Trumpy Swordfish

chacer

Small update......Not spent much time on it recently due to a mountain of other things that get in the way, but have managed a couple of hours over the last couple of days.

Fitted the bottom stub wings to the fuselage. They needed a little filler but nothing too bad.

IMAG0357.jpg

Done a bit more to the top stub wing & fitted most of the PE (left the fiddly bits off for now as they will only get broken off & lost!). Fixed the top & bottom wings together.

IMAG0359.jpg

Masked & primed the fuselage.

IMAG0361.jpg

IMAG0363.jpg

Nothing too exciting i know, but getting close to chucking some top coat at it.

Done a bit more today. Sprayed the underside colour, then put together & painted the torpedo. I decided to use Mr colour metallic paints (the buffable ones). For a bit of added texture on the body, i used a sponge & Mr surfacer 500, to give it a rougher cast look. i then sprayed with dark iron, let dry & buffed with my finger. The joints between the two halves of the torpedo, i left as it looked like a casting mark. I have no idea if the casings were cast or not, but i think it looks good. Finally hand painted the props brass for a bit of contrast.

IMAG0365.jpg

IMAG0366.jpg

IMAG0368.jpg

IMAG0371.jpg

Edited by chacer

Very nice indeed - I'm not sure whether torpedo's were cast or turned but either way, your technique for the cast texture is terrific and another one for the memory bank; these new'ish metalizer paints are certainly gaining brownie points as well ... must get some !

Grant

It looks great, but every torp I've seen is smooth. Even the screws holding the motor casement on are recessed into rearward facing holes. They are expensive precision weapons.

Thanks Dave. thinking about it now, they were more than likely turned, so i will probably smooth it off. I have seen the technique used on bombs, so thought I would give it a try & it came out really well.

As an aside, had a bit of a disaster with the camo last night. The xtracrilix top coat reacted with the primer (alclad microfiller) & crazed in places. It kept blocking my airbrush aswell. Anyone else had this happen?

I have now gone back to my original plan & ordered wem colour coats to redo it (they finally had the correct colours in stock).

Cheers

Rob

Edited by chacer

Excellent quality of work.

I cannot see if you did it already, but trumpy will have you put some photoetch rigging like rod along the surface of the lower wing - it wasn't there in real life. I found out too late.

With regards to the torp I did a little searching and found that the warhead was covered in some sort of greasy substance. When the time came to use it they wiped the front clean and mounted the fuse.

Edited by Thomas Lund

Just started work on one of these myself, great work there so far!

Here's a pic that might be useful. I would have thought a Petty Officer would know better than to push on the fuze though....

Tim P

Loading_torpedo_onto_Swordfish.jpg

Just started work on one of these myself, great work there so far!

Here's a pic that might be useful. I would have thought a Petty Officer would know better than to push on the fuze though....

Tim P

Loading_torpedo_onto_Swordfish.jpg

Thanks for the pic Tim. Looks pretty smooth to me.

Rob

Edited by chacer

...also, have a look through this film from the period. about 1 hour 12 mins in there is quite a sequence showing torpedoes being loaded. Apologies in advance for the acting, which is even more wooden that the Fulmars and ship models...

http://youtu.be/CkIq4_9-QvE

Tim P

PS Started my Trumpeter Swordfish, going to have a go at a Mk III. Wings stripped back, hoping to cut out the ailerons and slats tonight.

Just watched the film all the way through, LOL at the special effects, dreamworks it ain't!

The FAA film clips were interesting. The torpedos were dead smooth, shiny even. I even seen a Swordfish with wings folded on the lift with the slats out. Sorted :goodjob: