HELLDIVER!

big matt

Thanks Willi, it's all smoke and mirrors. Far from perfect, believe me. Now that's not what I hear about your 196. A little bird told me your pics don't do it justice and your scratch work is outstanding.

Hey Peter, at first glance I thought you said outrageous. Hmm, I will have to try harder.

Ron, idle hands are the devil's workshop. Gotta focus or I get in trouble. :wicked: As far as the clear parts go, The kit provides framing. No vac parts. What you get is a book with printed sheets of various thickness. That's it. I think some manufacturers have optional upgrades that include laser cut parts and vac canopies. I plan on crossing that bridge when I get there. I have a vac box and might go that route. I might also build the framework and glaze each window as well. We will see what my fingers can handle. That is a long way off.

Thanks for looking in guys, it makes it easier to cut and sand the hours away!

Thanks for the link Peter! Your I-16 is amazing!!!

I have made very little progress as life has gotten in the way this past week.

The bomb bay still needs a ton of plumbing but I have some in there now.

0b17f813.jpg

The recessed area for the leading edge slats is done as well. The kit did stumble a bit here as the instructions are a little vague. I think the Polish to English translation sheet is trying to challenge the Dragon sheets for nonsense supremacy.

88f72993.jpg

These next shots are to illustrate the skin as provided by the paper kit. The level of detail is very high and is going to be a real treat to scribe!

5dc29a40.jpg

64be903c.jpg

e22d5670.jpg

My opinion so far is that we plastic guys have a LOT to learn from the paper guys. The scale thickness of paper compared to plastic is a huge advantage. Visually it brings the look to another level. I am finding that there might be a bit of room to add paper to a plastic kit in areas like cowlings and wheel wells. Just a thought, but one I am going to explore. It is modeling, not necessarily plastic or resin exclusively.

Oh yes, I spent time making this part only to find out after an hour of trying to figure out where it went, it is a jig for constructing the fuselage and cockpit! Too cool.

ea27f330.jpg

The cockpit as illustrated

85fa3143.jpg

Scary stuff this paper modeling.

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Wonderful progress and the detailing in the bomb bay alone puts most plastic kit manufactures work to shame. Did I read you correctly, that all he panel lines have to be scribed?

I was also thinking along the same lines about combining the best attributes of paper, plastic, resin and PE into a super kit. Now that's food for thought.

:speak_cool:

Peter

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

WOW!! What a great thread!! Thanks. Dude I never would have thought of doing this. I love building tanks in addition to planes and I like the bigger 1:24-25 scales. There are so many tank paper models out there (mainly Poland) that have obscure subjects that I will never see in plastic!!! Plus the outrageous variety of aircraft... You have opened my world!!! Wow I'm stoked!

Thanks guys! I am still having fun and just sniffing around the cockpit has got me all excited.

Peter, all the lines would need to be scribed as I am going to skin this this thing from scratch. That is a big concern for me as the plastic, or whatever I choose will need to be thick enough to scribe without tearing or pushing through.

Ron, I thought of using the paper to skin it but that takes the fun out of painting. I do have an idea about skinning one panel at a time to make real panel lines and minimize the bends. I would use the paper templates to cut from. That is where my head is at now. I still have a ways to go but it is in the hopper.

Hey Dane, thanks for the comment. I have been kicking this idea around for a while and when I saw how comprehensive this kit was I had to give it a shot. There are a ton of options if I can get this to work and never even thought about armor!

Thanks for looking in Rich. Your Corsair has proven to be very inspirational for me so you are partly to blame!

If it is not 110 deg F in my shop today I might try to get something done...

Edited by big matt

Thanks for the comments Peter and Richard. I have been lagging a bit lately as more important things have needed my attention.

One of my worries was how the cockpit and fuselage would fit into the wing. I need not have worried. This paper kit is amazing.

Here is the main floor of the fuselage sitting on the handy dandy jig

73a7a455.jpg

I decided to use .5mm sheet for the floor rather than the 1mm card recommended as I needed to get the curve in there and it was easier with .5mm. I added another .5 sheet in the pilots section and in front of the forward bulkhead to get the height correct and stiffen things up.

f960d060.jpg

Here it is sitting on the top of the wing. It interlocks nicely with the curve of the center wing section and will have a large glue area.

404ebd5b.jpg

From the bottom. I still need some more reinforcements and other goodies.

38c94784.jpg

44991a55.jpg

Dihedral remains intact. Another fear of mine.

daecefae.jpg

Long way to go but it looks promising.

df19c0de.jpg

Plastic dust is flying!!!

I just had a thought, and it hurt.

For the skin, you will likely have to use sheet plastic that is very close to the paper skin thickness or things will start going off in tangents and not fit correctly.

Looking great.

Ron