Second Attempt at HKM B-17G With Some Minor Improvements.

Silver Dollar

This is the back of the cockpit wall about 95% complete.  I'll need to complete a few other details before I can close up the cockpit sides.  At that point, the plumbing and wires will be added.  I also need to add my washes and a bit more weathering as well as completing the bomb bay side.  

DSCN1819_zpsc2f54109.jpg

Thanks all.  I really appreciate the comments.  Today, I've been working on the starboard cockpit wall trying to improve on the detail there.  I've removed and rebuilt the electric pump for the hydraulics and have that about half done.  At first, I was going to modify the wall so that it looked more like it does in the real thing but I would have to do so much delicate surgery to get it right, it's just not worth the time for me.  I would have to lower the O2 bottle brackets a couple of mm and remove and scratch build all the copilot's boxes.  I chose to leave it as is as well as the copilot's detail which isn't all that bad when you look at it.  Careful detail painting and some detail wash should give me a fairly good result.  More to come.  

A quicky update.  I'm just about done on the starboard cockpit wall.  I'll have to wait until I can cement the wall to the floor and second bulkhead before I can finish all the plumbing.  I'm working on the 02 system now and will put the 02 tanks on as soon as I get them painted.  More pictures to come.

Here's where I'm up to at this point.  I've got most of the copilot's wall done that I could find in my research and the electrical pump for the hydraulics without the plumbing.  I still have to add the manual hydraulic pump, the O2 tanks and plumbing and whatever else I might dig up including wiring.  Then, it's on to the port wall.  this kind of detailing goes very slowly but the results are worth it.  

DSCN1823_zpsc6ef843c.jpg

Here's some of the detail up close. I still haven't done the dark wash and weathering yet. 

DSCN1825_zpsd08e8884.jpg

DSCN1827_zpse27da611.jpg

More on the way.  

I've got the basic structure down for the tunnel under the cockpit.  I haven't put any fine details in yet because I'll have to handle the assembly a bit when I go to complete the center sections i.e. the seats, control yokes, etc. and I don't want to knock stuff off.  Much more to come in the next day or two.  Then I'll shoot some pictures.

Lovely detail Silver Dollar

What they call "First Rate"

Well I have 3 projects on my table since the "Flak-kat" incident!

Which means my A D D has kicked in and who knows when I'll get back

to my B-17.

I have at least put her back together and have worked a little on the 5

rear crewmembers, but I need a camera and i'm thinking Pawn Shop?

The Projects are small "Classic Plastic" kits

I'll keep up and aggravate as much as possible

Jack

PS GO BRONCOS

More pictures as promised.  

The first shot is the pilot's wall without the plumbing and wiring.  That extra detail has to be added when the cockpit walls have been joined up with the floor and the bulkheads.  The original details are pretty good so I left most of them stock.  I still have some paint touch up and weathering to do.  

DSCN1837_zps2df52b95.jpg

This is the basic tunnel construction.  I cemented a piece of .005 styrene to the roof of the forward part of the tunnel to cover up the drilled holes for the seats, the yokes and the hollow of the throttle quadrant.  I then added some C shaped styrene for the frame.  I then put my 1/64 inch thick birch plywood, stained and varnished it and stuck it where you see.  

DSCN1838_zpsf5f20ade.jpg

Here, you can see the brackets the control cables will traverse through on their way to the rear.  

DSCN1842_zps5ed079cb.jpg

There's still a lot of small details that have to be added for the completion of the tunnel.  Once I get it done, I'm sure there'll be close to 100 individual parts.  I'm truly having fun here making these assemblies.  It's slow going, but I'm not going anywhere.  

Well SD I've been busy for two weeks to research what a bomb bay looked like exactly. Reading, drawing, reading, translating... even cleaned the working table as it is not in use now; but I'm having the time of my life and just now I solved the last puzzle. The search is better than the catch. And we can all see that in your build, as the quality and eye for detail clearly proof that you are having a great time building this monster. In the end you'll have a very correct and very detailed specimen.