Monogram 1/48 P-40 Rebuild

LSP_Kevin

Thanks fellas. Things are in go-slow mode at the moment, but I did manage to make a start on the repairs to the gun fairings this weekend. I started by marking out the area that needed to be built up with some Tamiya tape:

mHqpqm.jpg

I then mixed some Milliput and did my best to apply and shape it between the tape. Unfortunately the shape distorted when I removed the tape, so I suspect I'll be falling back on an awful lot of Mr Surfacer 500 for this area:

kWP4RK.jpg

The Milliput should be hard enough to start sanding in a few more hours, and then I'll know for sure.

Kev

Thanks guys. Yep, the cuss factor's definitely there, but I've had much worse. You may notice that I've managed to nicely flatten the top of the fuselage between the cockpit and the gun fairings! Doubt I'll do much about that. I will be needing a set of ring and bead sights though - can anybody recommend anything? I'm assuming someone must do a PE set.

Kev

Try Roll Models They have the Waldron "1/48 gun sight" set on sale. Search for

Key Word:

Manufacturer: Waldron

Scale: 1/36th to 1/70th

The set you want is WRP036

Thanks Jessie. The last time I bought anything from Roll Models (the Waldron punch set as it happens), they had a fixed US$25 shipping fee to Australia; that punch set cost me considerably more than it should have! But it's not available from anywhere else, so I didn't have much choice. As you might imagine, unless their policy has changed, I can't justify such a cost for a small PE set.

Kev

Kev,

You could probably make one from some stretched sprue wrapped around a drill bit to make a hoop then add the cross with hair (yes I said hair LOL)

Ron

I'd say you could use one of mine....but I don't have that many left!!!

I stopped paying for hair cuts and started a finders fee!!!!!! :whistle:  :whistle:

Thanks Jessie. The last time I bought anything from Roll Models (the Waldron punch set as it happens), they had a fixed US$25 shipping fee to Australia; that punch set cost me considerably more than it should have! But it's not available from anywhere else, so I didn't have much choice. As you might imagine, unless their policy has changed, I can't justify such a cost for a small PE set.

Kev

This is probably dumb, but is this any better? 

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/index.html

I like to think I know what I'm talking about............but I'm sure I don't

I don't always ramble.....but when I do, there is no end........stay sane my friends, I have you covered in the crazy department!

BTW  I have an Aunt and Uncle in Melbourne.......love it when they used to visit!

V/R

Dan 

kevin you are sure tackling this thing head on.  

even strait out of the box those gun blisters are tough to play with.  looks like you have a solid plan to take care of them.  glad to see you got the interior solid.  looks very good from here.  i will try to follow along better.  

joe

Thanks guys. A little bit more progress today. I've cleaned up the gun fairings and given the area a determined coat of Mr Surfacer:

awb9U5.jpg

Doesn't look too bad. A little bit of grunge to clean up, and I'll try to reduce that kinked effect on the outside of the port fairing, but it's definitely coming along. I'm also happy with the repairs to the broken rudder:

reV5ke.jpg

More...later!

Kev

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Remarkable work. Couldn't be better straight form the box

Keep 'em coming

Peter

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Edited by Peterpools