HK B-17 Accuracy issues?

Guest Nigelr32

Ok, here's an accuracy issue I noticed while looking at the aft fuselage section of the kit.  The upper part of the fuselage where it meets the vertical tail is noticeably (at least to me) "arced" where it should be straight.  Please note that this is a shape issue that is not correctable unless you scratchbuild an entire aft fuselage so it's an FYI to ignore as you wish.  Only the freaks like me would discover something like this but when I looked at the fuselage, something just looked "off" and this is what I discovered (so far).   I'll illustrate my point using the excellent R. Watanabe illustrations from Roger Freeman's B-17 book.  If those of you who also have the kit can confirm or refute what I'm seeing, I would appreciate it.

B-17_Aft_Fuselage_Error_HK_Kit_zps22b8cd

The red line is the upper line of the fuselage and it runs straight from bulkhead 6 back to the tail.

B-17_Aft_Fuselage_Error_HK_Kit_2_zpsffa2

The red line is the above image represents what the HK kit looks like from bulkhead 6 to the tail (albeit a little exaggerated to demonstrate the issue).  I believe that this error was because of the drawings used to develop this kit.  Again, there's nothing that can be done about it; it is what it is....  This was just an FYI for those of you who may care to know.

Guest Nigelr32

Well spotted Tim.

I'm in work right now, but will check my fuse with a straight edge as soon as I get home. I think it could be corrected with a slice of card wedged into a slit made at the base of the tail?

Of course, one could slice the tail off, sand the fuse straight, then stick the tail back on. :hmmm:  :hmmm:

I feel that the appearance of the outside of the aft fuselage isn't that noticeable when the model is finished.  Of more concern would be the large gap in the interior of the aft section where the vertical tail section begins.  The stringers should continue over the gap and some of the areas have panels between the stringers that make the roofline look round.  This is much like the discussion of the roof of the bomb bay and radio room roof.  There are numerous pictures showing this concept.  you shouldn't have a gap from side to side along the roof.

Bruce

Guest Nigelr32

To be totally honest, I'm not sure if this is a real biggy?? It's definitely not straight, but the curve is very shallow. Maybe when built it'll look odd? Here's a picture of a straight edge against the fuse/tail joint.

Tailsection.jpg

The gap at the tail end is actually around 1.8mm

Edited by Nigelr32

Guest Nigelr32

Some of you may recall I've been playing in the bomb bay? As this thread is all about accuracy, I thought I'd stick up a couple of pictures of what I've been up to.

These are the kit parts straight off the sprue.

BombBayparts.jpg

These are the same parts following some cutting about.. as we will see, the work on bulkhead 5 was totally wasted.... The centre spine part is wrong in the kit, the diagonals should not all face the same way and the ends should not be notched to step around some odd mouldings on the bulkheads. The side panels in the kit are very simplistic mouldings of what is really there. The frames are made according to the Eduard instructions.

Moddedbombbayparts.jpg

I have done a bit more, but will wait to see if my work on Bulkhead 5 is successful before posting?? Watch this space!!

Edited by Nigelr32

I feel that the appearance of the outside of the aft fuselage isn't that noticeable when the model is finished.  Of more concern would be the large gap in the interior of the aft section where the vertical tail section begins.  The stringers should continue over the gap and some of the areas have panels between the stringers that make the roofline look round.  This is much like the discussion of the roof of the bomb bay and radio room roof.  There are numerous pictures showing this concept.  you shouldn't have a gap from side to side along the roof.

Bruce

As I am busy working on the non-staggered waist gun EMD conversion patterns, I have been looking pretty closely at the internal farme and stringer arrangement as moulded inside the kit fuselage and I can confirm that it is nowhere as accurate as it could be (it does not even marry up to the external rivetting in many areas), so I feel that Bruce may be justified in his claims.

Derek

Guest Nigelr32

As I am busy working on the non-staggered waist gun EMD conversion patterns, I have been looking pretty closely at the internal farme and stringer arrangement as moulded inside the kit fuselage and I can confirm that it is nowhere as accurate as it could be (it does not even marry up to the external rivetting in many areas), so I feel that Bruce may be justified in his claims.

Derek

I agree with you and Bruce Derek,

The ribbing in the kit appears to be added for rigidity rather than detail. It is actually incorrect if we are honest, but most people won't worry about this.

I think, if you are building the model with opened up doors or damaged areas the ribs and stringers need to be redone, but if your building her OOB or closed up they are perfectly fit for purpose. The same applies for the opening under the tail, but I feel also applies to the tail wheel canvas blanket, totally absent from the kit. That is one feature that will be evident with the door open, also where's the toilet?

Nigel how did you remove the cable pulley system off the bulkhead?

I suppose we can fill in the roof section where the tail fillet begins seeems easy enough...

Can we "section" out that gap along the aft of the fuse....or will that change the geometry of the the tail?

Edited by superfly

Guest Nigelr32

Yes, I have cut away the bomb winch mech. basically because the kit has it moulded onto the bulkhead and it looks "Moulded on" if you know what I mean.

I have cut it away and it is shown in the next pic down as a separate item. I want it to look like it is hung on the bulkhead rather than moulded on. As it happens, I have actually replaced all the framework on Bulkhead 5 to represent the c section stiffeners used rather than just accept the shallow moulded ribs. (Which incidentally are in the wrong positions).

Watch this space....

Edited by Nigelr32

Just an observation, but has any one noted that the bomber doors (Step 45-1) are incorrect in that the rectangular bracing on the inside of the doors should be towards the aft of the aircraft instead, as shown, towards the front? 

Part M28 and not be swtiched with part M25.  

I guess this is an easy fix, but since I have not built a kit in 20 plus years . . .

Guest Nigelr32

Just an observation, but has any one noted that the bomber doors (Step 45-1) are incorrect in that the rectangular bracing on the inside of the doors should be towards the aft of the aircraft instead, as shown, towards the front? 

Part M28 and not be swtiched with part M25.  

I guess this is an easy fix, but since I have not built a kit in 20 plus years . . .

Thanks very much for posting this.I look forward to checking when I get home from work.