Revell HE 111 P-1

Guest Nigelr32

Hi Nigel

I am new here and this thread was part of the reason I joined the forum. As I have this kit in my stash and intend to build it in the near future I tend to do a fair amount of internet searching for details, photos and such. In this case it was a multi-win as you showed me the process to make the formers to follow the inside of the fuselage. I have a number of other tricks up my sleeves to deal with plastic thickness and such but that one build process always seemed to have be a little intimidated. Good job! Am looking forward to you maybe finishing this. (I know that feeling, and sometimes you just have to hard part and start working on it even when you don't want to) Once you start it just goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Nigel,

i really like what you are doing here. If i were still doing plastc modeling, this Kit would be my choice and i could not do it any better than you. Great modeling and painting. i will for sure keep an eye on this one. Thanks for letting others look at your piece of art.

You are gooooood!

Cheers, Klaus

Hello Nigel,

i really like what you are doing here. If i were still doing plastc modeling, this Kit would be my choice and i could not do it any better than you. Great modeling and painting. i will for sure keep an eye on this one. Thanks for letting others look at your piece of art.

You are gooooood!

Cheers, Klaus

Hi Klaus,

Welcome back! If you're not modelling any more, what are you doing? And why?

Kev

oh, i am modeling, but the scale has changed to 1/5, 1/4 and 1/3 and things started to really get airborne. Since one year i am working on a 1/5 Scale FW 190d. I should be ready to start painting in a couple of weeks. The Cockpit is a blast! 1/5 is just too easy ;-)

cheers Klaus

• 7 months later...

Hi Nige, hopefully you haven't forgotten about this great project.

I was wondering what tool you used to make the small holes in the plasticard @picture "interior8" on page 3 of this thread; as well as the large hole on that same picture. 

I have a leather hole punch but I think the smallest 'puncher' will be slighty too big for the small holes.... whereas the largest 'puncher' is too small for the large hole. 

Thanks for helping me out :)

Guest Nigelr32

Ok guys, your compliments are too kind. I will get back on this build over Xmas. You are all obviously wanting me to finish this and it will. I can't believe someone found this from the depths of hell!!

Well this is one of my resources for my own HE 111 build so I can't say I found it from the depths of hell... it's in my bookmarks :)

Are you still going to do the riveting? Maybe I can help you on that matter, I'll fly over to London this February to make detailed photographs of all the 111H's (exterior) riveting. Just drop me a line if you're interested. 

Edited by Roy vd M.

The problem with this plane's riveting is that it there are no good plans for it online or in the commercially available books (if still). No factory drawings, no later drawings. Only panel lines. And even they are not completely correct. Kagero's plans have minor flaws, as I have found out. 

Revell's panel lines are the result of guesswork in many instances, especially the lower wing halves. They feature almost no riveting. The riveting projects I've seen thus far are based on the Kagero book but not 100% and a lot of it is (also) guessworks. Some are not good, such as the many horizontal wing riveting lines. In reality there are almost none. 

So after a lot of frustration I just decided to try to make an appointment with the curator of the RAF museum which features one of 2 'complete' He 111s of the second type. That appointment was made last week so I'll have half an hour to photograph the plane from close by. 

• 2 weeks later...

Roy - will you make your riveting pictures available for sale? I would definitely be interested in them...Nigel - don't lose the mojo to finish this Heinkel - it is a work of art! Happy Holidays to all LSPers!

Clark, a Yankee in King Arthur's (Nigel) court!

Hi Clarkis... never thought of selling them. On the one hand it would make sense to cover part of my expenses, on the other hand it seems weird to sell something like that to fellow-hobbyists.

Don't know.. I'll give it a thought.

• 3 months later...

Can't wait for your return. I actually started this kit myself earlier this week, but I've only completed the first page so far. Decided to tackle this one after building 32 armor kits in a row.

I'm going pretty much OOB as I've only been modeling again for about a year and my skills are still pretty rough, but I'm going to work that pony as best as I can with what Revell provided me. Would love to be able to do right now much of what you are accomplishing with it.