HK B-17 Accuracy issues?

Guest Nigelr32

Is that physically possible Iain???

(In the voice of the Churchill Insurance dog) "Oh yes"  ;)

You may have missed my Lightnings thread!  :frantic:

Stirling work on the 17 though - bringing to Telford?

Iain

Guest Nigelr32

OK, back to the serious stuff.. never mind these British jets eh... :mental:

I found another couple of small errors with the kit tonight, that have taken me quite a lot of fettling to sort out, mostly due to my stupidity!!

The issue concerns the rear crew access door. I decided to cut it out, carefully, using a pin to scribe around the door line. I spent an age getting the perfect radii around each corner of the door, as moulded on the kit, only to find the actual door has square corners!! Arrgghhh.. all that time wasted to make something wrong.. so I had to file out the corners in the fuselage and fill the corners of the door with card and superglue.

Here's the result.. with the door placed back in the hole.

Crewdoor.jpg

Whilst looking at this I thought, "That's funny, the top of the door looks wrong"?? it should be in line with the stringers.

Well, I was justified in my thoughts, so I have had to file the top of the door square to the rivet lines for the stringers and fill the top of the aperture.

This is how it looks now..

Crewdoor1.jpg

Crewdoor2.jpg

Now I need to concentrate on the pressed sheet door internals. I'll then have an accurate open door for my display. I'm doing the same with the tail gunners emergency escape hatch. I will make some resin copies I think, just in case I build another one.. cutting the doors out whilst trying to use the door and the fuselage is a lot harder than just chopping out the door and slotting in a resin part.

Hey Bruce, I don't exactly understand what you are trying to say here...

We have already debated the fact that the picture was published in reverse and the Man should be on the right, but we have also ascertained that these are not ball turret equipped aircraft so the walkway around the turret is higher than it would be with a turret fitted.

I'm afraid all the pictures on the previous page are incorrect for a turret equipped aircraft.

My theory of the platform changing sides when the waist windows changed position is still up for debate, but probably accurate.

I was just saying that the bulkhead confirms your assessment of the fact that the photo was reversed.

Bruce

Guest Nigelr32

OK, moving swiftly on... We have discussed the inaccurate nose section here, whereby it is too curved OOB and needs a slight flatten out. I have some pics of the B-17 in construction and without the turtle deck fitted it would appear the top of the IP is actually a continuation of the sheet metal of the fuselage?

Does anyone know for sure if I am correct? if this is the case I can use a photo of the IP, taken square on, and I will have a former come template for the correct form.

Guest Nigelr32

Thanks for the pic D.B., unfortunately when I scale it down to actual size I lose some clarity, but once I find the right size, the outline will be great help.

So, we all know the nose of the B-17 from HK models is inaccurate in shape, and that this is the biggest and only real issue with the whole kit from an accuracy point of view.

You will see in this post that it would appear HK models got the size and proportion of the instruments nearly right, but made the actual IP itself too tall, probably to compensate for the round and therefore too high nose. Somewhere earlier in this thread GaryW has shown us all how he made a lovely job of correcting the IP too get rid of the large blank area at the top of the panel.

I have taken this comparison picture to show you all the difference between a scaled down picture of the actual IP under restoration, the Eduard IP and the kit IP. You will notice that the Eduard panel addresses the position error, but still has the curve at the top obviously, as they need to make their set fit the kit.

InstrumentPanel.jpg

This pic is of the restoration project. You can clearly see the shape error in the upper curve of the panel, squint your eyes and you'll see the green strip over the top of the panel, that is the top of the fuselage skin.

P1010702.jpg

I have taken another pic of the kits nose, clipped together. Now I need to work out how I'm going to correct this , would you be interested in seeing how I do it so you can do it too, or is the general feeling out there that this is not that big an issue?

Nose.jpg

Edited by Nigelr32

Nigel....I was thinking...Taking just the nose part as above....cover both ends (temporarily)...find the centre point of each end....drill out and run rod stock through it.....its basically the starting point for a jig...you can then work out the new profile using the IP and attach along the rod......I think you have to figure out where the last round stringer is and gradually work back to the instrument panel.

Im worried that when that part is flattened...the windscreen and frame work will have a huge gap...If we enlarge the windscreen to compensate...will it look weird?

Edited by superfly

Guest Nigelr32

The last round rib is the front one in my opinion. They gradually flatten from the front back as far as I can see. The stringers are the longitudinal members running fore-aft.

I have made a round bulkhead for the fuselage end of the nose and will reprofile that and adjust the nose to suit. I don't quite follow what you are saying about using centres and rod to profile the nose.. Why don't you show us all what you mean with your kit?

What ever happens, the first job will be to remove the dome from the upper nose surface as this will be reshaped during the flattening if left in place. I think the dome is the correct shape. (My model will have a flat sheet there anyway).

The kit windscreen is adjusted to suit the incorrect nose as far as I can see? A new screen will have to be made.

Edited by Nigelr32

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://hobbyandleisure.co.uk/hlstore/catalog/images/g2002b.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.hobbyandleisure.co.uk/hlstore/catalog/guillows-2002-128-17g-flying-fortress-45in-wing-span-balsa-kit-p-2154.html&h=572&w=900&sz=163&tbnid=9nyCT8HAusEOMM:&tbnh=76&tbnw=120&zoom=1&usg=__uZbaAxqvGCVASMEujvpKg7OHmI4=&docid=kASBgQzQeh5mSM&sa=X&ei=77RFUvioIvTH4APowIHIAw&ved=0CD4Q9QEwAw

Its kinda like balsa wood plane building...where all ribs are attached to a "spine"...You and use this to mock up the the ribs and see if the flattened profiles look right...then plank it with styrene strips.....I wanted to try this method so...I wouldn't cut up my kit parts.   if i run into problems and not want to persue this mod any furthuer...my kit parts are still intact...If it works out...then great.

Guest Nigelr32

I won't be posting much on here for at least a couple of days.. My Beautiful Airedale, Lola is at the vets tonight on a drip because she's got some issues that could be terminal?

The last thing on my mind right now is this...