Second Attempt at HKM B-17G With Some Minor Improvements.

Silver Dollar

Thank you thank you.  I learned that sandwich technique about 35 years ago from I believe an old Fine Scale Modeler magazine.  As I mentioned, it's really an easy technique to master and it looks as real as you can get especially when you have a problem piece like the one in the kit.   One thing I forgot to mention is how I get the delicate bezel to pop up.  After the metal panel has been smoothed and just about ready for painting, I take the bead reamer and gently rotate it in the hole and it raises a little edge around the hole.  Instant bezel.  Just don't overdo it.  Now if you can't find any metal to make the panel, you can use a piece of a soda or beer can.  I used the tin because I just happen to have some.  

Thanks Ferry.  It's definitely worth the effort.  I have the metal piece all trimmed and painted black.  I did make a mistake though when I described the sandwich technique.  I said that I was going to put the decal face down on the acetate and then glue that to the .030 styrene backing.  The way I actually did it was to put the decal face up on the styrene backing and then cement the acetate down to that.  I used the same adhesive I use to lay down my foil and it worked beautifully.  I'm leaving the painted panel sit overnight to make sure the paint is well dry.  Tomorrow or Friday I'll add the doodads and finish it off.  

Another booboo they made with the instrument panel is the control box on the right side.  It's supposed to be triangular with the right edge following the curve of the side wall.  If you check any good picture of the real panel, you'll see what I mean. Add to that the fact that they didn't include the 3 instrument box that goes on top of the instrument panel.  I'll be scratch building those too.  

Edited by Silver Dollar

Tonight I decided to remake the metal panel.  I've decided to handle the doodads in a different way to make them much more realistic looking with brass and aluminum which made me remove the black paint.  Then, I drilled one hole off center and decided to remake the panel.

I'm taking a slightly different approach toward these giant models.  I've decided that in trying to get up as many updates as I can (so I don't lose the thread somewhere in cyber-oblivion and I don't lose those following the build) that it makes me rush, work longer than I want and get a bit sloppy.  The problem is I went and did it to myself again. This is the kind of stuff that caused my burnout in the first place.  These models will take some time to complete so please check back and be patient with me.  I want to do the best work I can.  thanks for understanding.  

Silver Dollar you cannot rush your progress to try to suit others,DANGEROUS

I know everyone here realizes that it takes TIME to build this size aircraft................even OOB takes time. 

I had already worked on mine for 3 1/2 months

This is not a build review with a deadline and those who follow your now 2 builds will continue,like me to follow

your progress.

These people are lucky they aren't stuck with one of my 5 month 1/48 builds

KEEP ON KEEP'N ON

Your stuff is to GOOD not to keep up

Sincerely

Jack

Just posting this in one of the several B17-threads... I'm currently watching "Pawn Stars" and it features some nice views of a pristine B17's exterior and interior. Very nice! 

Check the 19 December 2011 broadcast on their website.

Thanks so much Jack.  Coming from you, that's a great compliment.  It's definitely dangerous to keep deadlines with stuff like this.  I dealt with deadlines all throughout my career and it's made a mess out of me.  I remember sometime in about the mid 80s, a good friend of mine who happened to be the radio operator of an 11th BG B-24 named Kansas Cyclone took me down to the Smithsonian Institute aircraft restoration center to meet a friend of his who wrote a great book on WWII flight equipment.  As part of the tour, we went into the Silver Springs hangar where they were restoring a FW 190.  The guide was very emphatic in saying that the guys who were working on the parts were allowed to work at whatever pace they worked and were never rushed since they did such a fantastic job with restorations.  At that point, I was so envious that these guys were able to do their jobs to the best of their ability without some boss imposing deadlines and restrictions or people breathing down their necks waiting for results.  That to me was the greatest job in the world.  That's the way I like to work and I'll continue so on this model.  

Thanks Roy.  I'm definitely going to have to check that show out.  I'd love to see what they had.