As promised, a few more- Fleet Air Arm Avenger Mk.II & Mk.III- Tru

Big Tony

Tony, (And others, who might be interested)

Here in the USA (Where I live now) we have Hobby Lobby, Michael's and numerous other Craft stores and they have a lot of different packages of "wiggle eyes" (I actually had to do a google search to find out what they're called). I am pretty sure you'd find the right size there. As you say, the observation window on the Tarpon/Avengers are not very bulbous.

That's great, thanks for the info

Cheers

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Paul,

No,... both kits were built from the box with no extra resin or PE and you are right it is a deecnt kit and doesn`t really need it. Of course the British `bubbles' were added to the sides as mentioned by vacuforming them, using a 48th scale B-29 Superfort gunners blister as a master and the new Observers ( Royal Navy for `Navigator`s) position in the glasshouse, just behind the pilot`s seat in both models was built mostly from plastic card and spares box items. The US Navy TBF-1 had a basic crew position here which the British retained and embellished slightly while all subsequent US Navy models utilised this area for radio stowage. The only extra bit of detailing was in the wing hinge using brass rod to make this area look more accurate.

Much more interesting than a boring grey Phantom anyday!!

Enjoy yourself and all the best,

Tony

That's a good idea, do you mean those eyes which are found on cuddly toys and things like that? To be honest the bubbles on British wartime Avengers were not that deep and mine are probably a bit too bulbous, so you`d probably be OK, if you could find them? Maybe a Haberdashery shop (Dressmakers) might stock some for making your own cuddly toys?

Cheers

Tony O

Art supply stores often have stuff like this, too.

Worth a shot!

Tim W.

Looks great Tony. Can I ask where you got the radar pod for the TBM-3?

TIA

Brad

Hiya Brad,

Glad you like them, the radar pod for the Avenger Mk.III (TBM-3) was made from a cut down 1/48th scale drop tank with plastic strip wrapped around the outside.

All the best

Tony