1/32 scale Trumpeter IL-2

alaninaustria

And I certainly hope you point out ways in which the kit can be improved. Nice model, I'm going to wait for the two-seater, saw one at a museum in Prague a couple of years ago and it really is a big beast, so only one for me! Hope you do a review of the single-seater. Cheers!

I am currently writing how to improve the kit in my still-to-be published book, but I've agreed with LSP_Kevin to do a full review of the kit (so you don't have to wait for the book, guaranteed to be a best-seller!) in which I will go over the good points and the bad points of the kit, and how it can be improved. I envy your being able to see the Prague-Kbely example - they did a nice job on the restoration, although the three-colour scheme they used could be improved (the brown should be light-tan, and the grey should be darker like an Extra Dark Sea Grey). I'm not normally much of a rivet-counter when it comes to kits (or restored full-size aeroplanes), but in this case, it's kind of my job.

Regards,

Learstang

Thank you for the welcome, Kevin, and yes I would be interested in doing a kit review. Just tell me what I need to do.

Regards,

Learstang

When you've got it written up, and taken whatever photos you deem necessary, bundle the lot up into a ZIP file and email it off to Erik via editor@largescaleplanes.com. If you write it up using Word, DON'T embed the photos in the Word document! Just include some placeholder text if location is important (something like "photo_1 goes here").

Some more details can be found in the How to submit an article to LSP article.

Kev

When you've got it written up, and taken whatever photos you deem necessary, bundle the lot up into a ZIP file and email it off to Erik via editor@largescaleplanes.com. If you write it up using Word, DON'T embed the photos in the Word document! Just include some placeholder text if location is important (something like "photo_1 goes here").

Some more details can be found in the How to submit an article to LSP article.

Kev

Thank you, Kevin, for the information! I've already started doing the write up on the kit. I do have to correct one "inaccuracy" I noted - this kit does indeed come with the correct eight rocket rails and rockets. I missed that on my first, rather cursory examination of the kit. Not only does it have the rockets, but the rest of the ordnance is very comprehensive and well done indeed. However, I'll go into more detail on that in my write up. At this point I can't really give you a timetable as my book takes first priority (although this write up and my book are not mutually exclusive).

Regards,

Learstang

At this point I can't really give you a timetable as my book takes first priority (although this write up and my book are not mutually exclusive).

Take your time mate, no rush. Feel free to post any preliminary findings on the forums in the interim.

Kev

Take your time mate, no rush. Feel free to post any preliminary findings on the forums in the interim.

Kev

Thank you, Kevin, I will do so. I don't know if this is the place to post it, but I've just seen on the Hobby Boss website (www.hobbyboss.com/83201.htm), the box art for the wheeled single-seater Shturmovik. As they had the box art for the ski-equipped version posted on their website several months before it was available (I don't even know if it's technically in release even now), it may be a few months before this version is available. One thing I did notice about the photo-etched parts for the ski-equipped version, which include parts for the bomb bays and the seatbelts, is they also have the strap the rear gunner sat on, so I would say a two-seater(s) is definitely in the works. At this rate I'll have to take out a loan to buy all the versions they come out with. Still, a nice problem to have.

Regards,

Learstang

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to add a few more observations about this kit. (LSP_Kevin is going to be nice enough to post my full review in toto in the Review section of this site sometime next week, I believe). Not only does the kit have the etched brass for the gunner's strap, but it also has a nicely done 12.7mm Berezin UBT machine gun for the two-seater. More intriguing still, what I thought were the 20mm and 23mm cannons, turn out to be the 23mm and 37mm cannons, respectively. So, it looks like we may have a 37mm armed IL-2 in the works! I hope they do it as the correct straight-winged two-seater, and not the arrow (the swept-winged version). In terms of a correction, I notice that the skis do not have the small attachment point near the front where a wire was apparently attached to the front of the landing gear (although to be honest it's hard to see the line in the few photographs of the ski-equipped version I've seen). At any rate, there definitely was a small bump there, as you can see if you look at my modest little model I posted pictures of earlier in this thread. That's it from Shturmovikaya, for the moment, but stay tuned!

Regards,

Learstang

thanks for the update Learstang

am defintely looking forward to the whole Sturmovik "family"

Nick

You're welcome, Nick! I'm definitely looking forward to the whole lot, although where I will store them (or get the money to buy them) are different matters altogether. Still, a welcome problem to have. I only hope that they do the two-seaters with the wooden fuselage, and not that bl***y metal fuselage. That'll save a bit of sanding and/or filling in. I don't mind the metal wings so much - more of the two-seaters apparently had metal wings than used to be thought. At any rate, we shall see. If they come out with a new version every six months or so, that would be just about right. I should have my loan for the previous version just about paid off by then.

Regards,

Learstang

Guest Smitty1

But wait, what have we here? post-16439-1279988895.jpg Listed as new on Hobby Boss site! I wonder when we will see them in the U.S? Anybody bought one any place but e-bay?

But wait, what have we here? post-16439-1279988895.jpg Listed as new on Hobby Boss site! I wonder when we will see them in the U.S? Anybody bought one any place but e-bay?

Smitty1, HB posted that on their site a week or so ago. Since the ski-equipped version appeared on their site several months before it was available, at least on ebay, it may be some time before it comes to a hobby shop near you. Speaking of the ski-equipped version, I've yet to see it any place other than ebay - for example, Hannants and Squadron still don't have it as available, just as a future release or "presell" from Squadron. Still, it's nice to see the wheeled version is already moulded and packaged, then onto the straight-winged two-seater, then the 37mm armed version, and then the arrow! The whole set! Amaze your friends, estrange your wife! I'll buy a house just to have a place to display them! Must have...

Regards,

Learstang

2 seater, skis, winter white, covered in patriotic slogans ....

Mike, unfortunately the 2-seater didn't have the skis. But I agree with the winter white, with some large patriotic slogan on the side(s), preferably in red, weathered to within an inch of its life (you should see how nicely the winter scheme showed off the considerable engine exhaust stains). Personally, I'm waiting for the 37mm armed version to do in white - I've already got the particular plane picked out (as a matter of fact, I intend on doing one in that toy scale, 1/72nd, first).

Regards,

Learstang

Guest Smitty1
Smitty1, HB posted that on their site a week or so ago. Since the ski-equipped version appeared on their site several months before it was available, at least on ebay, it may be some time before it comes to a hobby shop near you. Speaking of the ski-equipped version, I've yet to see it any place other than ebay - for example, Hannants and Squadron still don't have it as available, just as a future release or "presell" from Squadron. Still, it's nice to see the wheeled version is already moulded and packaged, then onto the straight-winged two-seater, then the 37mm armed version, and then the arrow! The whole set! Amaze your friends, estrange your wife! I'll buy a house just to have a place to display them! Must have...

Regards,

Learstang

Well I saw it available at hobby linc Japan for about $168 American(the ski version that is). Fortunately Trumpeter has tought me patience as I waited for the Harrier kit for some three years or so. I have a feeling it'll be cheaper at Sprue Brothers or Yannis...