Arado 196 Canopy

csavaglio

Let me know how it fits. The windscreen on the Revell kit isn't horrible, so as long as the two other sections fit well, I'll order up a set from Mirek.

I bench cast and really don't want to spend them money or time on a pressure setup since I don't cast enough to warrant it.

I played around some more with the canopies last night. I did some more polishing and future dipping. Looks like I'll be able to get them looking reasonably good (I had removed the mounting tabs when I first started working on them).

I guess we'll see.....

C

You Can put those canopies on but they are still not as good as the HPH ones . I bought the HPH kit when I was at the IPMS national s in Orlando . First the HPH kit is Fantastic ,but was disapointed with the resin casting in the kit. Thats one reason I cast new ones instead of trying to order new ones ,the second reason was that I was going to replace the ones on the Revell kit . I can cast you the set If you want ,its no trouble to me . Plus I`m not to far away :) !

Willi

Edited by miamiangler

• 4 months later...

So I take it no-one has tried the HPH parts on the Revell kit?

I know this is a bit of old topic, but recently I was able to compare the Revell and Hph products and noticed some interesting differences, so thought I would add my two cents worth.. Initially I was interested in this question about the fit of the HpH canopy on the Revell kit. When I compared the cockpit opening dimensions, I found that the both versions were the same length but that HpH version was fully 3mm wider....indeed the fuselage looked broader in general. The HpHresin canopy is quite flexible and I suppose it might be squeezed sufficiently to fit. I see HpH offer their canopy as a replacement.....has anybody actually carried this out in a build? (or did HpH make a new canopy specifically for the Revell kit?) Also I see 'A2zee', are now offering a replacement resin canopy, presumably based on the Revell part, which will solve the assembly problem. I think I will go with this solution.

I haven't carried out a comprehensive comparison of the rest of the details, but there are numerous little variations as you might expect. However on other basic dimensions, I found the HpH version was 3-4mm longer in the rear fuselage and the floats are the same length. The most visible difference was in the wings, whilst the spans were the same, on the HpH offering, the chord was 4-5mm wider extending over the whole wing. The HpH measurement was closer to the only drawings I have in the Kagero Monograph book...but who is to say that is correct as well...all depends who has the factory drawings or is prepared to go and measure the real thing.

Does it matter? For most probably not....looking at the builds they all look great.

Edited by Steve McC

I was going to add the bit about A2zee's clear resin canopy. It sounds like they cleaned up the Revell part, did some tuning, and have made cast copies that should be a drop fit. One could e-mail Alistair to inquire.

All are very good points, as I didnt consider the fact that HpH may (or may not) have build their canopy for the Revell offering as I would personally think they would have just put out the canopy for their 196 as a separate unit...........which as was pointed out, may or may not fit the Revell kit well.

I'd be grateful if one of you guys getting the A2Zee set could do a small write-up about it for us - a sort of 'mini-review' if you like. I'm sure many of us will be curious about the fit, and how set has been engineered generally.

Kev

Just for info and also as my first attempt to add photos using Photobucket, here are a few comparison shots of some HpH and Revell Arado 196 parts. I mentioned in an earlier post that the HpH cockpit was a good 3mm wider than the Revell item, which may impact fitting the HpH canopy to the Revell kit, so I have included a shot of the fuselage halves taped together against a ruler. I have included further shots comparing various parts. You would be quite surprised about the detail variances, particularly in the wing surface detail, let alone the difference in wing chord between the two offerings. I felt the differences were significant, indeed you might wonder if you are looking at wings from the same aircraft! The HpH offering inludes a lot of nice rivet detail (if that's what you like) whereas the Revell version does not. Without getting into too much rivet counting, I did try to make a bit of an assessment of what is right and what is wrong. There are some very good close-up photos of the lower surfaces of a preserved example on the net and these show significant differences on both versions.....you can make your own judgements. There are no doubt detail variations on the fuselage as well, I did note that the representation of the LH forward access panel on the HpH version was noticeably too long. I think trying to make corrections, particularly to wing access panels and lines will drive you crazy.

Looking at the photo of the control surfaces, again you can see significant differences in interpretation. In particular the differences the depth of the leading edges. The rudders and tailplanes were nearly identical, however the elevators showed a difference in the way the trim tab is represented. On the HpH version it protrudes and on the Revell version it is flush; looking at photos the tab does protrude, but only slightly...not as much as represented by HpH.

As always, the interpretations of propellor blades are always difficult and almost invariably wrong, shown are the two Revell variants either side of the HpH version. Another shot shows the markedly different spinners, the Revell item is just too pointed, as to the length, I'll let you browse the internet. At one time Andreas Dudas offered a replacement blade and spinner set (for one of the blade types), but I don't know about availability. I have tried to contact Andreas for the last year but have had no joy. HpH offer replacement blades and other parts.

image_zps5897874a.jpg

image_zpsdf81ce49.jpg

image_zps24fd787f.jpg

image_zpseb9f296f.jpg

image_zps8878123b.jpg

image_zps220f01b0.jpg

Well here goes, that Photobucket copy and paste process, didn't fill me with confidence on my Ipad. If you want me to examine/compare anything specific just let me know.