Vietnam Revetments

phantom

What color where these normally painted? I have mine nearly done and want to get them painted for my diorama? The revetments that were released by Lone Star Models, can they be used for desert Storm and the current conflict in Afghanistan?

Happy Modeling

Mike

No disrespect intended...I spent 6 years in the USAF looking at them...They were a darker shade of OD but they were OD...That's why I sent the photo showing the F-4 parked in a revetment !!! This was in the RVN = 67 thru 70...

I was stationed at Phu Cat AB, Vietnam from Dec. 1969 to Dec. 1970.  I can vouch for the fact that revetments were painted dark OD.  As I remember, most of them also had a patina of rust and some even had large rusty patches.  If you tried to climb on them, you'd end up with rust on your hands and clothes.

Jerry Peterson

No disrespect intended...I spent 6 years in the USAF looking at them...They were a darker shade of OD but they were OD...That's why I sent the photo showing the F-4 parked in a revetment !!! This was in the RVN = 67 thru 70...

can't fight first-hand experience!! Thanks Sarge!!

I got the revetments painted. Did aluminum show through along with the rust? I am going to be doing some weathering this weekend.

Happy Modeling

Mike

The revetments were made of large, steel sections with sand in between. I remember seeing some revetments that had taken shrapnel damage from rockets and mortars and were had spots of bare metal exposed, but this exposed metal quickly rusted in the humid tropical climate. Not much attention was given to maintaining the revetments since it was generally acknowledged that we were only there for a short stay.

I have a bunch of pictures I took of the flight line, but they're slides (how many people remember those?)and can't be displayed here in their current format, at least not with my current scanner. One of these days I'll get around to converting them to a digital format.

Jerry Peterson

Jerry Peterson

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at Kevin's photo I would say any where from black to dull galvanized steel color. 

As I remember ours at Ubon in the early 70s I have to say "very" dark green to black with lots of areas that had little to no paint much like Kevin's photo shows.

Barry