Spray booth - build

mattlow

Thanks Mark

Lets hope it actually works in practice as well as theory..???

One more photo I forgot to upload. This shows the fan unit sat under the silver 'grease filters'

100_6462.jpg

I'm hoping to replace the three speed switch with a rheostat to give me a full range of speeds. Not sure how feasible this is? Thinking of using a dimmer switch but I know enough about electrics to know I don't know enough about this idea - so I need to speak to a sparks...

Matt

Hi

Bit more progress. I've sealed the unit and outlet vent (using plenty of duct tape) and mounted it on the legs of my work bench.

Set up for normal working....

100_6466.jpg

need to do some painting... hey presto!

100_6465.jpg

Work area (covered by the three perforated filters) is 30cm deep and 70cm wide.

I've a window directly above so plenty of natural light. When its dark I have a lamp with a daylight flourescent and a polariser (Actulite) which gives a very good light to work with.

Friends coming for the bank holiday so back to this next week to make a hood and fit a ducting kit to get the exaust out of the window. Nearly there. Also need to get some sort of filter material. Any suggestions?

Matt

Hi Kev

Its a filter which (from what I recall) scatters the light from the flourescent tube. This gives a very even and much less harsh light - quite weird as it casts much less of a shadow as well. Really good light to work with.

Here's a link to their website : http://www.actulite.com/

It did cost a bit. But the light is just so much better to work with and easy on the eyes that I've felt the cost well worth it.

Matt

Hi Kev

Its a filter which (from what I recall) scatters the light from the flourescent tube. This gives a very even and much less harsh light - quite weird as it casts much less of a shadow as well. Really good light to work with.

Here's a link to their website : http://www.actulite.com/

It did cost a bit. But the light is just so much better to work with and easy on the eyes that I've felt the cost well worth it.

Matt

Thanks Matt. I've actually been after something like this for some time. I've been chasing an OttLite for a couple of years now, but it seems both these products are hard to find in Australia. I'll keep searching I guess.

Kev

Also need to get some sort of filter material. Any suggestions?

Matt,

Try these people: http://www.espares.co.uk/

If they don't have the actual filter material for your hood then they sell generic filter material pretty cheaply.

Very good service.

I would seriously consider putting a sheet of filter material on top of your grease filters so it catches the paint first before the main filter.

Those are designed to catch grease particles which are much bigger than paint and replacing them could prove v.expensive.

HTH

Phil

Thanks Matt. I've actually been after something like this for some time. I've been chasing an OttLite for a couple of years now, but it seems both these products are hard to find in Australia. I'll keep searching I guess.

Kev

Kev. The light and even the flourescent tube daylight unit are pretty standard. Its just the slab of polarising material that is 'unique' about these units. It may be possible to just purchase the polariser from them (very light and should be cheap to post...?).

Matt,

Try these people: http://www.espares.co.uk/

If they don't have the actual filter material for your hood then they sell generic filter material pretty cheaply.

Very good service.

I would seriously consider putting a sheet of filter material on top of your grease filters so it catches the paint first before the main filter.

Those are designed to catch grease particles which are much bigger than paint and replacing them could prove v.expensive.

HTH

Phil

Thanks Phil. I'll look them up. Trying to fit the exaust pipe at the moment.... close to trying it out!!

Matt