Bf 109F-4/Trop

WrongWay

After several attempts to paint my 190D and not being satisfied with any of them I decided to take a break from it and start a new project. So here I've gone and lopped off the nose of a G-2 and stuck on an F-4. This should keep me busy for a while. I'm using the Aires conversion plus Radu's F canopy and belts. Also an Eagle Editions spinner. I'm busy scribing in panel lines on the fuselage at the moment. After I get that done I'll start work on the oil cooler scoop. I've decided to use the kit oil cooler scoop instead of the Aires one. The Aires cooler is too delicate and it's a bit warped so I'll just cut down the kit part instead. More to come!

IMG_4743.jpg

IMG_4796.jpg

The nose is done in these photos. The other parts I just stuck on to show how it will eventually look.

IMG_5157.jpg

IMG_5161.jpg

IMG_5166.jpg

IMG_5185.jpg

IMG_5192.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
That is looking pretty cool. I vote for Marseille's 109 for sure. I still want to see your Dora done, my brown 18 has been waiting patiently for me...

Matt

I made a real goof of the paintwork on my 190 and had to strip it all off including the tricky rv bands. I actually discovered why I had such a hard time but won't let on to save myself the embarrassment. (Make sure and read all instructions when using new equipment. doh!!) I'll eventually get the urge to go at it again. Amazing how I just got back into this hobby and have three stalled projects already. :lol: Congratulations on your beautiful build of Brown 18 by the way! Superb!

Hi,

Nice clean cut for your new nose. What kit are you using? Where di you get your tail wheel from?

Thanks

Brad

I'm using the Revell/Hasegwa 109G2 kit. The tail wheel comes with the Aires conversion set. The Aires conversion is just beautiful and you get everything you need to make a 109F. You can see the kit here: http://design-marketingintl.com/product_in...products_id=415

Ok it's going to be Marseille's bird by popular vote. :lol: My boss doesn't believe in days off or hobbies so progress is slow! Here is where I'm at though.

Here it is mocked up for some photos. The major surgery is complete with the exception of the oil cooler scoop. I've got it cut down I just need to mold it in.

IMG_5221.jpg

I added the rubber dust gasket around the cowl from plastic card. I'm going to thin it back a bit though.

IMG_5223.jpg

The canopy frame is just tacked in place to check for fit. Making the windows is going to be tricky I think.

IMG_5228.jpg

I made new latches for the sides of the cowl and the hand hold flaps on top from brass. The detail got lost from sanding so I had no choice but to add these raised features. I hope it doesn't look too bad. I also made the fuel filler lids from drink can aluminium.

IMG_5238.jpg

Another lid from aluminium and a panel to boot. The panel covers up a deep sink mark.

IMG_5247.jpg

It's a bit wrinkly but most planes had some stress marks on them anyway. :lol:

IMG_5269.jpg

And last I leave you with the beautiful Eagle Editions spinner. I holowed out the blast tube and then drilled the prop mounts. I cut the Aires prop blades to just slide into the holes in the spinner. Prop pitch will be easy to set and they don't even need glue as I drilled the holes for a tight fit.

IMG_5256.jpg

IMG_5262.jpg

Fantastic work mate! I love the way it looks at the moment - all patchwork and 'bitsy', like I imagine a real one might look on the factory floor before paint. You workmanship is very neat and precise. Can't wait to see more.

Kev

Go on, what did you do wrong on the 190D? I have vested interest in this bird :lol:_

I failed to read the instructions on a new airbrush. It has an unusual nozzle system (to me anyway) and I failed to catch on until it was too late. I had been trying to get a fine spray pattern with the standard nozzle. I was so used to my Iwata and just never put two and two together. There I've got it off my chest! :lol: By the way it's a Badger Renegade Velocity. I really like this airbrush and it has a nice trigger set function too.

Note to self: Read all instructions! The fine nozzle is microscopic compared to other airbrush nozzles I've seen.

IMG1111.jpg

Fantastic work mate! I love the way it looks at the moment - all patchwork and 'bitsy', like I imagine a real one might look on the factory floor before paint. You workmanship is very neat and precise. Can't wait to see more.

Kev

Thanks Kev! I hope to get this one done soonish. I seem to be having a terrible run of stalled projects at the moment. Hopefully this one will break my dry spell.