Sieben Schwaben Battle Axe Fokker D VII

Hans

I have started cutting plastic on Battle Axes' Fokker D VII kit. The kit is of the short-run variety and a rather crude one on top of that. Main issues are the badly defined traling edges of the wings, the overly-thick struts and and a badly formed engine that needs replacement.

The model will be finished as an OAW (Ostdeutsche Albatros Werke) licence-built Fokker with cartoon characters from the german folk tale about the Sieben Schwaben (The seven Swabians) on both sides of the fuselage. The aircraft was flown by Gefr. Wilhelm Sceutzel of Jasta 65. See pic below.

post-1501-1263126541.jpg

Edited by Hans

To correct the trailing edges of the upper wing I made a template from the scale drawing in the Fokker D VII anthology publication from Windsock, enlarged to 1:32. Using a scalpel I cut out the crescents between the wingribs on both the upper and lower wing half. After that the traling edges were sanded to paper-thickness and the wings halves glued together. More tweaking (sanding, cutting, cut fingers and cursing) is to follow.

post-1501-1263127450.jpg

The photo shows the template laid on top of the wing

• 2 weeks later...

OMG! How did I miss the beginning of this one?! Alright Hans! Glad to see you got started on this. :wow: Sheesh, I know what you mean about that wing shape. It's all there, but it sure needs a bit of coaxing to bring it out. Whooeee, I've been waiting to see somebody with more skills than I'll ever have take a whack at this kit. Had fun with mine, but didn't put the time and effort that you put into your projects. Cool! :wow: Looking forward to watching this one progress! :thumbsup: Later, Russ

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Sorry Gregory, can't help you with your fix. The XTC lab on the island where I live has had a nasty labour accident last month leaving two operators dead from toxic fumes. The pills labeled "Fokker" were all confiscated by the police.

Haven't done much lately I'm afraid. I bought an Hasegawa Ki-44 3 weeks ago. I am working on it right now and it is almost finished. Quite scary how this thing simply falls together.

For the Fokker I have grinded out the cockpit walls, bought an replacement engine (Toms' Modelworks 160 Hp Daimler Benz, a very nice kit) that will be turned into the 180 hp variant and am scratching my head how to replace the overthick struts. I tried flattened brass tube with a steel wire insert, but that wasn't strong enough. I think I'll try 0.9 mm thin walled steel tube from Small Parts in the same way, appropriately flattened to get the airfoil form right . I'll coninue with the Fokker next week or so after I have finished the Shoki. Please be patient :evil_laugh: .

Hans

and am scratching my head how to replace the overthick struts. I tried flattened brass tube with a steel wire insert, but that wasn't strong enough.

Hans

Flatten brass tube with a steel core wasn't strong enough? Are you planning on using the truss to support a bridge across a ditch or something? I used to build U-control aircraft that used flat brass and steel wire for struts and they could take some pretty good beatings in landing.

I'm just curious as to what you define as strong in this case. :evil_laugh:

• 1 month later...

Finally finished the ki-44, so work on the Fokker can continue. Remade the stearing column/bar/pedals contraption after photos i found on the net, made new sidewalls and am now working on the tubular cockpit frame.

post-1501-1269083819.jpg

original kit parts on the right. I used the much thinned kits rudder bar/pedals

Sabre, the steel insert is only .3 mm thick, not enough to prevent the soft brass from bending

I have started cutting plastic on Battle Axes' Fokker D VII kit. The kit is of the short-run variety and a rather crude one on top of that. Main issues are the badly defined traling edges of the wings, the overly-thick struts and and a badly formed engine that needs replacement.

The model will be finished as an OAW (Ostdeutsche Albatros Werke) licence-build Fokker with cartoon characters from the german folk tale about the Sieben Schwaben (The seven Swabians) on both sides of the fuselage. The aircraft was flown by Gefr. Wilhelm Sceutzel of Jasta 65. See pic below.

post-1501-1263126541.jpg

Hello Hans,

Tell me please, did these decals come with the kit. or did you buy them somewhere else?

The Sieben Swabians are great!

If they are aftermarket please tell me from whom I can buy them.

Thanks,

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

There are no decals for the Sieben Schwaben available at the moment. They 'll have to be done the old-fashioned way, by means of a brush and paint.

Regards,

Hans

Hi Stephen,

There are no decals for the Sieben Schwaben available at the moment. They 'll have to be done the old-fashioned way, by means of a brush and paint.

Regards,

Hans

Hello Hans,

Painting the figures by hand will be the easy part of making this model, for me, at least.

Tell me please, what is the name of the book this page came from?

I would prefer to copy from a better reproduction than this scan.

Also I would need more information of the other colors used, the camouflage scheme on the rest of the airplane, any details as to the data printed on the sides, etc.

Please point me in the right direction to get this info.

Many thanks,

Stephen

Stephen,

The scan came from Fokker D.VII Anthology 3, published in 2002 by Albatros productions Ltd. The book also includes 3 photos of the 1:1 aircraft that carried these characters. The colors on the scan are an interpretation by the artist, Ray Rimell. The book is available directly from the publishers priced £ 20 ex P&P. Their website: www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk

No doubt Wingnut will issue one of their Fokkers with decals for the Sieben Schwaben in the nearby future.

Best regards,

Hans

Stephen,

The scan came from Fokker D.VII Anthology 3, published in 2002 by Albatros productions Ltd. The book also includes 3 photos of the 1:1 aircraft that carried these characters. The colors on the scan are an interpretation by the artist, Ray Rimell. The book is available directly from the publishers priced £ 20 ex P&P. Their website: www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk

No doubt Wingnut will issue one of their Fokkers with decals for the Sieben Schwaben in the nearby future.

Best regards,

Hans

Hi guys

I have done outline artwork for this, both sides, when we (PD Decals) did decals for this aircraft in 1/72 and 1/48. I am happy to send you a copy if you like, or perhaps a scan?

PR