Ferry NL

Welcome to the B-17 Mafia!   Where we discuss and share  information, photos, tips and stories.

We are a worldwide collection of slightly to totally insane people who had nothing better to do then spend a small fortune on a box of plastic.

If you have a question about the B-17(G) you can get an answer here. I have learned more about the G model in a couple of months here than in 56 years

of being an aircraft buff.

We are blessed with Master Builders to those who build OOB and all sorts in between.

Love the wood and looking forward to your input to the "FAMILY"

Regards

Jack

Thank you all!

@Nige: trial and error basically. The radio room floor was the first convincing result but afterwards I still tried something else which turned out to be the table in the radio room. I liked that a lot better than my previous attempts.

I start with a randomly brushed layer of Tamiya XF-52 Flat Earth. No tidy job but quite sloppy, in some area's the colour of the part is still visible.

After this has dried I start dry brushing with Xtracolor X-209 Sandgelb and X-105 Sand to pick out the worn area's. After this is dry I use a thin wash of raw umber acrylic artist paint to bring out the colour of the wood. The next step is picking out details using a thin wash of black acrylic artist paint with a small brush. This will mix up with the raw umber but is easily controlled. If colors of the last washes end up to harsh I gently wipe them with some paper towel or even use my fingers.... Not very sophisticated, but it works...

Edited by Ferry NL

Guest Dekenba

That wood looks like, um, wood - very impressive.

I'd not undertake the nose surgery personally. Is it really that big an issue? It is for some people, to be sure, but don't let that dictate your decisions - it's supposed to be a hobby after all!

You're right Dekenba. Based on our own limitations, skills and level of detail we want to throw in, we all create our own masterpiece. And that's the most important thing. I do envy those master builders every now and then but won't let that carry me away and embark on a journey to nowhere... Though it's tempting....  :whistle:

Edited by Ferry NL

So long as it doesn't come out looking like a B-24, I'm fine with not doing a rhinoplasty on that thing.  I'm not against the B-24 in any way but I think the B-17 is a prettier aircraft, big nose, fat body, oversized rear end and all.  Man, that didn't come out right.  Some of the guys in the 100th BG told me that the B-24 was the box the B-17 came in.  Hey FerryNL. I wanted to add that what you did is the best simulated wood treatment I've ever seen.  

It's all true Silver Dollar, Marauderdiver, it's all about the love of just building a kit and making it worth your own while and satisfaction and then to share it with all of us !!!

Pat

This is very true and it is great to have a place where we can share this build with other like minded folks.Not many people will see the guts we are building

Modeling is an individual sport .........as I always say.

All of these builds have something that is unique to each one and technics to share and to learn.

Man this is FUN

Jack