Spacewolf

spacewolf

The intakes had me pondering. Most jets have the intakes painted white to aid the ground crew in seeing if an aircraft has injested a bird or other FOD, but I felt the white would be too strong a contrast. I decided to go with a lighter grey. Testors gloss white and grey (the old square bottles) was mixed at 20/1 and after the intake was masked, brushed on. After drying and unmasking it was time to weather the area.

DSCF9368.jpg

Wet sanding dulled the paint and wore it leaving scuff marks and thin area's.

DSCF9366.jpg

A few dabs of silver and more wet sanding and i think it looks ok.

DSCF9372.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

It was time to put the fin on. After getting the join as good as I could It was glued on and filled. After sanding the join I grabbed one of my new cans of primer and laid on a coat....disaster ! :frantic: ...the primer came out and coated properly but then turned FUZZY !...and whats worse, it cracked the primer that had been dry for weeks !

DSCF9383.jpg

After letting it dry a while I sanded it a bit..the overspray had affected the whole inner wing area but thankfully the cracking had only occured around the base of the fin.

DSCF9379.jpg

... I walked away for a day........

So...after a day I came back, looked over the mess and started sanding. The fuzz was sanded off and the cracked area taken down to bare plastic. Then, offering up a prayer to the Lords of Cobal I grabbed the other new can of primer and tried again.... Success !!! :clap2:

DSCF9395.jpg

A bit of sanding and rescribing in places and the fin is on and primed.

DSCF9393.jpg

Edited by spacewolf

While taking the time away from the model I spent some time looking on line for pictures of insturments. The 'Wolf has a large gauge on the rear decking of the canopy. This originally was a pressure gauge for the Ta-152 H for canopy pressure and sealing and was rather small, the artist made it much bigger. I couldn't find an image of the proper one so decided to use what I could find. I grabbed some images and printed them off on photo paper.

DSCF9386.jpg

A bit of sprue was used and the gauge cut out and glued on with super glue. A drop of liq, decal film was put on to seal the image.

DSCF9385.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So, here we go. It's been years sense I used an airbrush. I don't have a compressor so I'm using air cans. This will be my first time using Future and a water color wash. After masking everything off I started the topside coats. The color is a 50/50 mix of Tamyia I J N green and grey. Selected panels were darkened or lightened to get a worn look.

DSCF9423-1.jpg

For scuffing and chipping I used 400 grit sandpaper.

DSCF9455.jpg

Tamyia smoke was used for shading.

DSCF9458.jpg

After I was satisfied with the basic color I sprayed on a coat of Future. I'd read Mat Swans artical on using water color for picking out panel lines so I gave it a try and it worked great. After I was happy with all the lines I misted on two coats of Future mixed 4/1 with Tamyia base which gave a dull semi gloss to the paint. It also darkened and accented everything quite nicely.

After everything was dry I unmasked and got some shots. I still have the underside to do and some touch ups on top but she's looking good.

DSCF9498.jpg

DSCF9499.jpg

DSCF9510.jpg

The screw heads came out just the way I'd hoped...

DSCF9493.jpg

The chipping on the leading edge looks believeable...

DSCF9513.jpg

Now as long as I don't screw up the bottom, I might just get this ship done. Thats it for this time.

Cheers

Vaughn

Edited by spacewolf