1/32 Ju 52 "Tante Ju"

Christian

Wing Construction

I will be working on the finishing of the main wings. Below is picture of the wing root connection to the main wing. As you can see there is an opening.

Ju52Part691.jpg

This open will need to be closed. I use 0.10 inch Evergreen styrene to do this. First I cut out a rough shape and glue the styrene panel into position. Image below.

Ju52Part692.jpg

Now simply trim off the overhanging plastic with my exacto knife.

Ju52Part693.jpg

The Ju 52 wing root to wing connection is not a smooth floor less connection. There are small gaps that now need to be filled.

Ju52Part694.jpg

I have decided to use Gap Filler, the same product that you use to fill gaps in external and internal wall before you paint. Image is below.

Ju52Part695.jpg

Now I simply mask the edge to ensure no gap filler goes into the corrugation.

Ju52Part696.jpg

Simply use the Silone gun or corking gun and squeeze the gap filler into the gaps. Gap filler is easily cleaned up with water and my finger. It takes 6 hours to dry, then I remove the masking tape.

Ju52Part697.jpg

Ju52Part698.jpg

Will now pour some model resin into the wings to strengthen them and then prime the wings; putty, sanding and priming again.

Hopefully I will finish this soon.

Christian

Hi Christian.

I haven't read any further in the blog after you put the canopy gun position in, but if it hasn't already been mentioned either your position is too big or the location is not correct. Have a look at the edge of the position in relation to the edge of the canopy. The position wouldn't have been offset to the left much as that is where the aircraft captain sits and I am sure he wouldn't want someone crawling over him to fire a machine gun.. :)

Impressive work from a fellow Aussie!

Hi Christian.

I haven't read any further in the blog after you put the canopy gun position in, but if it hasn't already been mentioned either your position is too big or the location is not correct. Have a look at the edge of the position in relation to the edge of the canopy. The position wouldn't have been offset to the left much as that is where the aircraft captain sits and I am sure he wouldn't want someone crawling over him to fire a machine gun.. :)

Actually, there is no canopy gun involved in a Legion Condor Ju52, which is what Christian is building (it does pay to read all the posts before replying...) :)

Doug

Edited by DougN

(it does pay to read all the posts before replying...) :)

Doug

Well, seeing that there is 334 posts over 23 pages to this thread, I think it's fair to say we can cut him a little slack. :coolio: :lol:

Christian, is that gap filling caulking paintable? I would have never thought to use that. Brilliant idea.

Keep up the great work

Ron

Hi Christian.

Actually, there is no canopy gun involved in a Legion Condor Ju52, which is what Christian is building (it does pay to read all the posts before replying...) :)

Doug

Hi mate,

Your comment about the canopy machine seams correct; I have positioned it in the middle of the canopy, for 2 reason; the first is the Schmitt Modelbau canopy has a raised ring section formed in the canopy, which guides the machine gun ring size and position. The second reason is because I used the below photo of this Ju 52 as a reference picture. It shows the canopy machine gun in the middle of the canopy. However I believe that the Bomber version does not have one.

Good to hear another Aussie reading in.

Ju52Part201.jpg

Hi Doug,

First let me say thanks for your help with decision not to build the electric MG 151 machine main turret.

As for your comment on the Condor Legion Ju 52 Bombers, I think your right! They did not have a canopy machine added, as I cannot see any photos of it. However I have reference material that states in late 1936 the bomber machine gun where upgrade to 5 x MG 15 positions; however it does not say where they were located??? :unsure:

I also have another problem, this my first plastic plane ever built, I usual scratch build timber planes with some plastic or resin detail parts added. Hence I am not the greatest in modeling using vac kits. I original had 3 x non machine gun canopies and 3 x machine gun canopies, there were 4 x Combat Model canopies and 2 x Schmitt Modelbau canopies.

In my attempt to cut and fit the canopies, I destroyed 4 x Combat Model canopies, I now only have the Schmitt Modelbau machine gun canopies plus the standard canopy left. Hence I am using this MG canopy for now, until I cut and fit the Schmitt Modelbau canopy. Hopefully I will not destroy the last canopy; otherwise it will be a long wait until a Combat Model replacement comes.

Thanks for input guys, I really do appreciate it, I found this plane to be hardest I have ever built, she is fighting me all the way. :deadhorse: Without comments and advice it be even harder to build Tante Ju.

Happy New Year, :beer4:

Christian

Edited by Christian

Well, seeing that there is 334 posts over 23 pages to this thread, I think it's fair to say we can cut him a little slack. :coolio: :lol:

Christian, is that gap filling caulking paintable? I would have never thought to use that. Brilliant idea.

Keep up the great work

Ron

Hi Ron,

Yes, the gap filler is paintable; however it does shrink a little bit. The results look good and I happy with that.

I have now primed the main wings and sanded/puttied/sanded/puttied and primed again.

Updated thread soon with pictures.

Speak to you later,

Christian

Wing Construction- Part 2

The Ju 52 now needs a solid base for the landing gear as this Tante Ju is getting heavy and the underside of the wing is bending when she is put on her land gear.

I mix and pour model resin into the 2 holes I drilled in the front of the wing. It took 4 separate pour to get the wing root and underside of the wing filled with resin.

This was not leaking of resin between the wing root and main wing connect due to use of gap filler.

After the resin had hardened, I notice a crack in the underside of the wing had occurred. Image below

Ju52Part701.jpg

I held the plane to the light and you can how long the crack is :( . The crack on the left side is on the surface of the corrugation. The crack on the right side is has not reached the surface. The right side is not a worry as there is model resin in the wing hence the crack will not develop any further. The left is another story and will have to figure out how to fix it. :unsure:

I also putty and sanded the seam lines on the wings and painted the wings with some primer.

Ju52Part702.jpg

Ju52Part703.jpg

Bomber Crew- Part 1

This build will have a full bomber crew. Taking tips from Vaughn build I have altered both Master Detail pilot figures but cutting and re-shaping arms and legs. Below are the co-pilot and dorsal machine gunner. :piliot:

Ju52Part704.jpg

Also re-built the dorsal gun turret was no happy with old turret. Waiting on MG 15 to come in the mail.

Ju52Part705.jpg

Scratch Building Ju 52 Interior – Part 5

No this last of the bulk head and ribbing is added to the interior rear section of the plane. :frantic: I also scratch built the last entry door of the Junker 52, the door was made from the old Schmitt Modelbau fuselage. Pictures are below.

Ju52Part706.jpg

Ju52Part707.jpg

Ju52Part708.jpg

Glued into position the second last bulk. Due to the internal ribbing locking it in place. The rest of the bulk heads can be removed for painting.

All that is left to do on the interior is the MG 15 magazine racks, internal lights and wiring; I think.

Hope you all have happy New Year and I will see you in 2012.

Thanks for reading in.

Christian

Christian,

" Not the greatest in modeling using vac kit" Damn fella you don't know just how good you are. Excellent project and build thread my friend.I've just read the entire thread today so I'm a little late to the party but at least I didn't miss it completely.Don't sell yourself short my friend as a long time vac builder I can tell you you you've got it down pat.Looking forward to the next update.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

The kit is looking a lot more true than the first attempt. Wings,etc. look like they line up nicely now. Love the details and the fact that you are including the crew. You are in the home strech now mate!

J

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for dropping in.

Yes, I have to agree that new Combat Model fuselage kit is a whole better because it was not falling to pieces like the old Schmitt Modelbau fuselage.

I am glad you the start of my 5 man bomber crew.

I am still looking for crewman to fill the bomber.

Speak to you later,

Christian