Stukas over Disneyland

big matt

Ok, I couldn't resist. Looked like things were gonna be fun over here so what the heck! Had this kit since it came out and needed an excuse to build it. It won't be a Rudel bird so I am open to suggestions. Maybe a Luftflotte 4 plane with the yellow stripes. I have the Voyager resin wheels and prop. I was a bit disappointed that the blades were copies of the incorrect kit parts but the spinner is nice. Hoping to get this started as soon as I put the finishing touches on my Frank over in the Rising Sun build.

stuka1005.jpg

Matt

Hi Matt I when I saw you pic I was think he I have the same wheels (Voyager) lol then hum forget to look futher to get the prop now reading I understand that I did not miss the prop that hard.

I must say realy love the detail's great kit.

Can't figure out where Disneyland comes into this ? :huh:

Erwin,

I'm just guessing here, but seeing he's from Los Angeles kinda makes me think that's here the Disneyland reference is coming from. ;)

Dan

Can't figure out where Disneyland comes into this ? :huh:

Sorry for the somewhat obscure title to this build. When I was a kid I was a fan of a punk band called The Dickies. They released an album in 1983 entitled "Stukas Over Disneyland". Every time I see a Stuka I think of that song and it kinda brings out the 14 year old in me. ;)

Matt

Thanks Lee! That one never made it to CD in my collection so I haven't heard it in a while.

Well I finally got started on this beast. I wanted to play with the cannons first to see if I needed to use turned barrels. Jury is still out on that one. There is a lot of work to be done as I think they are the focal point of the plane. Lots of wiring to come.

I drilled out the muzzle brake and thinned it down as well.

stuka2.jpg

stuka2-3.jpg

This is the scheme I will be making. Got my Eagle Cals yesterday.

stuka2-4.jpg

That's it for now.

Matt

Got some more work done on this thing. Not following the instructions in order is rapidly becoming a bad habit for me.

stuka3001.jpg

stuka3007.jpg

I think there is supposed to be a hinged door covering the area above the shell ejection port. If anyone can confirm, that would be great.

stuka3004.jpg

I also replaced the box on this side of the cannon as the kit part was just a slab of plastic.

I am stalling for time before moving on to the cockpit...

Oh, yeah,....nice choice for the markings. Man, you must have some gnarly ref material to be wiring those 'broom-sticks' up like that?! :P

You don't need no stinkin deerections, Matt...they're for the weak. :rolleyes: heh heh.

Got some more work done on this thing. Not following the instructions in order is rapidly becoming a bad habit for me.

stuka3001.jpg

stuka3007.jpg

I think there is supposed to be a hinged door covering the area above the shell ejection port. If anyone can confirm, that would be great.

stuka3004.jpg

I also replaced the box on this side of the cannon as the kit part was just a slab of plastic.

I am stalling for time before moving on to the cockpit...

Matt, the photos I've found show a hinged door on the end of the shell loading chute. The hinge is on the bottom edge of the opening and the door drops down. The ejector chute doesn't have a door in my pic.

Those guns look great and will really spiff up the model.

Hey Russ, as far as ref material goes, it's mostly what I can scavenge online. I have plenty of Luftwaffe books for pics but data is pretty thin on D and G models. I am also trying to avoid the compulsion to buy books for everything I build... It is only sort of working.

John, I knew about the magazine loading door but it is tough to get pictures of the other side of these weapons. I saw a few shots where they had a hinged door above the spent shell ejection port. I kind of made it from rod and strip styrene. Looks like some had it and some did not. Oh well. Thanks.

Found this link on the cannons. Scary stuff.

http://video.filestube.com/video,a88c91ff92d37b6403ea.html

Matt

The kit propeller blades seem to be incorrect for a G model. I just wanted to throw out a comparison to beat it to death. ;)

Hasegawa 190 A blade on the left, Voyager resin in the middle, kit blade on the right.

stuka4001.jpg

I know I am supposed to use blades from a Dora but all I had were blades from an A-8. Close enough and the price is right.

The spinner from the Voyager prop set is pretty nice. Nice rivets and the hole for the cone release is there as well. Voyager molded it without the plug in the tip of the spinner. Apparently these fell out with some regularity and having it or not seems to be a valid choice. It does appear to be a bit bigger than the kit piece but am unsure which is closer to scale.

stuka4002.jpg

I just cut some evergreen tube and slid it on the A-8 blade and it fits right into the Voyager spinner. Easy-peasy.

stuka4003.jpg

I think it looks a lot better than the kit part or the resin blades.

stuka4004.jpg

The cockpit is calling, I think...