Violet Lightning--Improved N1K2-J

the horror..... Hey, is that Marlon Brando? Martin Sheen must be around here somewhere :rolleyes: :P . Ok, enough twisted humor...these are the parts I"ll be using to customize the pilot figure. He was seated but I'm going to have him looking a bit more alert and making a statement.

post-345-1244111654.jpg

remember the silver paint that didn't mix well with the Alclad II, well the nose cone has been sanded and painted again...look how slick and smooth it is now. If you look close enough you can even see the camera reflected in the paint. Movin' on...hopefully the next images will have more substantial progress.

post-345-1244111863.jpg

Hey Dave, no secrets here its just gloss black paint from a rattle can sprayed over a polished nose cone. There is a reason for using black at this stage but I'll wait until I get the IJN green on the plane to show you why. The image also shows two of the spinner back plates, one is from the kit and I made the other as a spare. The kit piece had U-shaped raised portions to fit under each prop blade but that didn't match images of the real props so I cut them off. In the process I gouged a liittle too much plastic.

I don't have any blueprints to go by as far as proper dimensions but the outline major components ooks spot on to me when compared to images on the internet and the 1/48 Hasegawa kit. I've only heard positive comments about that kit so it must be right. My opinion of this N1K2, the Ki-84 and A6M2 by Tomy / Swallow is buy them and build them if you can find them at a good price. Its still the only N1K2-J in 1/32 and I'm very pleased with it overall.