Violet Lightning--Improved N1K2-J

Finally...I got the IJN green on the overall paint scheme. Its also enamel mainly because thats what I had in stock from probably 10 years ago. It went on smoothly and in this image its stsill wet and shiny.

post-345-1244395263.jpg

Man, I really like IJN green and it really looks good on the bulky frame of the N1K2. I know there are plenty of guys who don't really like the WWII Japanese aircraft too much. Sometimes their paint schemes can be a bit boring (green over grey or aluminum) but thats not me, I really like building their aircraft. Most of them had very pleasing lines and some had catchy paint schemes.

post-345-1244395441.jpg

Which reminds me... a few posst ago Russ asked me if I'd chosen the paint scheme yet. Most guys paint the George with the marking for the 343rd fighter group for good reason, they were the elite fighter squadron using the bests aircraft the Japanese could give them at the time. On top of that most modelers usually do Kanno's paint scheme. It is really catchy with the broad yellow stripes and white accents but thats the very reason I wanted to do something different. Well here it is...a bit flashy and one that I've never seen modeled before.

post-345-1244395867.jpg

...and here's the 2nd part......Its a KAMIKAZE FIGHTER...AHAAA!!!! I mean, this is a group build for the Rising Sun and so far I haven't seen anybody build a Kamikaze aircraft. It's your perfect chance to put aside all the politics and taboo of the suicide practice and just do it for the group.

post-345-1244395963.jpg

I know, I see the little flaws too but I'm still working with it. Sometimes I will leave slight imperfections if they look "to scale" because I've seen in photos where the human factor would show itself on actual combat aircraft and they would have paint glitches. I've also experienced that you'll sometimes make a larger mistake when trying to correct a small one so we'll see. I really like this emblem and figure they would probably apply it the day or night before the pilot planned to go on his flight as a way to honor and encourage him so thats why the paint is very glossy....its only been on there a few hours.

post-345-1244396368.jpg

which means it should be carryin a couple of very dangerous explosive devices....like THESE!! I just srobbed them from the often forgotten Hasegawa Ki-43 Oscar. That fighter looks so under-fed that if jut wouldn't look right with it trying to carry them but on the big shoulders of the George...no sweat. This gentlemen, is why we have model stashes. Keep that in mind next time you're asked why you have sooooo many kits. For me, its written down, folded and stuffed in my wallet.

post-345-1244396635.jpg

My final note for today is the kit 20 mm gun barrels are a bit anemic. This image compares them to a nicely detailed 1/32 .50 cal from the old Revell Sherman M4 tank kit. The 20's should be noticeably larger and simply will not work in this case. I've got a creative solution but I'll spring that on you next time.

post-345-1244397887.jpg

This is whats left of the 1/32 21st Century Toys Wurbelwind or whirlwind anti-aircraft gun that I gave to my son. It came with four beautifully detailed 20 mm cannons. The whole time he was playing with it I was eye balling those cannons. Well it paid off and now they're going to be mounted on on the Georges wings.

post-345-1244488965.jpg