Bf 109 G series - what's the final consensus?

SinuheH

Ok! I understand! But resonable standard are they really so bad?

And if you really want to make an comparison why use AM

arent the AM stuff different to every model and would it not be better with OOB and then do a comparison then you will realy see the differece.

Boris'

arent the AM stuff different to every model and would it not be better with OOB and then do a comparison then you will realy see the differece.

Boris'

I used aftermarket when I built my Hasegawa and Revell kits. Most was to replace common areas no manufacturer is very good at: gunsight, control stick, belts and wheels. The Hasegawa got exhausts and a spinner, too.

But all this is bolt on stuff and I don't feel it detracted at all from comparing the two.

Boris'

Um ... ok ... it's kind of like what Thierry alluded to in one of his threads ...

There are some things on the kits that just scream at you "this is wrong" or  "this needs work" ... it is those issues I will be dealing with - not minor ones - in order to bring them all up to about a 'parallel' standard (or as close as I can get them).

The excersize is not really to see which kit "is the best" ... as I said - they all have flaws.

This is about building different kits - with different issues ... and seeing how much time, effort and money it will take to build each ...

Rog :)

[...]

Hope the K has better decision making..10 bucks extra per kit and good bulges with better engineering would of sold many many more kits.

Cutting corners has a price and in this case its cost them..

[...]

Probably just with the "nerd crowd". The majority of the customers Revell is IMO aiming at isn't most likely aware of the lumps and bumps and all the issues and inaccuracies we discuss at lenght here.

Agreed, that was perhaps a bit missleading as I wrote it.

I wasn't to imply that Revell doesn't care about the serious modeller, I was more refering to their distribution practice, which is, at least here, far broader than that of any other competitor.

Revell is, at least here, in a situation, where they have a monopoly for kits, paints and other modelling related stuff in shops, that still offer kits but are not dedicated modelling stores, like toy and department stores.

Given that the majorities of modellers just buy and built than break down kits for their last bits and pieces, and thus probably use more the traditional sources to acquire their stuff, I challenge the statement I quoted above... :)

...may probably be completely different in your end of the world ;)

Guest Dekenba

I think that we are the minority to most - if not all - model suppliers.

With very few exceptions, most models build into pretty accurate representations of their subjects. We can be incredibly annal on here, with every lump, bump and panel line analysed for accuracy. I feel that price, ease of build and distribution are of far more relevance to the vast majority of customers than 100% accuracy.

I think you need to keep the serious errors under control as a manufacturer.  The Revell has some problems but the Beule stick out like a sore thumb if you've ever seen a G-6 or a G-14.  The Hasegawa has the nose and cross section issues but what hits you is the poor shape of the spinner.  Get those things right and for the most part you'll be OK.

I have cracked on with the Trumpeter kit. It's nicely detailed. The pit is Ok for me, but the canopy is staying closed. The big letdown so far is the panel decal with white instrument surrounds, it sucks. The rest is OK. The upper wing joint is really poor by Trumpy standards. Both sides need a shim and I'm cursing myself for not fitting the upper wings to the fuselage first, so be warned!

The rubber tyres have scuffed up realistically. The fuselage fit is great and I have used a resin trop filter. Chin scoop and wing bulges need a whiff of mr surfacer, but not the cowlings.

The 2 part ailerons and flaps are too thick at rear and need shaving down with a scalpel, or you'll get a gap.

The tail wheel is a bit poor..... Doesn't look like a leather boot at all.