Airfix 1/24th Mustang

Ironwing

All,

Ive deleted the posts which picture the flaps with the flap slide fairings in place. The flap pics are good and the structures as shown are accurate. The flap guide fairings however were incorrect in that the fastener detail was applied in the wrong manner. More specifically, the fastener detail, on the flap guide fairings, does not follow in the same plane as the fasteners whch hold the flap skins on. The fairing fasteners are located between the fastener lines on the flap skins. Ive redone them but havent been able to get pics yet. Ill follow up shortly with them.

Continuous research can be so cruel sometimes. I must have seen the pic which finally brought attention to my error a hundred times but didnt realize it. Anyway, the error is fixed. Pics soon...

Hope this hasnt caused anyone a problem.

Cheers,

Geoff

All,

Ive deleted the posts which picture the flaps with the flap slide fairings in place. The flap pics are good and the structures as shown are accurate. The flap guide fairings however were incorrect in that the fastener detail was applied in the wrong manner. More specifically, the fastener detail, on the flap guide fairings, does not follow in the same plane as the fasteners whch hold the flap skins on. The fairing fasteners are located between the fastener lines on the flap skins. Ive redone them but havent been able to get pics yet. Ill follow up shortly with them.

Continuous research can be so cruel sometimes. I must have seen the pic which finally brought attention to my error a hundred times but didnt realize it. Anyway, the error is fixed. Pics soon...

Hope this hasnt caused anyone a problem.

Cheers,

Geoff

Don't worry Geoff...Been there, done that (and still doing it!). :frantic:

Derek

Happy New Year All,

Back to the business at hand. The flap fairing correction has been done and new tail plane fairings have been made. The ailerons are a work in progress. After some experimenting i think the surface detail will have to be added after they are built. The addition of the rivet detail before hand distorts the aileron skin too much.

Anyway, here are the new flap fairings as they should be...

post-1406-1262380538.jpg

The flaps themselves havent been changed. Only the fairing which closes the gap between the LE of the flap and the TE of the wing has been redone. The first ones had the rivet lines in plane with the flap skin rivet lines. This was/is incorrect. The new fairings have the rivet lines between the flap skin rivet lines as they should be. They've also been reduced in size. The others were too big. The rivet detail on the flaps is also on the big side. However, since the flaps will be painted, Im hoping the paint and finishing sprays will fill some of it in.

post-1406-1262380632.jpg

The new tail fillets. These are thinner by about fifty percent and fit better. The .010 card is a bit more fragile but it gives a much better thickness. Again, I think the fastener detail will have to be added after they are attached. The jury is still out on this one. The details on the last ones were too big.

post-1406-1262381024.jpg

If you look at the leading edge of the new fillet, you can see how thin they are. They're far more scale like this way. Just hope I dont screw them up :deadhorse:

The ailerons are a work in process and thats its for this update...

Hope everyone is well \\Cheers,

Geoff

post-1406-1262381700.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just went through your work in progress and looked at all you have dun to this kit and must say That your doing a outstanding job on it. I am no expert on the P-51D but what your doing looks spot on. I look forward to seeing it finished.

Texas :popcorn: :evil_laugh: :evil_laugh:

Hapy New Year to everyone! :speak_cool:

Geoff! Your progres on the model is great. Correctioned flaps looks perfect. Keep it comeing,mate. :thumbsup:

Marek,

Thanks for looking in...glad youre enjoying it

Any updates? Thank you

Hi Doc,

There has been progress, mostly on the ailerons. Its a tough little thing to reproduce. Add to that new research material and photos which cause rework ogf parts, sometimes two and three times, makes the going slow at times. Ill put up some pics shortly.

I just went through your work in progress and looked at all you have dun to this kit and must say That your doing a outstanding job on it. I am no expert on the P-51D but what your doing looks spot on. I look forward to seeing it finished.

Texas :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks Tex.

Pics soon

Greetings All,

As I said in my last update, the ailerons are a work in progress. While they arent completely finished, I thought they were close enough for an update. As has been the plan thus far, they were made from printers aluminum plate. The kit ailerons form the core and are dramatically reduced in size prior to addition of the new skins. The surface detail was put in the old fashioned way with a compass point. Again there was much trial and error before getting it the way I wanted it. The trim tabs were the worst part of the deal. Making those little cutouts for the hinge assemblies was an absolute nightmare. Needless to say, quite a few trim tabs now reside comfortably inside the trash bin.

Making the cutouts themselves wasnt all that difficult. Making them all the same was the problem. The large clearance slot on the inboard end of the aileron is for the aileron actuator assembly.

post-1406-1264104274.jpg

The view looking outboard. The aileron skins on the Mustang extend beyond the internal framing at the inboard end quite a bit. Fortunately, the aluminum skin is strong enough in its own right to pull this off. The thin nature of the material gives a good scale effect as well. Ill need to clean the ends better to removed some residual adhesive.

post-1406-1264105067.jpg