Revetments

LSP_K2

OK fellas, as usual I'm all over the chart here. I've been kicking around the idea of building some 1:32 revetments, the type of which can be used with the F-80, F-84, F-86, etc. A brief Google this evening (actually last night), yielded the results I was hoping for. I now have pretty good data to build a generic revetment wall, cast in plaster, and build as large a revetment as I require. Some Plastruct corrugated sheet and some strip plastic, and I'm good to go.

I took the liberty of generating this drawing (I need to keep in practice anyway), to use as reference when I build the sections.

RevetmentpartialB.jpg

Comments?

• 8 months later...

While looking for a topic I started about a year ago, I stumbled upon this. I'm still wanting to do this, but now I'm considering resin instead of plaster, as there are some undercuts that plaster simply wouldn't handle. I propose to then cast a resin section of dirt or sand fill for top. Once I get the bugs worked out (how to design the sections for optimal usability), I'll probably go ahead and cast some up. I have many LSP's that could benefit from some cool revetments.

There is an article on ARC under dioramas that deals with revetments. I was going to use that article as a basis for building a revetment. I would buy several from you if you do them.

Mike

Edited by phantom II

There is an article on ARC under dioramas that deals with revetments. I was going to use that article as a basis for building a revetment. I would buy several from you if you do them.

Mike

Do you have a link by any chance? I had piddled with this before, but what I originally did was all wrong, as this photo amply illustrates, (plus this one was done in 1:48 scale).

Revetment1A.jpg

Personally, I think that the best material to replicate this in large scale would be...vacuformed plastic!

Indeed, such walls were made of pressed steel sheets. So, vac is probably the modelling medium having the features closer to the full scale material...

Moreover, this would be far more expensive...

Personally, I think that the best material to replicate this in large scale would be...vacuformed plastic!

Indeed, such walls were made of pressed steel sheets. So, vac is probably the modelling medium having the features closer to the full scale material...

Moreover, this would be far more expensive...

Cheaper yes, but I want to build them with all the assembly bolts in situ. This would be nearly impossible in vac form I think.

If you vac them, you could do them with the vertical beam on, let's say, the left side, and the corrugations going to the right. (for whatever distance)to use them, figure the distance, cut the corrugations, and match to the beam already formed. Use dividers to set up your bolt pattern, which come from a R/R store.

On 3/9/2012 at 9:41 AM, LSP_Mike said:

If you vac them, you could do them with the vertical beam on, let's say, the left side, and the corrugations going to the right. (for whatever distance)to use them, figure the distance, cut the corrugations, and match to the beam already formed. Use dividers to set up your bolt pattern, which come from a R/R store.

This is why I think vac may not be doable. These connecting bolts (they're all over the place), would be very difficult to reproduce using that method as far as I know. (Image snatched from the WWW.)

Incidentally, the drawing in post #1 is outdated and incorrect. Dimensionally it's OK (close anyway), but the details are wrong. Standard height for the columns in a revetment for an F-84 for instance, is 12' (4-1/2" in 1:32 scale), with a standard C to C distance between columns of 10' (3-3/4"). My drawing above was created before I had actual dimensional data, as well as lots of better pictures to work from, (one of the reasons I hadn't proceeded with this before now).

I'm sure if you wanted them with bolts on, they could added after. I'd vac them, you'd sell rather a lot I think, cheap to produce, ship, etc.

Perhaps that's a good point. Building the segmented sections would really be no big deal, then the individual (including myself), could add the bolts themselves if desired, (I could provide a location drawing and details). Is that what you're suggesting? I suppose for that matter, the sand/dirt fill piece for the top could also be vac formed? Either way, I really want to do it, as I want to create a revetment for an F-105 I'm wanting to do.

Perhaps that's a good point. Building the segmented sections would really be no big deal, then the individual (including myself), could add the bolts themselves if desired, (I could provide a location drawing and details). Is that what you're suggesting? I suppose for that matter, the sand/dirt fill piece for the top could also be vac formed? Either way, I really want to do it, as I want to create a revetment for an F-105 I'm wanting to do.

This was precisely why I was proposing that... ;-)

Moreover, reproducing the visible seam between the corrugated sheets and the vertical beams would be VERY difficult with a resin product. Assembling the walls as the real ones would give the best result and the cheapest product. Only the bolts shall be cast in resin or the modeller shall rely on RR products. For the top, either you try to reproduce the earth but vacform is not terrific for this (in this specific case, resin would be far better!), either you just give a plain plastic rectangle and the modeller would have to use his favourite filler/putty to simulate it!

My 2 cents (BTW, I'd purchase a reasonable amount of walls!)

I wouldn't try to add a vac or resin top to the revetments, maybe just a blank to add near the top above which the modeller can add some suitable material.

What's your specific reasoning behind that? Do you think a depiction of a sand or dirt fill at the top wouldn't allow the modeller the variety he might want? And would the average modeler want to do the extra work to attain that variety, or is there some other reason? Get back to me here when you can, or PM me if you'd prefer. Thanks,