Foiled Hasegawa P-51D

Out2gtcha

Here we are again.........quite rainy this weekend in the center of the USA so a bit more conducive to modeling.

Got just a tiny bit of work on the engine done.

Got the engine panels where the exhaust comes out thinned down, bay painted, engine minimalistically painted (wont see that much behind the beautifl moskit exhausts) and installed in bay along with new consecutive size brass tubing for the new spinner/prop mount:

DSC00819.jpg

DSC00820.jpg

DSC00815.jpg

Quite a a bit O sanding left to get spinner to match up with nose radius, but it spins, and IS flush with the front fuse plate that matches up with the spinner, and thats the most important at this stage

DSC00816.jpg

DSC00817.jpg

I worked on the wings a bit as well and now it is time...............

FILLING AND SANDING TIME!!!!! yay

DSC00814.jpg

Cheers,

Brian

I love the work you're doing on this kit Brian. You describe yourself as not being a great modeller, but I disagree. I don't think I'm alone though in saying that I can't wait for you to get to the foiling stage!

Kev

I love the work you're doing on this kit Brian. You describe yourself as not being a great modeller, but I disagree. I don't think I'm alone though in saying that I can't wait for you to get to the foiling stage!

Kev

Kev,

We probably shouldn't keep telling him that, he's liable to get the proverbial 'big head' :)

Fred

Well, Ive been chugging along slowly during the week actually, just working at my own pace. Ive got next monday off, so there hopefully will be a lot of work done this weekend on Dixie Boy.

I managed to fit the initially problematic wings together, buttoning up the leading and trailing edge seams.

After the brass spare fix for the horribly warped wings, im happy with the overall outcome

DSC00823.jpg

DSC00822.jpg

Next up, I finish sanded the seams and smoothed out the nasty raised rivets and filled the erroneous panel lines in

DSC00821.jpg

Next I temporarily removed the pilots seat and added a IP light and other minor details to the IP hood

DSC00828.jpg

DSC00827.jpg

DSC00826.jpg

After I masked the bits of detail I wanted to keep on the fuse,I moved on to some sanding and smoothing of the nose.

I said goodbye to the Merlin, and got the fuse buttoned up and seems sanded.

The final shape is still not quite there but the mating of the rutman spinner to the Has fuse is now coming along nicely

DSC00824.jpg

DSC00825.jpg

MORE............

Next in line while I was in a sanding and smoothing mode, was to take and scrape out a space for the PE carb intakes. OOB molded intakes look ok, but PE are much cooler looking.

I used dymo tape and a sharp razor blade to scrape out the initial shape. Then after test fitting the PE carb cover, I rolled the carb cover on a smooth exacto handle, and got the correct curve for the Has cowl.

DSC00829.jpg

I used CA to fix it in place, and then filled the remaining outer seems with CA and let it all dry. After the CA dried, I sanded the whole area smooth.

DSC00831.jpg

Im fairly happy with how the vent turned out as well as how flush it is and its contour with the fuse itself.

Man this view of the P-51 always reminds me of a Great white sharks big ol nasty looking nose......

DSC00832.jpg

Now I just have to make sure I can duplicate this effort on the port side of the fuse! I ran out of time working on the starboard side............

Until this weekend then Gents!

As always thanks for lookin.......

Cheers,

Brian

Brian,

I know that a lot of us can't wait to see your foiling on this ship but your ongoing build of the P-51

is superb. The pit is outstanding and the ip light is just awesome!

Phil :speak_cool:

.....I am looking forward to seeing you foil this bird....

Me too Texas, I think the next step (maybe even prior to actually finishing the assembly part) is to cut up some foil pieces, get some bleach and shot and start experimenting to get the heat marred/chemically etched panels sorted around the exhaust.

The cool golds and reds produced usually are just more on the surface of the foil, when the heavy duty stuff is used, Im hoping that these chemically altered panels Im putting on Dixie Boy will take a polishing like the normal non-treated heavy duty foil will............we shall see soon enough!!

Thanks again for dropping in guys........

Cheers,

Brian

This build is comming along nicely, the pit is superb, in no small part, because of the detail of those instruments.

You did a great job on those carb intake vents (vent), and made it look so easy too. I have only bad memories of putting those things on my Dragon stang last year, all because I forgot to use the KISS method.

Fred

Hey Brian! I finally made it through the initial approval cycle of the forum, so just had to make a post on your build. You devil you! I wondered why I hadn't heard from you in a while! After going through your build posts, I must say that you are setting the bar up to a very high level for the rest of us. Next thing you know, you will be scratch building museum quality stuff with Mr. Park! Your build pictures and the article are first class all the way. I know everyone, including me, will learn a lot from your project.

I am currently working on a 1/32 F-104G from the Lukewaffe (one of the birds used to train German pilots at Luke AFB) that also has a highly polished NMF. I am slowing the build down so I can watch how you approach the polished surface :lol: . I am sure I will learn a lot. Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:

Hey Brian! I finally made it through the initial approval cycle of the forum, so just had to make a post on your build. You devil you! I wondered why I hadn't heard from you in a while! After going through your build posts, I must say that you are setting the bar up to a very high level for the rest of us. Next thing you know, you will be scratch building museum quality stuff with Mr. Park! Your build pictures and the article are first class all the way. I know everyone, including me, will learn a lot from your project.

I am currently working on a 1/32 F-104G from the Lukewaffe (one of the birds used to train German pilots at Luke AFB) that also has a highly polished NMF. I am slowing the build down so I can watch how you approach the polished surface :beer4: . I am sure I will learn a lot. Keep up the great work! :)

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Ladies and gentlemen..........my foil Master........Ken Friend!

Hey Ken!

Im SOOOOOO glad you joined the forums! Yeah sent ya a blip on e-mail last month but didnt know if you would be interested in comin on LSP. I guess I was stupid to think you wouldn't enjoy yourself here cause this place has some of the best and coolest modelers around.

Now I can show these guys where I learned all my tricks from!

Nice to have ya at the party..

Cheers,

Brian

Well got a bit more work done but mainly sanding and filling.

Worked on the guns, got the brass blast tubes painted and the MM .50 cals assembled and painted.

DSC00834.jpg

DSC00836.jpg

Ok guys here we go....

Im in the middle of sanding/filling on Dixe Boy, and have some paint to let try on blast tubes and landing gear so I decided to start making a new batch of discolored foil using the "Friendly" method. Like my play on words Ken? :BANGHEAD2:

I myriad of colors can be achieved using this method, including golds, greens, reds and ambers. However there are some steps that must be taken before these colors can be achieved.

Here are the things I am going to employ using this method:

Pennies - I usually wash them prior as my change jar is kinda grimy (10-30 should easily cover it)

DSC00837.jpg

Lead buck shot - (I used "9" buck shot here because it very small and works great for nose weight - any size lead buck shot can be used here)

25lb bag seems ridiculous but they dont sell it in smaller sizes round her for shot gun loaders - actully the 25lb bag of lead is NOT that big

DSC00840.jpg

Dont forget to double bag with heavy duty bags once open!

DSC00845.jpg

Sealed mason jar -

DSC00838.jpg

Household bleach -

DSC00843.jpg

First go in the pennies....

DSC00847.jpg

Then lead shot....

DSC00848.jpg

Then household bleach..

DSC00849.jpg

I fill the jar about half full of chlorine bleach.