HK 32nd scale B-17 in the works

ErikP

WP_20140123_004_zps8282487f.jpg

Ok gentlemen, sorry I have been away. Another week in the books. Starting off with a few photos again. Here we have the back cockpit wall with some slight modifications. Eduard photo etch hydraulic mounts installed and kit accumulator and tank added. I decided to use the kit parts after all but slightly modified them.

WP_20140122_001_zpsa6cc5912.jpg

Here is a shot of just the photo etch and styrene modifications

WP_20131230_002_zpsa3aa9521.jpg

And of the turtle deck cockpit roof. wiring to be added as soon as I research where the wires were routed specifically. I do know that a few went along the top of the windscreen and down the pilot's side to the IP but the majority of them ran along the roof back towards the top turret. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated! More to follow

OK, I've got to ask...what happen to the concept someone stated that on war time B-17Gs the area below the bombardiers seat was clear plexiglass or did I misunderstand?  Everybody's woodpanels are looking great but I thought that area was clear?

Bruce

OK, I've got to ask...what happen to the concept someone stated that on war time B-17Gs the area below the bombardiers seat was clear plexiglass or did I misunderstand?  Everybody's woodpanels are looking great but I thought that area was clear?

Bruce

Bruce, you are correct. The pictures I have of war time 17s with a chin turret (only two photos I have of this area during the war) show plexi coverings. But I have also heard that they also had plywood as well. This may have been a field fix if this area sustained damage? "D-Day Doll" has markings for all of her 78 missions so I did the plywood floor as I am representing her as had damage in this area at one point or another. The plexi was there so the bombardier could monitor the turret workings below. From what I have seen, no one is wrong as to which method of covering is used. Great work by the way!

WP_20140126_004_zpscc2f4aaf.jpg

WP_20140126_003_zps96bea88a.jpg

WP_20140126_002_zps1f1e7a9c.jpg

WP_20140126_001_zpsd792e11d.jpg

Some progress pics of the upper turret. I am having some trouble with this as I have only found one reference photo of an upper that slightly resembles the kit upper. Was contemplating scratch building the entire lower portion to the more familiar turret workings but decided to not go that route. It does not look like it in the photos but the lower platform is painted, just was pretty liberal with Tamiya's weathering kit.

Edited by ErikP

Thanks Roy! I am not sure where HK acquired the info for this turret but even that reference photo I mentioned does not match the kit turret to the letter. There is a restoration firm that makes junk into WW2 warbird turrets (I have seen the pics of the seriously neglected turret parts). He supposedly has actual manuals for every type of turret used in these planes and he is 5 minutes from where I work. Time to pay him a visit and see if I can dig up more reference photos.

Thanks Roy! I am not sure where HK acquired the info for this turret but even that reference photo I mentioned does not match the kit turret to the letter. There is a restoration firm that makes junk into WW2 warbird turrets (I have seen the pics of the seriously neglected turret parts). He supposedly has actual manuals for every type of turret used in these planes and he is 5 minutes from where I work. Time to pay him a visit and see if I can dig up more reference photos.

After a year of darkness, guessing and calculations, without knowing the stuff had survived the war... this week I received 3.100 pages of Heinkel manuals, drawings, sketches, explanatory pictures and everything I'll ever need for my build. I'm overwhelmed and extremely happy. Believe me: if you can get those B17 drawings / photos and you want to know whether what you're doing is kinda okay / right / super-right / real (choose one), take that chance, you'll not regret it.