1:32 Intruder Decals

Dondy

I've managed to piece together everything I need except for the lion! I have a decent enough unit logo with the lion that can be scaled down instead of up! I'd like to have a sheet on each bird in the Osprey book to be honest! A black nose Main Battery 400 series would be cool! The next build I'll take the outer pylons off the wing ribs, I'm sure that will help ease the wing line up, the hardest part to this kit for me. Other than that it's a fare kit! Right now I'm working on the visual cues to tell all the differences from what makes an E model! Some pictures I've ran across will say it's a A model but when you look deeper it's an E, at least I think! :BANGHEAD2:

Paul

Hi Paul,

I've still to dig deeper but I'm not so sure the Panther drawing was always the same... The unit served in SEA on the Enterprise, Coral Sea and America. In fact, the Trumpy one is not very far from one pattern I found. Wait and see.

Thierry

All the photos I can find show the tails being the biggest difference, but I'm not 100%

Paul

Hi Paul,

I've still to dig deeper but I'm not so sure the Panther drawing was always the same... The unit served in SEA on the Enterprise, Coral Sea and America. In fact, the Trumpy one is not very far from one pattern I found. Wait and see.

Thierry

I would like to see the pic that is close to the Trumpeter decal - is it published?

My issues with the Trump panther:

-has an "eye" - have not seen this in pics I have

-has a tail with a tuft on it like a lion's

-has a "tooth" on the mouth that is well defined - pics that I have seen seem to have this area more vague/undefined

Many artist profiles I have seen incorporate these details (eyes, teeth, claws, etc) - not to say they are wrong just that I haven't seen pics of the real thing yet that show those details - what I have seen supports a more simple silhouette.

Just to add I can't wait to see what decals will be offered - just wishing for announcements soon as my build nears paint stage... :)

Edited by petrov27

3_7.jpg

This is what I think they used as a reference for the kit decal for VA-35. I've yet to see a picture of the panther with white eye's and a bushy like tail

2867064320_e09c042c82_z.jpg

A-6E_VA-35_at_Moffett_Field_1975.jpg

I still believe they missed the mark here! Just my opinion!

Paul

AS for the speed brakes , the fuselage speed brakes were no longer used after the first year. The caused the aircraft to stall and crash. Later

A-6A and A-6E had a blank off plate installed were the speed brakes use to be. The speed brakes with holes had the lines capped off.

I have been contacting decal mfg about making after market decals but only Dave Roof is planning to make any. I up scaled a 48th set for my 202 bird.

Bill Wesley

Marine Intruders

81-91

VMAT-202, VMA-533 VMAQ-2

Any thoughts on when some appropriate "A" model bang seats will be available?

Tim W.

Ok, lets all hold our breaths together!!!!!!!!!!! You would think if your making a A model, you would put the appropriate seat in the kit!! Further makes me think the A was an afterthought from the E that was more than likely the original idea! All the signs for the E are all over this A kit! Seats, formation lights, scoops for the TRAM cooling, some vents here and there, all for the E! Now if they further they're quest and make th Prowler( Oh lord hear our prayers!) that will make this kit a ******* child! Hope the aftermarket boys have things planed for a solid A or KA tanker! I'm still trying to really figure out all the differences anyway, and I thought when Tamiya came out with the Phantom was bad!!!! Not as many mods, but it's hard to narrow down standard configs for each mod, or it's just me!!

Some seats are a must for the A!!

Paul

AS for the speed brakes , the fuselage speed brakes were no longer used after the first year. The caused the aircraft to stall and crash. Later

A-6A and A-6E had a blank off plate installed were the speed brakes use to be. The speed brakes with holes had the lines capped off.

I have been contacting decal mfg about making after market decals but only Dave Roof is planning to make any. I up scaled a 48th set for my 202 bird.

Bill Wesley

Marine Intruders

81-91

VMAT-202, VMA-533 VMAQ-2

Bill, maybe you can answer a question for me. Did the 533rd ever have an A with a solid blue/ checker brd tail? The Detail&Scale book shows a Testor kit in the back as an A, as well as on the color pic referenced. Like this one

3_33.jpg

Paul

Any thoughts on when some appropriate "A" model bang seats will be available?

Tim W.

Bill, maybe you can answer a question for me. Did the 533rd ever have an A with a solid blue/ checker brd tail? The Detail&Scale book shows a Testor kit in the back as an A, as well as on the color pic referenced. Like this one

3_33.jpg

Paul

533 may of haved the blue tail with large hawk. I will have to look at some pictures and get back to you. 533 had several different tail from the 1960's thur the 1970's.

3_33.jpg

Paul

533 may of haved the blue tail with large hawk. I will have to look at some pictures and get back to you. 533 had several different tail from the 1960's thur the 1970's.

If your on facebook you can join our group for VMA-533 and ask questions and find pictures.https://www.facebook.com/groups/167475003003/

Ok, lets all hold our breaths together!!!!!!!!!!! You would think if your making a A model, you would put the appropriate seat in the kit!! Further makes me think the A was an afterthought from the E that was more than likely the original idea! All the signs for the E are all over this A kit! Seats, formation lights, scoops for the TRAM cooling, some vents here and there, all for the E! Now if they further they're quest and make th Prowler( Oh lord hear our prayers!) that will make this kit a ******* child! Hope the aftermarket boys have things planed for a solid A or KA tanker! I'm still trying to really figure out all the differences anyway, and I thought when Tamiya came out with the Phantom was bad!!!! Not as many mods, but it's hard to narrow down standard configs for each mod, or it's just me!!

Some seats are a must for the A!!

Paul

I'm not even going to start mine until I get the right seats to do a Vietnam era operational a/c.

It's unlikely that even the Linebacker Intruder As had the newer seats, so I guess we just have to wait....

Arrgh.

Tim W.

Thanks for all the replies and the ongoing discussion!

It's kind of sad that after all the anticipation of an Intruder in the big scale that nearly no aftermarket decals or resin products are pronounced :(

As Tim said above me ... "so I guess we just have to wait...."