick of French Matt blue. Then masked off the front and rear spars and with a darker mix I've ran along all maskings with a pretty strong tone.

Pup-21_zpsda7a30b5.jpg

On the left, or lower wing I've removed all the tape, and on the right (upper wing) I've just taken off the tape for the leading spar. The elevators of the tailplane give you an idea of the initial colour, and the main part that bit darker to accommodate the lack of internal depth and close proximity of the two canvas skins.
The plan is now to give the whole a unifying mist of the original pale stone (CDL) and when dry will scumble with an oil paint mix of Ochres and Sienna's ala the fuselage - and eventually some oil stains and perhaps even brine residues?

More when I've got it sorted.

Arrrrrgh! ................................

Pup-22_zpsb4d0922a.jpg

A rather chaotic shot I'll agree ............. but really to illustrate a minor catastrophe. Whilst rigging the cabane struts, and although looking forward to it after my successes with the Morane? I was having a devil of a time, constantly losing the end of me thread - brass ferules disappearing into the abyss, indeed after much ado I finally finished, and then noticed how slack the port side was!!! "Now what" thinks I ............... whilst struggling with said rigging I had somehow caught the darn thing on the bench or my jumper - who knows? but that leading right hand strut was completely broken at its root.
I practiced my Anglo-Saxon at length (I'm now quite fluent) realised I was going to be fighting against the very tension I'd just instilled into the assembly, decided against pinning the joint for fear of getting it all plobbletopid and ugly, but then noticed it had broken with a kind of ball and socket effect ... I wonder if there had been a slight "flow" fault in the styrene?
Anyhoo - with a bit of cement and with the wing holding things in station, and to take what is quite some weight over the repair.
I can report that 24hours later it is a strong joint with nary a mismatch to worry about - "phew".
I do think with the wing to hold things together later on, and a tickle of paint, it should be an invisible mend and no one will know the difference..................

Apart from all you lot like!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Iain .................. I've actually broke the dang thing again!! So they're all wearing splints till it's time to put the top wing on.

Anyway, without much further ado ... proof positive that I'm still chipping away at this build - I know it's slow ... bear with me?

But here it is looking a bit more purposeful now - main wing is just posed with fuselage balancing atop, but I wanted to show the "bleaching/weathering" effect I've been after and see if it passes muster? A bit more work on the fuselage with weathering and staining to pull things together a bit better - Actually I quite like it, although suspect it's hardly prototypical?
So here you go then, a start on the build assembly, with just a touch of rigging.........................

Pup-24_zpsb407eaae.jpg

Pup-23_zpsc50b1675.jpg

Hopefully not too long a time before I can manage another update? - But don't hold me to that of course ..............

Cheers chaps................

Guest Peterpools

Andi

Just catching up and one terrific build to this point. Awesome work on the weathering as you proceeded through each phase.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

• 1 month later...

Hi all.................

As promised a further update ... not as quickly as I'd hoped (life'n'stuff) but here now!

Without much ado then.................

Pup-26_zps55ac0a5b.jpg

I have her shoes and socks on - plus her whirly bit. Some final modelling and paint around the wing root to hopefully tie them together.

Pup-25_zps7ffe3b9b.jpg

Annnd the other side for evenness sake............same again - bit of fidlin' with the paint and stuff.

Pup-27_zpsb914d5cf.jpg

Back round again for a squarer shot in order to see how all that rough stuff along the fuselage now hopefully marries into the other parts of the aircraft?

Pup-30_zps2231625e.jpg

On her nose in order to see where she has rather embarrassingly dribbled - in the destructions there's an upended aircraft which is decidedly filthy in this department - so I was encouraged to really go for this!!

Pup-29_zpsd6f7f318.jpg

And a miraculous flyby -(No top wing etc) - just for the effect?

Pup-28_zps3f7c18be.jpg

Annnnd she's gone!

Just working up the courage now to tackle the top wing and it's associated demons - oh! and of course those couple of frighteningly tiny runs of wire between the bottom wing and the undercarriage legs - every fibre in my body is telling me to walk away from those!!!!
And I know I have to paint the rear of the propeller boss too - it, like the wheels are just posed at the minute.

Feel free to mutter ............ until next time ...............

Soon-ish - hopefully.

Cheers cheps!