FOKKER D-VIII

ruzlkampf

Whooooo, yeah! Had a dream last night on how to install this wing, and popped outta bed VERY early for me to get started......before I forgot. :P Went together like a dream (pun intended), and I was strutting around like a silver-backed gorilla with my chest all puffed out thumping on my chest ,.....until ....I happened to look at the crude directions and noticed that was the recommended way to do it. :( Bwhahahaha! Aaaah well, one of these days I'll actually learn to look at those deerections first.

Hey Gregory, glad you're following along! You've REALLY got my curiosity piqued about that Avis/Evis(?) kit you ordered. I'm gonna have to look into that, along with those new sites. Hans touched on something I haven't been looking forward to....how to lay that lozenge down on the D-VII correctly. The E-V/D-VIII I've got figured out, sorta. Funny you should mention a 1/28th conversion of that triplane........ ;) .

I'm going to be starting on the decals for this build tonight Hans, so I should know if these ink-jet versions work OK. If they work, I'll have a set of the 5-color lozenge made up for ya tomorow. Expect a PM for an address to send them to. Were they flying those D-VII's against Handley-Page bombers? That profile has markings that look very similar to what Jasta 6 used on theirs. Very cool. B)

Okay, here's how I ended up putting that forest of struts together and all lined up to prop the wing into position. Thank goodness I hadn't glued the wing 1/2's together yet! The bottom piece is basically flat until it's glued to the top, so it was a simple matter of inverting everything for assembly. Wing requires careful sanding, as looking at it from the front the bottom tapers up with a bit of dihedral, and the top tapers down into anhedral as it nears the tips. Bottom wing isn't flat anymore. Here's a pic of my hi-tech wing aligning jig;

post-4413-1255292246.jpg

And here's a shot of yet another of my dry-fit tests to make sure everything is still aligned. I'm gettin there, slowly but surely.

post-4413-1255292323.jpg

While I was getting the correct taper sanded into my wings, I ditzed around with getting those PE control horns into the elevators/stab. Eeeesh, those things were small. Heck, this whole airplane is small! Time to make myself a sandwich and go back to bed for another nap. Then time for round-2 of working on this today. More pics tonight! Later, Russ

post-4413-1255292655.jpg

Dadgummit Gregory, you're determined to get me to be a member of that forum aren't you?! :punk: Can't see the pics without membership, but ooooh I'm curious as a cat to see what it looks like. Where do you order the Avis kit from? Gah, I'm not even done with this one yet and I'm already looking for another. heh heh.

Thanks Håkan! :goodjob: One of these days, you just might get the 'Fokker Fever' too,....never say never! Yep Vaughn, looking over at the fuse on this thing, I'll bet it isn't even 6 inches long.(without the rudder or cowl) A 1/48th Mustang would dwarf it!

Been doing some 'tough testing' on the decals tonight, and thought I'd share some revelations. First time I've used ink-jet decals, so it's been a learning experience.. Wanted to keep Hans updated on results. Okay, on the left is what's left of a scrap piece of these decals with no sealer; after being dipped in water. Uh oh sphagettios! They went poof. In the center are some that I laid a THICK coat of sealer on,....so much that it got the decal 'wet', and pieces stuck to the paper. BLAST! On the right is 2 very light coats of sealer. Eureka!

While I have these out, I went ahead and put some micro-sol on them to see if it would shrivel them like a slug dropped in salt. Okay, that was gross....I didn't say that. ;) So far, they've proven indestructible....and look like they're painted on they're so thin. Very nice. Also tried them around some corners to see what would happen,handled them pretty rough by moving them around, and the versions with 2 thin coats of sealer are going to do fine. After these dry, they get the clear-coat test. I want to see what happens with lacquer/enamel/ and acrylics to see if there's any adverse reactions. Should have some of these laid on the model by tomorrow night, so I'll post some pics of how it goes, eh?

Later all, Russ

post-4413-1255339491.jpg

Nice work! Keep on!

Got my Avis D-VIII via hobbyterra.com of Ukraina. They are fast and have a great service. I have ordered there over a few years without any trouble, and got free replacement for missing sprues (of sealed bags- manufacturers fault) too. Secure online payment with credit card via one of that large professional services. Highly recommended!

Regards! - dutik

It's a pleasure!

There is a full review of the Avis kit right down here at LSPs review section. I have the kit too, and the review hits the nail. Parts are somewhat greasy as most kits from east european manufacturers. Fit is good. Nice details, but I have added a PE set for the Focker DR-1 to spice up the cockpit as well as for the cooling jackets of the Spandaus. Part of Poland, iirc. Also Eduards superb lacing for that line at the fuselage bottom. Is is well-represented in styrene, but I prefer to have the lacing on top of the Lozenge. Should make detail painting easier. My Lozenge will be Techmods sheet.

If you follow the link inside the LSP review to the other review you will find there an extra link to the Aerodrome. It is linked to a in-depth diskussion of staining of Focker wings. Surprise: The original stains are in production even now in Germany! So just in case you want to paint the wings in solid colors, have a look. They tell you even the correct angle of application :goodjob:

Have fun! - dutik

p.s. Will build mine next year.

Hey Russ,

Those Lozenge decal look great.Can't wait to see how well they go down on your E.V. Not trying to :please: but yeah I'd love to see your WW I projects posted over at the Aerodrome.I've happily returned to WW I modeling after many years now that my scale of choice has really hit the market with those wonderful Roden,Special Hobby,and Wingnut kits.Not to mention Hobbycrafts excellent SPAD XIII's , as all way my very favorite of all the WW I aircraft.

You asked about where I got my Avis Fokker E.V/D.VIII at,well I,ve ordered mine through Mike Taylor's Roden Co-Op order.At present I'll waiting for my E.V, Nieuport 28, SSW D.III, and a PJ Productions German pilot.Mike is a member here as well you may have seen his thread on the Encore/Roden Albatros D.II. Anyway check out his co-op sale multiple Roden kits are just $40.00 each and the Avis E.V/D.VIII is $45.00. Very good prices indeed.

Highest Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Here's a link for you to Mike's site. Or you could PM him for all the info.

http://www.misterkitusa.com/

Whooeee, Kinda had a frustrating night with these darn decals. Long story short, couldn't get them to 'seal' with any kind of reliability. Much was learned, and I now have made them bullet-proof. The micro-sol stuff that I was brushing on wasn't cutting it, so I called out the hounds and just sprayed them with a thin coat of clear lacquer. Problem solved.

I was so darn happy I finally got these things 'Russ-proof'; I just had to post a pic of the first one I put on without any cracks, white spots, or blemishes! :P Yippee! Now I just have to figure out how to get the sides on in one piece around those struts. :huh: Be back after I do a little more head-scratching. Later, Russ

post-4413-1255437096.jpg

Thanks Håkan!, Yep, I'm working my way to finishing off those decals tonight! :clap2: Heeey Rick, where ya been bud?! Been missing your effervescent personality here on the forums. They aren't working ya too hard, are they?! :innocent:

Came home and did about an hours work on this thing in preparation of putting those decals on the side. Was going to be handling it a lot, and didn't want any 'accidents'. I put the decal on the fuse deck first, cuz I had to do that before installing the pilot. He woulda been in the way, and I wanted to paint the coaming around the pit before installing him anyway. Now, there's a funky little piece that goes between the mg's to close out the fuse that was going to be a bugger....but I figured out a work-around. Here we go! Cockpit coaming and seat painted, then the pilot pluncked in.

post-4413-1255508328.jpg

Before installing the pilot, I cut a piece of styrene and placed it on top of the frame rails in the pit. This is a sequence of events I've been dreading. Oh yeah, I managed to get my gas gauge fairing a wee bit too far back. Whups.

post-4413-1255508447.jpg