A Higher Call

Animalmother

higher_call_zpsaa9220c8.jpg

Hi All.

Thought I would start this Thread now so we have a little time to discuss the subject matter as there are a few things I have to find out before I start this Huge build. This will be a long build as both planes will be superdetailed to the max.

The Kits I'll be using are the Hasegawa 1/32 Me 109G-6 and HK Models B-17F (as soon as it is released) Both dressed up with Eduard and Aires aftermarket detail sets. The things I still need to Source are some good Reference/Walkaround Books on the Aircraft involved and Decals for both Planes. Although I will be able to handpaint the B-17s Nose Art (Ye Olde Pub) and just cannibalise some other Decals if I can't find any for this subject.

All are welcome and encouraged to comment good and bad.

Thanks for looking

Andy.

Andy, fantastic painting AND story. I have read it. I am really looking forward to your project, it should be one of the best this year ! Good luck and I will follow..............Harv

Hi all, I had an email from H K Models today that said the first 1/32 B-17 there going to release will be the B-17G in April/May. So as I'll have so much Scratch building to do on this model I may just get the G and reverse it into an F. That means removing the Chin Turret, Cheek windows (for flush ones) and removing the Automated Tail Guns. But as I wait for its release I'll start on the Me109 G-6 from Hasegawa.

HasegawaMesserschmittBf109G-6HAST017poun

I'll update it with the Eduard Big Ed and these bits.

Quickboost132Bf109G-6ExhaustsQB32010poun

Quickboost Exhausts

QuickboostBf109G-6GunBarrelsQB32009pound

Quickboost Gun Barrels

Bf109ControlLeversQB32018pound350_zps93b

Quickboost Control Sticks

AiresMesserschmittBf109G-6CockpitAIRE200

And the Aires G-6 Resin Cockpit

This should make quite a nice finish.

I also need Decals for Franz Stiglers 109, but if I can't find any I may need to cobble together a few 1/32 109 sheets to finish it.

Thanks For Looking

Andy.

Edited by Animalmother

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, Well all my Update/Detail sets have arrived, Sadly the Me 109G-6 is out of stock so I'm still waiting for that. So lets check out the bits I have.

Me109G-601_zpse190e8fa.jpg

Doesn't look that bad does it !

Me109G-602_zps31baaa08.jpg

The Aires Resin Cockpit is a work of art, didn't realise how nice it would be, seems a shame to paint it and hide it away. It comes with a small Photo Etched Fret for Seatbelts and a few Levers and wheels. You also get a small Correction Fret with the correct sized Stirrups for the foot pedels.

Me109G-603_zps8276ab64.jpg

Quickboost Exhausts, now each piece has a centre seam and I'm not sure if thats from the mould or if its supposed to be there as a weld or something ? you may be able to help me on that !

Me109G-604_zps6fca7106.jpg

Quickboost Machine Gun Barrels, nicely moulded but I was torn between these and a set of Masters Brass Barrels. We'll see how these look once in.

Me109G-605_zpsfa57a8fb.jpg

Then we get to these, the Eduard Big-Ed for the 109G-6, I think I have my work cut out for me with this lot. We have seven sets in the pack, these are an Internal set, a Dashboard set (with individual Bezels), a Seatbelt set, an External set (with a small Panel Scribing Template). We also get a set with two frets for the Painted Blotch Pattern, now with these I though there was a mistake as the set is marked 1/48 !! so I emailed Eduard who told me that it was not a mistake and they can be used for 1/32 too. We also get a lasar cut set for Nation Insignias (Crosses and Swastikas). The final set are Masks for Spinner Spirals.

So theres a huge amount of work with this lot, and some things I have two sets of such as the Aires Cockpit came with Seatbelts and Dash detail and the Eduard Big-Ed has sets for these too. But I guess that means more for the spares box.

Hopefully the Kit will turn up in the next week and I'll have something to stick all my bits to.

I'll update again when it lands.

Andy.

• 3 weeks later...

It arrived !
Me1_zpsfcf4e1f4.jpg
Found it on e-bay as it seems to be out of stock everywhere ! Anyway lets see whats in the box.
Me2_zps44aa2b3f.jpg
Seven Sprues packed in one bag, when will they learn. At least the clear parts are in there own bag with the Decals.
Me3_zps8b45ee11.jpg
Me4_zps5a713e37.jpg
Me5_zpsd7786fb3.jpg
Me7_zps20eccb22.jpg
Everything looks really nice and well molded although the panel lines seem a little deep but will look fine when painted.
Me8_zpsb4396590.jpg
Me9_zps58f711da.jpg
Decals are a little yellow so I'm not sure how long they've been around, but they'll be ok when on as it'll look like weathering.
Me10_zps948f6d9a.jpg
And the Destructions.
I've made a start on the Cockpit and will post pics tomorrow, but the Photo Etched Bezels are making my eyes water !!
Me11_zps8a1b9dc2.jpg
More Tomorrow
Andy.

Quickboost Exhausts, now each piece has a centre seam and I'm not sure if thats from the mould or if its supposed to be there as a weld or something ? you may be able to help me on that !

I'm pretty sure they're weld seams Andy, and are meant to be there.

Decals are a little yellow so I'm not sure how long they've been around, but they'll be ok when on as it'll look like weathering.

Nah, that's Hasegawa's infamous cream interpretation of white. They've been that way forever, though I understand some of their recent sheets from the last couple of years or so have been much better (haven't seen one though).

Looking forward to your progress Andy!

Kev