1/32 Focke Wulf Fw190D-9

Tudor Gh

hang in there!

did you decide on what you were going to do with rudder and elevators?

i am still mulling over buying the BlackDog resin rudder and elevators for my build, but i too am a little unclear about how to pose everything

i was thinking rudder at slight angle along with tail wheel (if my resin permits!) and elevators "flopped" just slightly

what do you think?

hope you get your parts in time

Nick

hang in there!

did you decide on what you were going to do with rudder and elevators?

i am still mulling over buying the BlackDog resin rudder and elevators for my build, but i too am a little unclear about how to pose everything

i was thinking rudder at slight angle along with tail wheel (if my resin permits!) and elevators "flopped" just slightly

what do you think?

hope you get your parts in time

Nick

I have looked at the Black Dog resin set before engaging in this project, but I thought I could get away with cutting my own elevators (which I did). I have left the rudder in its default position (straight). I'm still not sure what to do with the elevators - I put the control stick in a an upright position, so I think that implies the elevators should be straight as well. What do you think? This being my first 1/32 project, I felt I had to limit myself to how much resin I could implement; the next projects will have increasing amounts of AM parts/resin (once I overcome my fears heheh).

Given the sheer size of your project, I would totally invest into the Black Dog tail set - it would look perfect with the tail wheel and certainly improve the overall look.

Thanks for the support,

Tudor

well i too have already glued the control stick in place, and to be honest i wonder whether with just a little rudder deflection, would anyone really notice that the stick wasn't aligned accordingly?

i honestly don't think they would.

also, does the tail wheel have to match the rudder deflection??

i am still not sure if elevators "droop", irrespective of stick position, once the aircraft is at rest and everything is "switched off" (note use of very technical aeronautical term :lol: )

This is my first time entering a contest, so I'm not sure how the judging works :unsure:

However, I cannot cut my rudder out - it's been painted, glossed and decal-ed :doh: But you can definitely cut out your rudder and put it at an angle. That I do know has to come with a re-positioned stick.

The tail wheel is swung left/right as the plane is parking, right? Let's say the pilot was parking, and turned left a bit: the tail wheel is definitely turned left, but I'm thinking he would (after parking) also move his joystick, hence moving the rudder. So, both options for the rudder are fine, but the wheel is "fixed", if you know what I mean.

Once I get home from school today, I'll look into the two volumes by Jerry Crandall, and see if elevators are dropped/droopy when parked and other such details.

Cheers,

Tudor

Hi guys,

IIRC correctly the tail wheel can be disengaged to "freewheel" so the a/c could be moved about by ground crew. I think this involved the pilot pulling the stick all the way to the rear which unlocked the tailwheel. The control surfaces would naturally move but once the wheel was unlocked they and the stick could be returned to normal. It was then free to move until locked again somehow (posibly the same method?). I cannot recall where I read it (possibly Jerry's books) but I recall reading it somewhere. I have my tail wheel turned to provide a little interest.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the plane was finished last Tuesday night, and today I went to IPMS Vancouver 2010 with it. Unfortunately, it didn't win a spot in its category.

I will however, post some pictures and submit an article of the finished build very soon!

Tudor

Thank you for the feedback! Please don't hesitate to point out anything that seems faulty or such. I'm always looking for improvement.

And Allok, I dedicated all my efforts to finish it before IPMS Vancouver 2010, which was this past Saturday. So yes, quite a fast project :speak_cool:

Cheers,

Tudor