Thoughts on Hawks...

Derek B

Hi Derek,

Don't know if it helps - or simply muddies the waters - but IIRC the wings in the Revell kit are marked T1/100 on the inner face so it appears Revell may already have thoughts on this?

Won't be near mine to confirm exact wording until the weekend...

Iain

Thanks Iain - This is the type of thing I need to know. I do not want to spend a lot of time making master patterns for something that Revell intends to cover anyway (my initial concern). Like you, I have not seen the kit sprues in detail yet, but I have ordered the kit.

Many thanks

Derek

"but IIRC the wings in the Revell kit are marked T1/100 on the inner face so it appears Revell may already have thoughts on this?"

Well this looks(sounds)promising....would like to build a CT-155 as well. :speak_cool: was pondering what would be needed for a kit bash myself and realised it would be a considerable work up(especially the front end),hoping someone was thinking of it,now we just wait a bit and see.

Hi Derek,

been reading your thread, might be worth a word with John Adams at Aeroclub.

Reason being, had a chat last month at Huddersfield about the seats, his thinking

(at the time!) was that he was going to have a look, as was a friend of his.

Now, never quantified who would do what, but MY take was there were two different seats,

(poss. an early and a late Mk. 10?) in two different materials, white metal and resin?

Rather than duplicate, it may free you up for more ambitious things?! :wicked:

Should you require it, John posts on Britmodeller as 'john aero'!

All the best,

Paul

Hi Derek,

been reading your thread, might be worth a word with John Adams at Aeroclub.

Reason being, had a chat last month at Huddersfield about the seats, his thinking

(at the time!) was that he was going to have a look, as was a friend of his.

Now, never quantified who would do what, but MY take was there were two different seats,

(poss. an early and a late Mk. 10?) in two different materials, white metal and resin?

Rather than duplicate, it may free you up for more ambitious things?! :wicked:

Should you require it, John posts on Britmodeller as 'john aero'!

All the best,

Paul

Thanks Paul. I know John quite well, so I shall drop him a line if I still have his e-mail address.

Regards

Derek

Ok, now have the kit in my hands and I have just had a very brief look at it. I can see why Iain likes this kit so much, it is very good and looks to be very accurate in the main. I could not find any embossed allusion to the Hawk 100 that Iain mentions, just Hawk T.Mk.1. However, examining the break down of the sprues very carefully, I can see evidence that suggests that this base kit would be suitable for all Hawk marks up to 60 series export aircraft (the two wing store hard points have flashed over holes in the wings, there is gun pod and two differing tail cone fairing back plates for both the non-brake chute RAF Hawk T.Mk.1A aircraft and brake chute equipped export Hawk aircraft).

As for the 100 series aircraft, I think that the jury is still largely out on that one. I suspect that Revell would need an entirely new mould tool to accomodate that variant.

Derek

Hi folks.

Had a look at my kit: no mention of Hawk T1/100 on my sample. It just shows Hawk T1.

Any clue about this difference? I bought my kit here in Belgium.

Derek, please go on with a new cockpit & seats. The wheel well need some added detail too, but this should be more difficult to make in resin (very little space and part of the well is molded with the fuselage).

Another part that may be improved is the front wheel fork: separate but basic part from Revell.

And don't forget the flaps!

Cheers!

Henri

Edited by Paboum53

Any clue about this difference?

Hello Henri,

I posted this in post #29...It pretty well covers the differences:

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

Further thoughts on the 100 series Hawk aircraft...From the top of my head, the main changes needed to convert the Revell 1/32 Hawk T.Mk.1 to a 100 series Hawk would be a new cockpit interior and seats, wing tip LAU-7 launcher rails and other wing mods, new fin with RWR antenna, new tailcone fairings (brake chute and/or CHAFF/Flare mods), intake lights, new longer nose, nose leg and doors, fuselage SMURFS and stores/tanks. This would probably retail at £20.00+ pounds...Any interest?

I will certainly be looking at the flaps. I need to check what John Adams is doing on ejection seats before I decide on those or not. Fully detailed cockpit is an optional choice for me at the moment as I haven't really had the time to see how the kit cockpit actually stacks up against the full size cockpit - Likewise for the canopy. I will need to assess the undercarriage areas and have a think about those. Thanks for your input Henri.

Regards

Derek

...Just noticed a curiosity with the Revell Hawk kit, the two fuselage ventral fins have a symmetrical curved cross-section...they should be flat plates!...

Regards

Derek

...Just noticed a curiosity with the Revell Hawk kit, the two fuselage ventral fins have a symmetrical curved cross-section...they should be flat plates!...

Regards

Derek

Very interesting Derek. Thanks for pointing this out, I'd have missed it completely.

Please highlight anything else that you notice, cheers.

:speak_cool:

Fully detailed cockpit is an optional choice for me at the moment as I haven't really had the time to see how the kit cockpit actually stacks up against the full size cockpit - Likewise for the canopy.

Regards

Derek

Hello again Derek,

Since you mentioned the cockpit and canopy I thought I'd bring an interesting comment to your attention.

Ken Duffey over on ARC compared the photos of a finished model to similar images of the full sized aircraft to ask whether the canopy line is accurate.

See his post (#5) here

It may be a parallax issue as the angles are not identical but perhaps something worth consideration if you plan to invest time in this area.

Cheers

Edited by geedubelyer

Hi AK47,

LSP Hacker was just asking me the same thing on another post. I could produce a 100 series Hawk conversion kit, but it would probably cost more than the basic kit! I do not know if Revell will follow this kit up with a 100 series aircraft or not? However, I am open to further thoughts and discussion on the subject...

Derek

Further thoughts on the 100 series Hawk aircraft...From the top of my head, the main changes needed to convert the Revell 1/32 Hawk T.Mk.1 to a 100 series Hawk would be a new cockpit interior and seats, wing tip LAU-7 launcher rails and other wing mods, new fin with RWR antenna, new tailcone fairings (brake chute and/or CHAFF/Flare mods), intake lights, new longer nose, nose leg and doors, fuselage SMURFS and stores/tanks. This would probably retail at £20.00+ pounds...Any interest?

Derek

Thanks, Derek.

As for aftermarket costing more than the basic kit, I'm pretty used to that happening nowadays. Some of those "Big Ed" combo sets do that. I think the 20+ quid figure for your Hawk 100 bits is fair.

- Patrick

Edited by kalashnikov-47

Hello again Derek,

Since you mentioned the cockpit and canopy I thought I'd bring an interesting comment to your attention.

Ken Duffey over on ARC compared the photos of a finished model to similar images of the full sized aircraft to ask whether the canopy line is accurate.

See his post (#5) here

It may be a parallax issue as the angles are not identical but perhaps something worth consideration if you plan to invest time in this area.

Cheers

Hi G,

Always very difficult to judge things by photographs alone - especially anything with curved surfaces - which is why I do not hold much store with them until I can compare the kit with known good photographs and drawings. However, intial impressions (and they are no more than that) would leave one to believe that the front cockpit canopy may be slightly too deep, but not by anything as much as the photographs would have you believe. Likewise, the nose shape appears to be a little too curved on the bottom and not quite enough on top; but the errors (if any) look ony very minor and will probably not be bad enough to worry most modellers.

Obviously, I would need to check this out carefully before I went ahead with anything, but I know the Hawk canopy very well and there is a lot of detail not included within the Revell kit, but in terms of overall accuracy and value for money, it is a very difficult kit to beat...I shall certainly be buying for of these kits in the future.

Cheers

Derek

Thanks, Derek.

As for aftermarket costing more than the basic kit, I'm pretty used to that happening nowadays. Some of those "Big Ed" combo sets do that. I think the 20+ quid figure for your Hawk 100 bits is fair.

- Patrick

Thank you for your feedback Patrick - it is nice to get this sort of feeling at this stage. If I new what Revell intended to do, then my mind would be fully made up!

Thanks

Derek