ME-262 B-1a/U1

ruzlkampf

Got this box outta the closet, and took the shrink-wrap off tonight. If I open a new model box, and look inside....I gotta play with it! Sooo....first thing I gotta do is take some pics to show it's un-started, eh?! :rolleyes: Date on the box says 2007, so I'm good to go. Whoohoo! :P Haven't built a German AC in awhile now, so this is a good excuse to keep my paints all stirred up.

Here's what I'm starting with;

post-4413-1240218448.jpg

Don't have any plans for this thing yet, except it will have 2 MasterDetail German pilots,...and might morph into a 'stretched' proposed version with an enclosed radar. :rolleyes: "We wants it, eh Precious?". More pics as things progress.

post-4413-1240218756.jpg

Wow Russ! You going for some kind of record?

Go to it...

I have this kit also + the Signifier wheels. I just liked it because of the cool antennas.

This is a beautifully done model in it's own right, I'm sure you will enjoy building it.

Allright way too go!! Finished this one some months ago, but it took me a little longer then the time you will need for it. Nice colour schemes also. Be carefull with the fit of the canopy, it is too narrow compared to the fuselage.

Rick.

Hey, thanks for the interest guys!! :rolleyes: Trying to finish off the Ki-84 tonite, but this thing keeps pulling me like a magnet. Doooh! I really like the original kit just as it is,....but, uh....hmmm, just had to take a side-trip to 'Russville' to see what hidden possibilities might be lying dormant in this hunk of plastic. Did some cursory investigating on 'what might have been' if the war had lasted into the summer of '45, and what this night-fighter woulda morphed into. Ooooh, MY!, was there some interesting stuff?! :rolleyes:

This isn't Luft '46 fantasy stuff,(as much as I'd like to go there...heh heh :blink: ) but actually had metal cut and was almost ready to go. I have scaled some drawings here, and superimposed them onto my Messerschmitt 'works' drawings.(these were amazingly accurate when I enlarged them. Whoohoo!) OK, at the top is the B-1a trainer which the night-fighter is derived from....followed down further by the B-1a/U1 itself.

Now below that is the B-2a. This was actually being built, and was a more refined version of the B-1a. Added a little over 3 feet in length, by adding plugs for/aft of the pit. This restored fuel capacity, and added 2 more Mk-108's in a shrage-musik arrangement amongst a few other things. Hmmm, that looks pretty cool too; but the aerials(which I like too) still cut 30mph off the top speed.

Sooo...they took the other B-2a prototype, and were putting a 'Morganstern' type antenna on the front with the aerials sticking outta a plywood nose-cone. Guess the 'Berlin' radar(with a dish antenna) was coming online at this time, and there was some new CRT clored display to go along with it. Along with a newer 'cut-down' 1-piece canopy for less drag, and some other refinements....they woulda negated that speed deficit. Cool! So, the pics below the B-2a are proposals for varying radar placement....which slightly altered the length and 'pointyness' of the nose depending on where/how it was going to be installed. Whew! Enough of the back-ground stuff....let's see what it'll look like on the model, eh?! :blink:

Here's my new 'hacked' profile scan to show the progression I'm talking about.

post-4413-1240482436.jpg

Let the games begin! :rolleyes: I enlarged these drawings to 1/32nd scale just for giggles, and laid the kit fuse 1/2 on them for a comparison. These later versions of the B-2a didn't have an extended rear fuse--the new reduced area cockpit glass is moved forward. So, I played around and moved it forward with the 'Paint' program to see how well it would blend in. Sweet! This is the 'short nose' Berlin radar install.(lengthens the nose by, I'd guesstimate a scale foot)

post-4413-1240474294.jpg

For comparison purposes, here's a pic of the fuse 1/2 placed on a 'long nose' radar install...and I didn't move the rear cockpit 'hump' forward in Paint. I'm having an easy time envisioning doing this mod. Why? :rolleyes:

1. I'd get a chance to 're-blow' the cockpit glass (which is a mite too narrow, eh Rick?!)

2. The front gun-bay panels don't line up too hot from what I hear, and this would side-step that landmine.

3. I need weight in the nose to have it sit on all 3 whels anyway, right?

4. 90% of the kit would remain un-affected by this version. (uh, oh...I'm talking myself right into this. :rolleyes: )

5. I don't think anybody has ever tried this before?

6. I get to come up with a new cool 'late-war' color scheme.

Whaddya ya'll think? :blink:

post-4413-1240474365.jpg

Muwahahahah! Couldn't call it a night until I tried out this new nose at least once. Still haven't violated the original kit in any way,....but it's getting tempting, oh so very tempting. :rolleyes:

Slapped a few pieces of scrap card together to see what the 'lines' look like, and I'm REALLY liking this. Few small walk-around pics. Guess they'll either make ya cough up hairballs,....or go hmmm, at the very least. :rolleyes: Check it out.

post-4413-1240470368.jpg

post-4413-1240470386.jpg

Gonna design it to slip on/off the front, until I decide if I'm going this route. Was really surprised how easy it'll be to go from a triangular cross-section to a circle. Kinda reminds me of an F-89 Scorpion nose.

post-4413-1240470460.jpg

post-4413-1240470480.jpg

Most important thing (to me anyway) about this test-fit, was if I was going to be able to retain a forward firing armament. No problemos for Bonzo here. This is looking more 'n more doable. I'm starting to drool, and get that 1000yrd. stare. :rolleyes:

Oooooh my. More pics as things develop. Later, Russ

post-4413-1240470648.jpg

post-4413-1240470666.jpg