Me-262A-1a R4M rockets

SWApilot

I've got extra Trumpeter R4M racks and rockets. Where to send them?

Hey Steve, if you still have the Trump R4M racks and rokets I would love to purchase them from you. I can be contacted at chuckblueriver@hotmail.com .

Radu's R4Ms are lovely as is the launch rail setup (a/c undoubtedly spent more time without missiles on board than with).

Maybe the answer to the missiles themselves is to get them turned? If companies like Aber and Schatton can do 1/35 .50 cal. spent cartridges then R4M bodies and warheads shouldn't be an issue - pricey, but do-able.

Could get them to turn up some panzerblitz for our FW 190 Fs as well....?

Matt

PS, not suggesting you do this Radu - but if you had the time....

The rocket bodies are not all that hairy-difficult, but to be really right, the folding fins would be crazy-hard to replicate. The Trumpeter rockets are not all that bad for the basic shape, well, except for the nozzle end, and don't have fins. But they are a major step up from the old Hasegawa units, which were just simple rods.

My semi-Luft '46 builds will cheat and use the alternate 19-round rocket pods, though ought to build at least one late war machine with the racks.

Radu,

I'll take two sets if you are in the mood . . . I have photos of two previously unknown Me 262s with these weapons and would like to eventually do them someday (one from JV 44 and another from a KG(J) unit with a chequerband - very cool).

David

I am working on it... I have the photo-etched parts, it is only the resin that needs to be done.

The problem with the rockets is not in "making the masters", but rather in replicating them. As I said, making the rockets in resin was the issue. I went to the atttic yesterday and dug out the rockets I still have. They were full of bubbles and unusable, and that happened despite having one of the best casters working on them while giving his best. I guess that there may be some other compromise, I am still trying to figure it out though.

The option to get them turned is waaaaaaaayyyyy too expensive. The "usual suspects" charge about 2 euro for a gun barrel. Imagine the price of 24 rockets. The fins were not a problem, I made them in photo-etched and they worked reasonably well.

Watch this space, when the rails are ready I will announce them here.

Radu

I have been reading the posts on this topic and I recently contacted Piotr at Master Model. I wrote..

Piotr

I have a new challenge for you. Some Luftwaffe aircraft were equiped with batteries of R4M rockets. I have read of the difficulties of other modelers who have tried to cast them in resin, only to find that the results are more often than not unsuccessful. I hope that you consider this, It would make an outstanding addition to your Air Master line. Thinking about it a Wfr. Gr. 21 rocket with launch tubes would be outstanding.

Thanks

John Jernigan

I just got back a reply from Piotr

Hi John,

Thank you a lot for your suggestions! Yes... I is really good idea and

nice challenge for me. I've thought about this subject last time when I

watched Bf110 and Fw 190 models. I would like to ensure you that I

consider this idea very seriously! I hope that I am able to do it.

Best regards,

Piotr Czerkasow

MASTER

I know that It is not set in stone but at least he is going to give it the old college try. To be fair to Radu, the quality of his rockets and racks are superb! I am one of those lucky few who actually got a set, before he withdwrew them. I am confident that metal rockets are the way to go, and Piotr has been very receptive to suggestions from modelers.

• 5 months later...