PCM Hawker Tempest 8:25:13- Completed!!!!

scvrobeson

Well there ya go, guess I'm crazy! Or they are for doing two different Tempest kits after so long without even one!

Michael

Yeah, it is a little surprising that we're getting multiple Tempest kits all at the same time. I won't complain though, because they're fun to build. I'm looking forward to seeing what Special Hobby can do with the II,V, and VI versions.

Matt :party0023:

Hi Matt.

Looking really good. Good to see that the kit builds up reasonably quickly (for a short run kit). I was involved in the development of this kit, so I take a personal interest in seeing it coming together.

Just as a heads up, Barracuda Studios will be releasing some really nice resin 1/32 Tempest wheels soon. These are a big improvement accuracy and detail wise over the kit wheels. Watch for announcements later this week!

Happy modelling! Roy

Hi Matt.

Looking really good. Good to see that the kit builds up reasonably quickly (for a short run kit). I was involved in the development of this kit, so I take a personal interest in seeing it coming together.

Just as a heads up, Barracuda Studios will be releasing some really nice resin 1/32 Tempest wheels soon. These are a big improvement accuracy and detail wise over the kit wheels. Watch for announcements later this week!

Happy modelling! Roy

Thanks for the news Roy and the nice comments. It is going together quite nicely, I'm enjoying myself. Got the paint on the underside today, so I'll get pictures up later today.

I will be sure to pick up some new wheels when they come out, and I'm still thinking about getting the Fisher landing gear to beef up the kit detail.

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Some might fine surgery to get everything into place and smoothed out. Pretty much doing the same with my Jug as almost all the seams have been filled in and polished out. Toughest part of the job so far was the front windscreen which was too small but pretty sure I'll be ready for the first stage of priming in a few days.

Looking forward to seeing the primer on the Tempest and then the color coats. Some pretty nice news from Roy about the wheels. I used his wheels on my Mustang and they were awesome

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Yesterday I got the first coat of paint on the underside, good old Model Master medium Sea Grey. This was lightened and shaded using I think 5 different grey colors I had laying around the paint drawer, to give it a multi-shaded look. Most of the Tempest pictures I have show them pretty beaten up, since they were interceptors really. So I'll try and show them accurately.

I'll get this masked today, and try and get the Ocean Grey portion on as well.

001_zpsa5da666c.jpg

002_zps5f6f70a2.jpg

003_zps50622d5a.jpg

004_zpsb7b384ae.jpg

005_zps36fc6d43.jpg

006_zpsc09d1e4e.jpg

007_zps3b1db8e2.jpg

Also got the top seams smoothed out, so the topside should be ready for paint as well. I'm really not good with scribing, but I managed to restore the lines without too many incidents and swearing.

008_zps0ef6cee1.jpg

009_zps7d9725c1.jpg

Enjoy

Nice work - really like the cockpit - that intake looks like it could be a bear - really keen to see the finished product.

Thanks a lot. The intake wasn't actually too difficult, just required some sanding down to make sure it all fit between the fuselage halves. Getting the seams cleaned up inside was actually easier than cleaning up a lot of jets, because this was more open, and much shorter. Just some Surfacer and a Q-Tip to clean it off, now it just needs another coat of silver to finish it.

Matt

Some might fine surgery to get everything into place and smoothed out. Pretty much doing the same with my Jug as almost all the seams have been filled in and polished out. Toughest part of the job so far was the front windscreen which was too small but pretty sure I'll be ready for the first stage of priming in a few days.

Looking forward to seeing the primer on the Tempest and then the color coats. Some pretty nice news from Roy about the wheels. I used his wheels on my Mustang and they were awesome

Keep 'em coming

Thanks a lot Peter. I still have to get the windscreen attached on the Tempest before I can paint the top, so I'm going to try and get that on today. The seams really haven't been too bad at all actually, just some minor styrene and Surfacer on the bottom wing panels. Although being a limited run kit, everyone will have a different experience with it.

I'm quite interested in Roy's wheels for this, hopefully they'll be on the market shortly, so I don't have to wait too long to finish this build off.

Thanks for stopping in, hopefully you can get your P-47 finished off soon

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Nice work on the undersides and the shading looks terrific. I'm with you when it comes to scribing but your look right on the money.

Just updated the Jug thread and believe it or not, it's finally priming time.

Keep 'em coming

Matt

Nice work on the undersides and the shading looks terrific. I'm with you when it comes to scribing but your look right on the money.

Just updated the Jug thread and believe it or not, it's finally priming time.

Keep 'em coming

Thanks a lot Peter! I just popped over to your P-47 build, it looks really nice. I'll comment on it with my thoughts after dinner

That's looking good, Matt ! Not yet in the shops here, but looking at your work, sure makes me want to see one up close!

Good luck with the camouflage !

Nic

Thanks Nic! It is a very nice kit, I'm sure it will make its way over to Europe soon enough.

The camo shouldn't be too difficult, but making it look good will be difficult.

Cheers Matt, fantastic stuff mate! REALLY enjoying this one, those Tempests are just plain cool.

Thanks a lot Frank! The Tempest is a really cool looking plane. Almost elegant with the curves, but very purposefully designed with that big engine. Hopefully the paint scheme comes out well, with the big D-Day stripes.

Really looking forward to your Corsair build, I got to check one out a couple of weeks ago, it looks absolutely beautiful

Edited by scvrobeson

I got the topside camo painted on today, and it went pretty well. Do wish I had a better camera to show what I did. Everything was Model Master enamels, and it took about 7 colors to get everything done. All done freehand. The RAF day fighter scheme is a really elegant scheme no matter what plane it's on

001_zps433f9c39.jpg

002_zps1984a317.jpg

003_zps456523bc.jpg

004_zpsc7854542.jpg

005_zpsbc82b21d.jpg

006_zps8a6e8e47.jpg

007_zpsa6b3ea03.jpg

008_zps5874bde4.jpg