Spacewolf

spacewolf

Thanks Kev, that means a lot.

Well, we are getting down to the end. Things are coming together, though not without last minute problems. I finally got tired of air cans and went to my local hobby shop..(local...3 hours drive away !!) and they had a neat promotion on, buy the compressor and get an airbrush free!...for less than $200.00 !!! Needless to say I grabbed it.

DSCF9516.jpg

Things came along much nicer and the paint, panel lines and weathering really became a pleasure.

DSCF9518.jpg

I had fits with the stbd side. no matter how I fitted them the doors touched the drop tank. While they are close they are not supposed to touch and the port side fitted right..after scratching my head for a while I finally figured out that the stiffening ridge on the strut was 1 mm too thick, which when sanded off gave me the clearance I needed.

DSCF9545.jpg

Talk about problems.. I was fitting the nose gear doors when an awful realization hit me...the 9 volt battery would not be able to fit into the space between the holder and the doors.....

DSCF9548.jpg

I decided to go with smaller batteries, they may burn out faster but I can change them at least ! I made up a battery box and got some fittings from the hardwear store... modified everything was a gentle press fit.

DSCF9547.jpg

And..joy, joy ! It fits and can be removed no problem. (yes, I tested the lights..they work !!)

DSCF9550.jpg

Ahh but the demon God Murphy was not done with me yet. my swing arm lamp decided to somehow come loose and fell on the nose gear....snapping off the strut and damaging the retraction strut to the point I had to replace part of it with brass tube. After getting everything repaired I replaced the missing stearing motor (vanished in storage and the move). I made it from a bit of sprue and a modified ships gun.

DSCF9553.jpg

Lights were made from nipped off, rounded ends of sprue. Wiring was stripped from a cord, glued in place and painted yellow.

DSCF9554.jpg

The wiring was run to a fitting in the well.

DSCF9556.jpg

The guns were glued in.

DSCF9552.jpg

So...there you go. Hopefully, tomorrow night I`ll be posting the beauty shots of the finished model. It`s been a long haul but It`s looking good.

Cheers

Vaughn

This build just puts a smile on my face. What a grand project.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks much Mark ! I`m glad you are enjoying and yes, it is a grand project...well worth the time, effort and frustration. I`ve learned a lot on this build.

Cheers

vaughn

Wow, what a magnificent update Vaughn! The drama, the comebacks, the triumph! Can't wait to see the final shots.

Kev

LOL..sounds like an old movie promotion `The drama, the comebacks, the triumph!`...thanks kev !

cheers

Vaughn

Very nice work Vuaghan, just been catching up with your build, your scratch building is awesome.

One thing I need to do is make one of those vac formers and have a try at it.

Regards

Richard