Hawker Hunter T.7 Update 2/28/16- Rebirth

scvrobeson

Hey there everybody. it's update time, it's been a few days, but i've been busy. What I did manage to get done though is start decaling the Hunter, and so far, I almost have the top done. The Revell decals worked pretty well, the only problem is that they were a little bit translucent. If I had put them over any other color, it would have been fine, but the red does kind of cut through everything, but I'm not going to worry about it too much. The Fisher decals were also pretty nice, if a big stubborn. The Revell decals snuggled right into the panel lines and rivets, but the Fisher ones needed a bit more Solvaset and coercion to get into the lines. As of now though, it's just down to doing all of the stenciling, using the Revell parts, then worry about the wheel bays. She's getting closer to completion every day, and hope to get it done soon.

HunterT7093.jpg

Here she is with all of her decals applied on top, I like the big roundels on it, and the anti-glare strip helps to break up the bright scheme.

CopyofHunterT7094.jpg

Here's the problem with the roundels. They look nice, and the decals suck into the detail really well, but you can tell the white portions are just a little bit pink, because of the red underneath.

HunterT7095.jpg

And the tail decals, the top one is a Fisher decal, the bottom fin flash is a Revell decal.

That's all for this update everybody .Thanks to everybody for looking in on this build, it's a great motivation. I hope to be back soon with more updates. Thanks for viewing, and feel free to leave comments or critiques on this build, I enjoy hearing them.

Matt

Edited by scvrobeson

Dear Matt,

Paint job looks great.

Nice save,

Look forward to move updates.

Christian :speak_cool:

Thanks Christian. I've been busy lately, but hopefully will be able to get some more work done today or tomorrow. I had a mishap happen, where a chunk of paint on the bottom of the fuselage got pulled off, so I have another touch-up to make. But that shouldn't get in the way of decaling the rest of the bird.

But man, your Ju-52 is looking amazing. Great to see how much work you're putting into it.

Matt

• 1 month later...

SHE LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys! Spent the afternoon stripping the paint off of the Hunter, and I'm getting ready to give it another try. I found a new paint scheme to do it in, an overall Aircraft Grey bird, with some bright blue trim, and a blue tail. It was in the latest Model Airplane International, so I think I'll contact Ad Astra Masks to see if they can do it.

But yeah, using the Testors Easy Lift Off was a pain. It took forever to strip everything off, especially with all of the layers of clear coat, paint, and primer, but eventually, got everything off. Will probably spray down a coat of Mr. Surfacer 1200, just to level off the surface, and cover up all of the mistakes I've made.

HunterT7099.jpg

HunterT7098.jpg

All cleaned off, but there's still a long road ahead to get everything finished up. But I should be getting back to this one now.

Thanks to everyone for sticking with this one, and thanks Thor for prodding me to get back to this one.

Matt :party0023:

Maybe its for the best Matt.

Be interested to see your new scheme. :speak_cool:

I hope to be digging mine out soon that I did some work on a while ago.

I hear rumours there might even be something green in the offing! :ph34r:

Mine will be a pretty standard one though :evil_laugh:

Keep at it!

Phil :thumbsup:

Great to see more progress on it, even if it is a step back so to speak, really like the scheme you're going for.

Thank you. I got an e-mail this morning from Ad Astra, and they're going ahead with the masks. Ian really is a great guy!

Thanks for reading in, I hope to be back to working on this one again, I am tired of it looking at me from it's box behind my work desk....

Maybe its for the best Matt.

Be interested to see your new scheme. :speak_cool:

I hope to be digging mine out soon that I did some work on a while ago.

I hear rumours there might even be something green in the offing! :ph34r:

Mine will be a pretty standard one though :evil_laugh:

Keep at it!

Phil :thumbsup:

Thanks Phil. You're Mosquito build was amazing, are you going to finish the other two now?

Well, about the green Hunters, if you feel like converting yours to a T.12, there's a very cool green and white scheme out there. Or you can do a single seat one in green.

I hope the new scheme comes out okay. I'll have to see how everything looks after I re-prime the whole plane, that could be really interesting, and not really in a good way.... :BANGHEAD2:

Thanks for reading in, I hope you're enjoying the build. Sorry for neglecting it for so long, just needed some motivation to get back to it.

Hi Matt,

Glad to see the Hawker Hunter is still a live and well.

Sometimes you have to start some of the process from the beginning, like this paint job.

I think you have done the right thing; your hard work stripping the paint and rubbing back well pay off.

Keep up the great work.

Regards,

Christian

Hi Matt,

Glad to see the Hawker Hunter is still a live and well.

Sometimes you have to start some of the process from the beginning, like this paint job.

I think you have done the right thing; your hard work stripping the paint and rubbing back well pay off.

Keep up the great work.

Regards,

Christian

Thanks Christian. I think you're right, it was just time to start the process all over again. I spent most of the afternoon fixing all of my previous mistakes, re-dressing seams that had popped open, and getting everyone smoothed back out. After that, I put a base coat of Mr. Surfacer 1200 over the whole plane, and now I get to smooth all of that out, and fix any last problems. I am going with Ad Astra Masks, Ian is really a great guy, and is going to be able to do the blue cheat lines on the nose in the masks, which will make my life a lot easier. :thumbsup:

Thanks for reading in man, any news on when the Ju-52 will start back up?

That's showing some balls.

Stripping it down and starting over.

Respect.

Cheers,

Jeroen

Thanks Jeroen. It was needed, to just start it again. There were a lot of problems in the paint, there was no way to make it look perfect, so I just had to start it over. But this allowed to fix some of the mistakes in the putty and seam job, and that made things better. But the Ad Astra masks will at least allow me to have a one-of-a-kind scheme.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Peterpools

Matt

Great to see you back at the Hunter again. Fully appreciate the effort it took to strip her down and start the finishing process all over again.

Looking forward to all the painting and finishes stages

I know you'll pull it off.

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Peter