Is the 1/32 Trumpeter F-105D and F-105G

phasephantomphixer

And what about landing gear? A heavy model  to begin with, made worse with the addition of ballast.

I assume G-Factor the best bet for replacement landing gear for this model? In my opinion, metal landing gear supplied by other manufacturers, cast in white metal, sag over time. Not a great solution to a heavy model. I also believe the length of the landing gear and the likelihood that the model would wobble increases the chances of snapping the plastic legs supplied in the model. I would further assume some kind of cyano glue to attach the metal landing gear? Epoxy?

With the resin aftermarket pieces available to correct the tail surfaces on the Trumpeter kit, more weight an issue with increased likelihood of tail stance.

Any opinions welcome...

Mark Proulx

And if you use the corrected resin tail, you might as well cast the front fuselage from tungsten. Really need to get that nose down.

Matt  :frantic:

Yes, very good point-double edged sword there. No real way to thin such a piece even if in halves as the resin would be too thin. Would be great if there was a light weight resin. Maybe remove plastic where possible aft of the mains.

As the others have said, it does need nose weight OOB. More nose weight with just the resin fin/rudder, less nose weight with a resin cockpit. My F-105D is in the process of getting the basic camo sprayed on, but I haven't mocked it all up to add the required nose weight, yet. I'll do that next, before attaching the radome.

The kit's landing gear aren't very strong. SAC's gear are primitive and the white metal they're made of has proven to sag over time. G-Factor's bronze legs are really nice. A pic to illustrate the differences in casting quality:

100_2672_zpsc2922f01.jpg

You can see the one flaw in the G Factor gear that is the small piece for the nose gear iasn't fully cast (on the right branch of the small parts' spue). The kit's part will be used for this piece, so it isn't a big deal to me.

HTH,

D

Edited by D Bellis

Yes, very good point-double edged sword there. No real way to thin such a piece even if in halves as the resin would be too thin. Would be great if there was a light weight resin. Maybe remove plastic where possible aft of the mains.

Or a possible way to cast the front fuselage in metal.  I guess you could leave all of the detail off of the engine, and just use the afterburner tube, but that could weaken the structure at the back end.  The design of the Thud really puts a lot of weight over the rear, especially with a resin tail fin.

Matt 

G factor makes the best landing gear IMHO....   I really dont like SAC gear... its too soft... and lacks the crisp detail I like,  I use the trumpeter zinc metal gear when they provide it....  ir the combination metal/ plastic gear usually holds well too... you can always drill out the plastic gear and insert metal,  then use the polished metal surface as the OLEO.....   I have done this method before...