Foiled Hasegawa P-51D

Out2gtcha

Thanks for the kind words guys! :D

Dude that is amazing! And for those that think I am insane what with my Merlin and all.... I rest my case! Beautiful inspirational work,

Rob

I Feel your pain Rob on all the fits your mustang has given you. DB has faught me tooth and nail the whole way.

To use a Brit term.. I'm "gob smacked".... incredible... learning tons and just in awe !

:speak_cool:

Cheers

Vaughn

Quite a complement coming from you Vaughn, thanks. Been watching your Miles thread with MUCHO interest. Scratch work is awesome on that thing.

I am in the midst of applying decals but have some "home" work to do over the weekend, so putting the rest of the decals on will have to wait till next week. I will likely spend some time making things like inner gear door actuators and some other little annoying things that can be knocked out fairly quickly.

I still have to add the shiny foil piece to the inner gear door as well.

Once the decals are done, Ill apply the protective wax and I will probably try to get her up on her legs. Once that is done, I can start in adding the rest of the detail pieces that protrude out, and cant be added till the gear is on.

After that there will not be much to do...................Heading toward the finish line on this one!

Thanks for looking in on me. :)

Cheers,

Brian

Admit it.

You are actually an alien and you have a shrinking machine!

There's a couple of you on this site, we know who you are. :speak_cool:

Mr Churchill wants to know if you can do some cockpit lights?

Need em shrunk to 1/24 please.

A bit of progress with some of the decals. Gonna take care of some home projects this weekend and might not be able to get to the rest till this upcoming week, but so far they are turning out good

WIP_DB_206.jpg

WIP_DB_207.jpg

WIP_DB_208.jpg

BTW People anyone who could help................

I ruined mine and dont have a second set, but would still like to put them on.

Would any of you guys have the following placard decals for both sides of the mustang under the cockpits?

WIP_DB_DOC_5.jpg

I think most decent P-51 decal sheets come with them. Anyone who has a set be willing to mail them to me?

Thanks in advance guys.....

Cheers,

Brian

Brian, I was just thinking about problems you might encounter with carrier film on your stencils.

I think you should consider Hobbydecal dry transfers.

They do a set for the P51 : http://www.hobbydecal.com/category.cgi?cat...ncils/WWII/l:32

Advantages are that you have no film. I used them on an F-4J and they really are great.

You would have to test to make sure your wax finish doesn't affect them but they are pretty tough once dried out after a few days.

Should be widely available in the US.

HTH

Phil

Brian I have that stencil you've circled in both dry transfer (hobbydecal) form and in waterslide decal form. You're welcome to both if you want them as i only do RAF subjects :)

AWESOME James! Would you mind sending me both if your not using them?

(Ive not tried the stecils and would like to.........as well as having an extra copy of the decals.)

PM Inbound James........and Thanks again!

Cheers,

Brian

I don't wanna be a party-pooper on this amazing project....but I think the dry transfers only work on flat surfaces.

I have a set of Hobbydecal transfers that I tried to use on a polished metal finish and wherever I used the dry transfers I had to make the surface flat so they would stick....it would not hold onto the glossy areas at all....but then again it was Alclad. Maybe bare aluminum will work better? I really hope so !

Everything is looking awesome Brian....its gonna be such a beautiful model !

GM

I don't wanna be a party-pooper on this amazing project....but I think the dry transfers only work on flat surfaces.

I have a set of Hobbydecal transfers that I tried to use on a polished metal finish and wherever I used the dry transfers I had to make the surface flat so they would stick....it would not hold onto the glossy areas at all....but then again it was Alclad. Maybe bare aluminum will work better? I really hope so !

Everything is looking awesome Brian....its gonna be such a beautiful model !

GM

I hope they work but now im not so sure........... :(

Well Ill try them out and see if they stick. If not hopefully Ill have a back up decal. The original stencil I used for them (and consequently ruined :BANGHEAD2:) didnt look too bad, I just had to cut the carrier fairly close around some of the lettering to get it to look right.

I hope the dry transfers work..........have to wait and see. I can always get them off if they dont stick; foil seems to be pretty robust.

Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers,

Brian

The envelope is probably being chucked into the belly of a 747 as I type this Brian :speak_cool:

I've included the dry transfer and 2 copies of the waterslide so you should have all bases covered.

The dry transfer sheet has a couple of other transfers i didn't use for you to have a practice with. The trick is to use a ball-point pen and very lightly rub the rear of the sheet. Use light pressure and resist the temptation to press harder as they won't come off!

Hey Brian

Any updates on this beauty??

Cant wait to see more

Cheers

NEo

Thanks for stoppin in on me Neo.............yeah I have received the decals from Ken (and some replacement stars and bars thanks to Fred, as I dinged up the originals pretty bad with some frisket paper :innocent: ) and I am proceeding to finish the decals up. I need to basically finish the decals and wax the fuse to maintain the mirror like finish without changing its look by clear-coating it.........another process I have never done before as DB has called on processes and techniques I have never used before throughout this build.

I also have finished up some of the minor details like the inner gear doors and final cockpit detailing.

The reason I havent had any photos up is the last week/week 1/2 has been filled with household drama. YUCK> I hate drama and conflict, but the last week or 2 has been filled with it as the live in GF and I have broken up.

Im now just waiting on some minor decals to go on, and then I can wax the fuse...................after that its ASSEMBLY TIME!

Ill try to get some photos up this weekend of where im at with DB.

As always, thanks for stopping in on me............it gives me motivation to keep going and push through to the finish..........which Dixie Boy is VERY close to now.

Cheers,

Brian

ONE STEP FORWARD AND TWO STEPS BACK.............

Hes truly battling me at every turn.

I had to touch up the olive drab anti-glare, and a piece of the frisket film got stuck to part of the rear fuse and pulled not only part(s) of each of the 151s on each side off, it pulled parts of the fuse stars and bars off........a bit on each side. *SIGH*

Got the rest of the decals off and re-polished the foil........then got back to a fresh clean area to lay down the new fuse numbers and stars & bars

WIP_DB_216.jpg

TWO STEPS FORWARD AND THREE STEPS BACK...........

Started applying the 151 fuse numbers first cause I (thought I) knew where they had to go. :rolleyes:

Uh oh...... :BANGHEAD2:

WIP_DB_214.jpg

Stars and bars are going to touch the numbers and the stripe......with no room in between either. :speak_cool:

WIP_DB_215.jpg

Numbers had to be scrapped off......again.

I WILL prevail.

I have however learned quite a bit about what I want to do and what im not going to do next time.....

Got a bit frustrated with the second round of decal scraping so I decided to finish off some of the little bits and bobs that needed little things to be added once the decals and waxing are done.

Got the tail wheel gear doors done. There not quite as up to par but are so small and fiddly, to redo any stiping at this point would be risking madness. They do look better in person.

WIP_DB_212.jpg

Got the inner gear doors done as well

WIP_DB_221.jpg

Finished off installing the inner liner of the rear scoop, and added the stainless steel actuating arm, as the arm actually rests on the bottom of the scoop, and the upper/inner lining of the scoop is made from card stock and has teh small oval (or as oval as I could make) hole in it for the arm.........then was foiled and the sides of the scoop that rub a bit on the fuse were foiled then grained.

WIP_DB_220.jpg

WIP_DB_219.jpg

This time when I started decaling the fuse again, I started with the stars and bars and positioned as needed........

MORE

New fuse insignia

WIP_DB_217.jpg

Numbers back on

WIP_DB_222.jpg

And finally.............

WIP_DB_209.jpg

WIP_DB_210.jpg

WIP_DB_211.jpg

WIP_DB_213.jpg

Halted progress for the night there, and will give the decals 12-24 hrs to settle in, before I wax the airframe.

Thanks for stopping in on me once again......

Cheers,

Brian